PDA

View Full Version : To go or no?

kimono
18th Mar 2003, 19:40
Im going to be visiting some friends next week in Washington DC, I fly on the 26th.

I KNOW the chances of anything happening are remote to none, but my husband is stressing out about me going (He isnt going) etc etc and now Im stressing and instead of looking forward to my trip, Im dreading it more and more each day.

I'd lose a £193 air ticket, not much really.

If you were me would you just cut your losses and decide peace of mind is more important?

TIA :) (Yes, I know I sound a bit pathetic!)

MerchantVenturer
18th Mar 2003, 21:35
kimono,

I'm not trying to duck the issue but really you are the only person who can decide.

My only connection with the air industry is as a fairly regular passenger. I have nothing booked in the immediate future but wouldn't give the matter a second thought if the USA was my destination in the next few days. I would not travel to those countries that the government has warned UK citizens against travelling to, but the USA is certainly not one of them. Anywhere else (incl USA) and I would continue as normal.

If you are worried about terrorist reprisals, these could occur anywhere not just in the air industry environment. To me it's a risk like getting knocked down crossing the road. I would guess that both risks are pretty minimal for an individual.

I travelled within a few days of September 11 2001 and as usual was far more concerned about the car trip to the airport. But then I am one of those lucky people for whom flying holds no fears - probably because I don't know enough about it. Only joking about the last bit.

If you do decide to go have a great time.

PaperTiger
18th Mar 2003, 22:02
Be absolutely certain all your documentation is in order. And if you've ever overstayed a visa before then don't go (see http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030317IE7 ).

I would also be prepared for long lines at INS/Customs and less than polite staff (even less than usual - which is saying quite a bit). As for the chance of 'something' happening, it's probably no more dangerous now, except for the possibility of panicky responses to false alarms. I think there's going to be a lot of those :(

But if you feel uneasy and don't have to go, then stay home. Don't be influenced by the testosterone/patriot brigade, it's up to you entirely.

Eboy
19th Mar 2003, 22:50
I think the above is good advice. I don't have much trouble or interaction with the INS as a US citizen, and I am embarassed by any of their rude behavior experieinced by others here.

I fall into the "your chances of trouble may be greater but still close to zero and still less than having an accident in your home or on the highway." I guess I'd choose to go, but if it creates too much stress for you and your family it is not worth it.

Once you are here, I sense it is now one of the safest cities anywhere with regard to terrorism due to the vast number of security resources that have been deployed in the last year or so, some seen, some unseen. There is a greater danger of being a victim of traditional crime, but if you stay in the most popular tourist areas you should be fine.

If you come, you will experience a beautiful spring which, along with fall, is the best season for visiting. It is nearly shirtsleeve weather. Since tourism is definitely down the last few days or so, you will experience, on the plus side, smaller crowds and easier access to Washington's museums. If you were going to do that, it is Heaven. Certain official sites, such a the street in front of the White House, are closed as of yesterday.

kimono
20th Mar 2003, 17:31
Thanks :) As of now Im still going, but I havent yet quite decided.......
I went and bought a pile of new clothes for the trip today :) So if I dont go, I still had an excuse to buy new clothes!

Eboy, Im staying at a friends in Arlington and will be spending some time at the MCI Center to watch the World Figure Skating Championships *blushes* LOL!

;)

Pax Vobiscum
21st Mar 2003, 08:01
Go on and have a great time. Sadly, judging by the views of the White House on last night's news, it's now raining heavily ...