PDA

View Full Version : course costing 60,000

liquidhockey
29th Mar 2001, 14:35
i just found out that the air transport operations course at city university will cost 60,000 pounds. Can anyone give me some advice on how i can get this as i am not from a rich background. i am 17 and will be getting the money myself with little help from my parents. i am willing to take a year out to earn some money to go towards the course.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Trislander
29th Mar 2001, 14:51
Hi
I am 17 and in my first year at college. I looked at the prospectus for the course at London City Uni and the minimum cost is about £42,000. It can get as high as £60,000 though. I think it depends on where you do your ATPL. I am also willing to take a year out to work for the money as well as seeing if I can get a large businesses to sponsor me. Not sure if I will have any luck with that though.
What do you reckon?
By the way, are you in your 1st year at college?

Tri

liquidhockey
29th Mar 2001, 16:36
yes im in my first year at college are you?
what area are you at college? im in manchester.
Could you tell me what the choice of flight clubs there are to make the overall price cheaper?
i intend to take a year out and earn more money and try the airlines too. if not then i REALLY want to do this course at city.
Thanx buddy
Dave

lazybones
30th Mar 2001, 12:03
Liquid,

Your young with hopefully no real commitments. If your serious about flying i'd get some dosh together and try hitting the US!! The training & cost of living is cheaper. And flying is a lot cheaper!!! Come back with some hours and a wedge of fun memories.

Lazy

WX Man
30th Mar 2001, 15:20
Lazybones speaks sooth.

If i were in your position now, I'd go to one of these US universities that do degrees integrated with flight training. They cost quite a lot of money (and take 4 years), but it seems to me that there are potential advantages:

1. Foot in the door as far as the US immigration authorities are concerned

2. You get a degree

3. You get a CPL/IR

4. You meet a shed load of people from the US, including members of the opposite sex (marriage of convenience implications).

Trislander
30th Mar 2001, 16:25
I can see your point, it is a very good idea. I wouldn't mind living in the US. Do you need good qualifications to get into the yank uni's though?
What would I need?

Liquidhockey - I am in my 1st year, yes. I am in Hampshire. I think the choice of ATPL colleges are OATS, Cabair and one other. can't remember what it is though. I am definately going to try the airlines first as well though. I would rather not spend all of that money unless I have to! What do you think about this US idea?
Cheers mate,
Tri

PS had to re-type this message as I am not sure if I sent it properly. If there are two of these messages, please ignore one of them!

jonathang
30th Mar 2001, 20:06
I am 18 years old and have just started at Univercity on a course I hate. A Big mistake always wanted to become a pilot and planend to do it as Post Grad. I don't think I can surrvive till then. Anyone advice on the best course of action to get into a training program?

Thanks
Jonathan

Roadtrip
1st Apr 2001, 21:11
If you're interested in US Aviation Colleges, he's a list from the American Airlines Mentoring Web Page. Lots of good ones, especially Univ of North Dakota program. Transfer/applicability of UK schooling shouldn't be a problem, as UK schools hold an excellent reputation.

www.aapilots.com/public/flash/mentoring.asp?content_id=1280 (http://www.aapilots.com/public/flash/mentoring.asp?content_id=1280)

ronchonner
1st Apr 2001, 23:00
go to the USA,fly!log time and in 5 years , you will be a real pilot with thousand of hours on 20 different aircrafts.
forget the Jaa, its a rip off.you will be in problem, everybody will hate you, you will be in deep dept...
look at me, ATP pilot, fly for foreign airline,paid,and I have a hudge success with any sexy fl.attendants!i do nt have depts!
the FAA can give you what you want,be a real man, a real pilot...not a gear operator checking boxes for some JAR licences.
damit, when are you going to stop to give your money for your damn government.pilot is a job, need hours and experience...
To think that a young guy like you want paid thousand of EURO make me crazy.you are all the same, falling in this JAA trap and finishing with a nice JAA yellow tattoo "jaa pilot" on the butt!
"he has paid a fortune, no experience except 200 ridiculous hours and he s still dreaming to fly a jet for BA and his ice cream is a nestle JAA frozen ATP"...

up to you,boy!!!
no offence.ok??