View Full Version : BA Cadets to fly the ATR?

flying doc
17th May 2001, 15:44
Rumour from a FO is that BA are planning to train future cadets on the ATR and not all jets.. any thoughts?

foghorn
17th May 2001, 16:05
Something to do with the CFE merger? They've got ATRs.

If it's true it could mean what we all feared - the BRAL / CFE / Brymon buyout means that BA are closing the door to these airlines where low-hour self-sponsored pilots could get jobs.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 17 May 2001).]

HomerSimpson
17th May 2001, 18:15
Looks like its getting harder for us to get a job. Ah well, anyone for a beer? Hic....

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

Super Stall
17th May 2001, 18:39
Flying Doc - I'll think you'll find that is just a rumour. We've only got five ATR's left and two of those are due to go Octoberish. Leaves only three, not much of a training fleet.

And as for the RJ, its fully crewed and pilots will be type frozen for five years.

ss.

Pin Head
17th May 2001, 23:04
heard this from a good source as well and would make sense for BA, whether it happens remains to be seen?

WAIF-er
17th May 2001, 23:13
Maybe new cadets are finding the Airbus training difficult and thats why they want to put future cadets onto turboprops or small jets like the Embraer.

BluffOldSeaDog
17th May 2001, 23:36
If WAIF-er knew anything about the Embraer, he'd know that it is probably a more complicated aircraft to operate than a 'Bus. None of these fancy computer fly-by-wire systems on the 145, and it's got an avionics sweet the equal, if not better than, the 320 family. It also has a tendancy to not like xwinds, as it is light relative to bigger jets, which are more able to fly stable approachs in high winds. Get your facts straight, I know, I fly the 145!!

------------------
I want to die with the respect and dignity of my father, not screaming like his passengers !

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th May 2001, 13:31
To be honest its easier for cadets to go straight to an Airbus than any other commerical jet or most commone T/Ps. BA have signed a large contract with BAe in Jerez for Jet Orientation Courses well into the next year so I don't think this rumour has any legs. As it were. Do rumours have legs? Have you lost your legs or has any member of your family suffered disability in the last 12 months? If so the Kilroy team want to speak to you, call now on 01989 65665467.

ps in slightly 'odd mood' this morning.

Jet A1
18th May 2001, 18:22
Odd mood I think not - A little crasse!

F/O RJ 100s
18th May 2001, 19:57
Just to say I'm currently on a JOC (Jet Orientation Course) to fly RJ 100's with BA.

I'm currently in Jerez. I wouldn't complain; They're still jets and I'm just thankful to have a job with the world's favourite airline!

If you're put on an ATR, I can assure you it won't be forever. Probably not even a decade.

Pin Head
18th May 2001, 21:16
WWW I think you been studying those 73 manuals too much and not heard about the BA/BRAL/Brymon/BACE announcement.

It won't happen overnight but one day I think it will happen.

CRP5
19th May 2001, 13:21
So what if anything is wrong with CEPs going onto an RJ100?

Mister Geezer
19th May 2001, 15:14
A first job on the ATR is a cracking job in my books!!!!

I would not be worried if I was in your shoes Flying Doc if they put me on the ATR!

MG

------------------
Don't land in a field or the sheep will eat the aircraft.

Super Stall
19th May 2001, 16:41
Could'nt agree more. I'm on the ATR and its a cracking workload trainer, and as all our wise and experienced trainers will tell you, if you can land an ATR you can land anything.

But if I was a cadet being told I was to start on the RJ it might not be what I was expecting, not worse, just not what I was expecting.

ss.

flying doc
19th May 2001, 20:33
Oops.. seems to be some confusion. I wasn't knocking the idea of flying the ATR at all, I was simply wondering if there was truth to the rumour.

Cheers,

FD

Harry Wragg
19th May 2001, 22:12
Have a look in an ATR cockpit and you will find that they nicked all the bits out of the Airbus parts bins.

I doubt very much that anybody will be packed off to the ATR fleet at CFE as it is in the process of being phased out. Even if it did happen you wouldn't be there very long.

As a general comment, if CFE is in the process of being integrated into EOG, and EOG is the traditional training ground for CEP's, then it would follow that cadets will end up on the RJ100.

An airplane is an airplane, it's the lifestyle and remuneration that comes with it that is important. In a 30 year career with BA you will see lot's of both!

Harry

foghorn
19th May 2001, 22:15
I guess it does mean that the low hours self-sponsored door into CFE, BRAL and Brymon is closed, then http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

fudpucker
20th May 2001, 21:13
The door is still open in BACE. CFE as was is now just about integrated with EOG , so BA cadets may wind up on the RJ fleet , but for the foreseeable future there will be no tie-up between BACE and BA.

Pontius
22nd May 2001, 20:34
F/O RJ 100s,

Did I read that right? You're actually on a JOC for the RJ 100 and will be employed on it by BA?

I'm genuinely interested (especially as the CFE deal has not been signed yet, although it's unlikely not to). Were you recruited by BA or were you recruited by CFE and are on course to fly a 'BA' RJ as a result?

There's no hidden agenda here; just a genuine interest to see what our bosses aren't telling us yet.

Cheers,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

El Desperado
23rd May 2001, 02:54
Well, I've been on-line on the 757 fleet for about a week now and if I hadn't had my couple of years of turbo-prop experience before this, I would have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Hats off to the 200hr cadets who pass a line-check having come straight off a Seneca, operating into Spain, Canaries, Balearics, France, Greece etc with all the eccentricities that go with 'em. I don't know about the 'Bus, but the 757 can be a handful at times - with far less power available than their equivalent Seattle cousins, I suspect Toulouse' finest aren't a cakewalk.

Having said that, those who bypassed the TPs or the instructing route have missed what is probably the best pax type flying they would ever have done.

I remember an old post by WWW saying something along the lines of the 'last place I would want to see weak or low-hour candidates is in the RHS of a turbo-prop on a winter's night into Little Chortling' or something similar. Perhaps you were right mate, but I found the stately pace of these machines easier to get to grips with.

What am I saying ? Nothing really, other than any job's a good 'un when you're starting out and I'll leave you with a thought from one of my recent line trainers. "You can tell a bloke whose done turboprops - works hard, thinks ahead, flies quite well, but doesn't have a fekking clue how to slow down." :)

------------
For PC, substitute lady/gentleman whatever for bloke.. his words, not mine. WWW - on line yet ? Saw you in the Gatwick sim and we demolished your bottle of Southern Comfort. New name to hide old sins, and I guess I owe you some drinks for draining your last remaining source of solace !

Wee Weasley Welshman
23rd May 2001, 16:01
ED! I had a *very* bad head next day - much like this mornings actually...

I think its still true that there is a lot of TP flying out there where you are operating to much finer tolerances if it all goes wrong. I find it most comforting to know that my jet will generally climb like a lovesick angel on one engine and stops on an autobrake dime...

Going well ED? I am nightstopping in GLA most months - lets have a 'pint'.

Pin Head
23rd May 2001, 21:17
'My jet' hey WWW, things must be going well!!!

Turboprops according to alot of my senior captains who I fly with are the hardest type of a/c you will fly (in terms of engine management, performance, landing technique, route planning with reference to suitable diversion airfields etc, autolands etc)

Give me a Dash 8 any day of the week.

Jets I will leave to later on in life.