PDA

View Full Version : .bmp file help needed

atco-matic
19th Mar 2003, 16:35
Hi all, now having probs with .bmp files. I want to edit an aircraft in FS2002, and these are .bmp files. Never used one of these b4, but I have also tried opening a bog standard .bmp file and get the same problem:

I click on the .bmp file to open but I get the message telling me there is no association for this type of file and to go to My Computer, click on Folder Options and create one. This I have tried to do, but when I go to the file type tab and try and do it i get a mesage saying that the ''.bmp extension is already in use by another file type: Photosuite.image - choose another extension'', yet I can find no mention of this in the list or of any program with this name on the pc.

Any Ideas?:confused: :confused: :confused:

RadarContact
19th Mar 2003, 16:47
Next time, deinstall your photosuite properly ;)

Try reinstalling it.

TR4A
19th Mar 2003, 16:55
You should be able to edit or change the association to the file type.

atco-matic
19th Mar 2003, 21:27
OK guys so you didnt help me there... I don't have a program called Photosuite, neither can I remember having a program called Photosuite. I cant change the file extension cos there is nothing to do with .bmp or Photosuite.image on the list to change and when I try to create a new one it says the .bmp extension is already in use by this Photosuite thing!

holbrob
19th Mar 2003, 22:43
Atco, you don't say which version of Windows you are running?? Try this anyway:

Open Explorer,
Select 'View', then 'Folder Options'
Click on the 'File Types' tab and scroll down until you get to 'bitmap image' and then select it.
Click the 'Edit' button, then 'Edit' again. This will give you a box, 'Editing Action For Type: Bitmap Image'. Make an exact note of what it says in this box as a backup.
If you are using Windows 95/98 or Me, type the following into the box (Note : Don't leave a space between the colon and the slash. I have had to because if you put them both together here you get :\ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

"C: \PROGRA~1\ACCESS~1\MSPAINT.EXE" "%1"

This should get you back to the Windows standard paint package, this won't give you a great deal of scope for editing pics. Try and get a copy of Paint Shop Pro or something. It should be fairly easy to get your head around.

Hope this helps!!!!

spannersatcx
20th Mar 2003, 10:54
Start up your image editing software, whatever it may be, paint shop pro etc, and just click file>open and select the file.bmp

atco-matic
21st Mar 2003, 09:33
holbrob, thansk for the suggestion- only problem is that 'bitmap image' is not on the list you describe!!! when I try and create it as a new file type, it won't let me cos it says its .bmp is already in use even though its not in the list! honestly its not there- i'm not blind!

spannersatcx, thanks too but the main reason i want to open a .bmp file is so i can edit aircraft panels in FS2002, which requires the file to have an associated prog for opening it first!

spannersatcx
21st Mar 2003, 10:14
I can't remember (as I don't have it on my pc anymore) doesn't fs2002 pro have some editing program with it, you may need to install it as it may not be automatically done, just a thought.

flyingwysiwyg
21st Mar 2003, 10:30
Acto,

This seems weird.

Try this.

Press and hold down <CTRL> <ALT> and press <DEL>

This should bring up task manager.

Close everything using End Task apart from Explorer and Systray.

Some applications may take a couple of attempts to close and you may get the message "Program not responding" or "waiting for windows close dialogue box to appear". Ignore these and click end task.

Now go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options

Click on The "File Types" Tab

Do you see a picture and BMP?

If you do. Problem solved, hit change and associate the file with your choice of editing application.

If not then

:confused:

Good Luck

RadarContact
23rd Mar 2003, 21:43
atco-matic: It might not be called *.bmp-File in the file type list. Try to check the properties of all file types that seem remotely associated with images. Maybe it's grouped together with some other, more exotic format.