PDA

View Full Version : Which is best EWR or JFK?

PAXboy
18th Mar 2003, 22:34
Have just been through JFK for the first time in two years.

I was struck (again) by the incredible maze of roads. I saw a lay-by with a very large map and "You Are Here"!!!, with cars drawn off the road to look at it. At least LHR and LGW haven't got that bad.

I also had to pass through EWR for the first time in many years, although simply to collect a ticket from the BA ticket desk. The new people mover was impressive and the one at JFK is now under test (I read).

There is no Poll as it there can be many reasons for choosing one or t'other.

Let those horror stories and long held hobby horses have their head! :}

AOG007
19th Mar 2003, 00:23
Flew through EWR approx three years ago, and was very impressed. Spent several hours there as well, due to being staff on standby travel, and must admit, one of the more pleasant places to be waiting, when compared to LHR T3.

Have not used JFK, so can't say if one is better than the other. Just very impressed with EWR.

AOG007

Pax Vobiscum
19th Mar 2003, 14:28
The queues are shorter (I've got horror stories about JFK) and the journey to wherever your're going (except maybe Long Island) is quicker - check out the new rail link to Penn station. There are also better connections to most US destinations, though I'll always fly direct if I can.

The only drawback is that I believe that windy conditions can be trickier than JFK - any pilots slumming it back here care to confirm/deny? (I've experienced a few 'interesting' approaches, nothing remotely dangerous but visibly white knuckles among the SLF.)

Once had to use JFK (I was travelling from BHX) and make a connection from EWR. We piled into a taxi and cried "Take us to Newark!" - "Where's that?" the driver replied in a thick Haitian accent. Welcome to New York ...

bealine
19th Mar 2003, 21:11
EWR - especially now there's a fast train link direct to New York's Penn station!

knobbygb
22nd Mar 2003, 15:25
EWR used to be terrible for homebound conenctions in the evening - several aircraft queuing 30 to 40 minutes for gates. Once we even had to queue to get onto the apron where they all hold :(

Never yet had the chance to sample the bars/shops - always had to rush to the gate due to the delays. When you're tired and just want to go home there is not much worse than sitting aboard your inbound domestic flight knowing that the transatlantic is boarding just across the tarmac. Anyone know if it's improved any with the recent drastic cut in schedules?

Bubbette
23rd Mar 2003, 14:42
EWR; it's just much easier to deal with in every aspect. Although the immigration customs (For US citizens) is much improved from 2-3 years ago at JFK (not saying it's great---it's still very long walk from jetway to even the nearest bathrooom, let alone immigration).

Pax Vobiscum
24th Mar 2003, 07:56
Good point about parking on the tarmac waiting for a gate, although you may have been unlucky - my worst experience was under 30 minutes. I haven't found JFK to be any better in this respect.

Why are both these airports so much worse for this problem than LHR, which is smaller but with more traffic?

Sharjah Night Shift
24th Mar 2003, 18:34
Pax Vobiscum,

Your comments about waiting for a gat in the US remind me of what I saw at Phoenix.

At exactly 10 O'Clock about 20 America West aircraft pushed back but as they could only move to the runway one at a time blocked access to ther entire section of the terminal for nearly 30 minutes. Unfortunately this meant an inbound aircraft with a vacant gate and waiting ground crew had to hold on an outer taxiway for the departing aircraft to clear.

Obviously it would be better to push back one at a time but this may not make such good on time figures.

knobbygb
25th Mar 2003, 09:05
...then they should stagger the schedules. I'm sure passangers find in easier to know they're on the 10 O'clock flight - but would 10:07 be all that much more difficult?

Pax Vobiscum, yes probably unlucky. Never flown eastbound from JFK so can't comment. Funnily enough, the only time I've ever had to wait for a gate at LHR was the other week - 25 minutes or so for a CX 747 to clear - at 5:40am :eek: - would have expected the place to be quiet at that time.

gofer
1st Apr 2003, 21:14
EWR every time - especially with connections. Have had trouble at Immigration but nothing as bad as the delays at JFK or the Immigration at SEA (so bad that I will probably not fly in there ever again).

atco-matic
3rd Apr 2003, 23:50
Flying into EWR, sit on the left side of the aircraft, and if you land from the North, which I have done every time, you get a fantastic view of Manhattan as you fly parallel to the river on final approach!