PDA

View Full Version : help re e-mailing excel files

woodey
20th Mar 2003, 01:22
i am trying to e-mail an excel file (file.xls) but the recipient tells me it is getting scrambled en route and i should try a different format (?"odd" format)
does anyone know what this means or how i should save and send it differently? i tried e-mailing it to myself and it came out ok as a .xls file

confused:confused:

thanks
woodey

Icarus
20th Mar 2003, 03:33
This begs the question 'Are both sender & receiver using the same version of Excel?".
You might like to use the 'Save As' and save back to an earlier file version and see if that solves the problem.
Otherwise you may wish to create a ZIP file with the Excel file(s) in and let the receiver open that file type instead.

PaperTiger
20th Mar 2003, 15:14
For portability, save and send as a comma-separated variable (.csv) file. This is in the file type drop down when you click 'Save as' in Excel. The recipient should be able to open this file and have it appear as a normal spreadsheet in Excel (other software will also process .csv files happily).

woodey
20th Mar 2003, 16:37
problem solved with PT's suggestion......thanks!
woodey

Ausatco
21st Mar 2003, 11:08
Does that send a working spreadsheet, ie with formulas, or just the visible contents of the cells?

AA

PaperTiger
21st Mar 2003, 15:10
No, just the data (variables).