PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Licence

A320 SFO
26th Feb 2003, 09:51
Dear Colleagues,

As a professional airline pilot I feel that all the loss of licence schemes available on the market at present, barely offer you the basics should you be unfortunate to lose your Medical and hence stop flying.

Along with another colleague (also a professional) we are developing an exclusive loss of licence fund.
What is outstanding and difficult to find are the statistics of Class 1 losses over the last 10 years and the predictive figures for the next 5-8 years.

Should you be able to assist it would be gratefully appreciated as this project will most definatly lead to a succesful fund.

Regards

A320 SFO

Officedesk
27th Feb 2003, 11:52
The biggest problem with Loss Of Licence is that the CAA never actually take away ones licence anymore - even for the most serious of illnesses or conditions. This is supposed to help you eventually regain your flying status.

When you get an illness or condition that stops you flying for longer than 30 days, you will be issued with a provisional suspension of flying status letter by the CAA.

Except for very clear cut cases, loss of limbs, loss of sight etc, you can remain provisionally suspended for years.

If consultants and the CAA finally decide that there is no current medical procedure available to regain your flying status then they will issue another letter placing you on Long Term Sick. Few consultants ever like to admit to there being nothing further that they can do - especially if you are under lucrative private care.

Loss of Licence insurers will not even talk to you until you get to the long term stage. Even at this stage you will still have to prove to the insurer that you will never be returned to flying status. Whether they pay or not is still discretionary!!!

Loss of licence is an important insurance, especially if you do not yet have a job, but it will not give you the protection that you will need when you lose your income.

How do I know this? Well I have been through it. I am thankfully now back flying after 2 and a half years off due to an apparently straightforward illness. I am now somewhat enlightened about how difficult a time it is being grounded and how important the right insurance is.

My personal recommendation is that you make sure you have an own occupation, Permanent Health Insurance (PHI) policy that will start to pay out when your employer stops your salary.

I, fortunately, had such a policy and I claimed under it during my time off. The claim process was simple and clear. It gave me a reasonable tax free salary whilst my employer was not paying me.

I will gladly pass to you details of the policy that I have. Either email me or leave a private message.

mfds
14th Mar 2003, 09:40
Officedesk - Could you email the details of your PHI scheme please to [email protected] THANKS

I have recently reduced my large cover via the old AUA (now BFS) sheme, but still pay around £50pcm for £100K worth of cover.
I hear more and more stories like yours, I have an employer scheme as well and feel maybe my own cover might be better in a PHI policy .....

Diabetes is my biggest fear, of whom I know a few friends who have got class one diabetes, this is probably one of the rare cases when normal LOL will pay out .....

Regards

Officedesk
15th Mar 2003, 08:45
On it's way to you mfds.

By the way Diabetes is not neccessarily a grounder anymore. Full blown type 1 certainly is a game-stopper, but there are many people still flying with diet , or light dose insulin tablets controlled, type 2 diabetes.

So once again it can still take a long time for consultants and the CAA to finally decide where you stand.

mfds
20th Mar 2003, 00:35
Officedesk - Thanks, but I never received it .... check my email address [email protected] .... (its and underscrore between mfds and uk ).

Thanks

Officedesk
20th Mar 2003, 18:08
Hi Mfds

On it's way to you with an underscore. If you don't get it then let me know.