PDA

View Full Version : Billinsair

vetflyer
29th Mar 2001, 00:59
Any comments regarding doing PPL at cranfield with Billinsair?

You want it when?
26th Jun 2001, 19:49
Hi - did you get many replys - I'm just planning to start training at Cranfield and I'd appreciate and older and wiser heads comments on the schools there. Older and wiser is anyone with more than two hours by the way!

Simon W
26th Jun 2001, 20:30
When I was deciding on a school I visited Cranfield. I was really quite impressed with Billins Air, seemed a really friendly bunch. I didn't do a trial flight with them though so can't comment on the quality of instruction. The other school was Cabair but I had heard too many horror stories about them. In the end I decided on British Airways Flying Club at Wycombe.

It's really difficult deciding (and risky), I suggest you get the number down to a couple and then have 30 min. trial flights with both to see who you feel most comfortable with.

Regards,

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon W (edited 26 June 2001).]

Red_Devil
26th Jun 2001, 20:43
Try Bonus Aviation - the rates are about the same, the aircraft are well maintained with kit that actually works and the staff are great - interested in you, not your money.

Other than them, Billins or Euroair. I wouldn't recommend Scabair.

JMHO. ;)

[This message has been edited by Red_Devil (edited 26 June 2001).]

You want it when?
27th Jun 2001, 11:16
Thanks - I will give them a try, Cabair do seem more expensive +50% and as a v. low hours character its kinda hard to see why.

Huzzah Barking Hatstand
27th Jun 2001, 16:20
Have flown out of Billins on and off for 5 years have. Always friendly, the kettle is usually hot for free tea and biscuits. Very relaxed informal, head honcho last seen taking a skills test in shorts and a tee-shirt, it was a very hot day. Prices are about average for Cranfield, but they do have an interesting assortment of aircraft you can have a go in, c152,172 and cardinal RG, Cherokee 6 300ph for touring and a Seneca for those that like two engines.

Have also done stuff with Bonus and Cabair, from commercial necessity. Both of these operations are more formal and commercial, while Billins is more club like.

Best thing is to visit and you can go to all the cranfield schools at the same time and draw your own conclusions.

cheers
H-B-H

UniformJuliet
28th Jun 2001, 00:32
Hi there,
I did my PPL at Billins about three years ago. Very friendly and informal although not as cheap as they used to be. Great fun flying the C150 (okay so its old but so what). They use GBTGP and GBOUJ for most of the training. I did my PPL over a few weeks in the summer and I would recommend doing it that way if you go to Billins. Weekends tend to be very busy whereas it might be you another guy and an instructor there on a weekday. The instruction is good in that you are likely to stick with the same guy. The actual instructors have changed quite a bit recently although I believe it has settled down now.
Cranfield is obviously a v good place to learn with a big runway and ATC.
I too did the rounds up there - Cabair weren't interested in small-fry wanting PPLs and I found Bonus (although very professional with nice offices etc) were a bit stuck up as well.
Regarding price - deals for paying the PPL cost up front are done.

Good Luck,
UJ