View Full Version : Regional Airline Entry Age Limitations

Skyway
19th Mar 2003, 09:09
I have just left a single engine charter job for a full-time ordinary job to save money for my instrument rating. I am currently 30 years of age and will most likely not have my IR + 500 multi command until I am 35. I am just wondering how much $*&^ up hill I am pushing? also what if any is an average age versus hours requirement. Any professional advice is muchly appreciated.:rolleyes:

hoss
19th Mar 2003, 11:06
Skyway,

Keep going mate. I don't think your pushing too much sh1t up-hill. 35 is not that bad an age for the Regionals, I'm not too sure about experience commensurate with age? But I can't see too many hassles with employing a 35 year old bloke with 3-4000hrs.

Obviously depends on how the industry is going and pre-9/11 you would have had a very good chance at the 2-3000hr mark. There's heaps of Pilots out there in the Regionals with similar backgrounds to yourself.

You'll be right:D , hoss

ps. just imagine 'getting in' at 35, giving 25 years service to your Airline and retiring a veteran at seniority no.1.

Hugh Jarse
19th Mar 2003, 21:40
Skyway, I can't speak for other regionals, but the company I work for has hired guys in their 40's, and in one instance slightly more 'mature' than that.

Some came from other airlines with quite a lot of turbine experience, and others straight from G/A piston.

Go for it, and good luck with the CIR. :ok:

Naverick
20th Mar 2003, 22:02
Skyway, hopefully, this will encourage you,

I started flying professionally at the ripe old age of 31, having logged about 100 hours private.

I am 36 with 3400 hours and start groundschool on Monday with a regional, having held a variety of jobs in GA around the country.
Age is pretty much irrelevant. Stay positive, maintain a good sense of humour, don't upset people, this is a very small industry and YOU WILL get there.

Enjoy the ride mate, just be aware, it will get a little bumpy on occasions!

Good luck

Skyway
21st Mar 2003, 00:14
Thanks for the responses everyone and all the best with ground school Naverick. ;)

airag
21st Mar 2003, 09:41
I'm having heaps of trouble finding multi time despite having 3500 hours including 1100 plus on s/e turbine , a CIR , an instructor rating and the ATPLs.
Without 500 multi your nowhere !

slice
22nd Mar 2003, 07:01
Sometimes with ATPL and 500 multi (or 1000 for that matter)you are still nowhere!! This is a crap time in aviation all round and I guess we will just have to ride it out.