PDA

View Full Version : Wedged-up wanabee

CaptainCrunch
28th Mar 2001, 18:04
What-ho and Bernard's your uncle.

I've been trying for yonks to get some answers to some (hopefully fairly basic) questions without success and this is my latest effort. Do please reply if you have a sec and you're in the know:
As a bored suit in Germany I need a diversion and to this end I'm packing up my tents in June to head for South Africa to do a basic PPL course and after reading the flight journals it seems to me that rather than just use this license as a hobby I could have a change of career. I can budget up to 30,000 GBP for training but I really need to know the options. So:
If I do a PPL in SA, then instruments / night cert. in the UK and make up some flying hours in the UK and US then, once I've done a CPL (and I'm looking at doing all this in around 9 months or so!) is there really a possibility that I could fly for a living? I mean, it does seem so far fetched! The phrase "I'm going to be an airline pilot" might work in the dodgier discos of Cologne but does it work in hard reality? If I smurf 30 odd grand on a course are there really jobs at the end of it or are a lot of people making a lot of money out of, er, people with a lot of money?
Also, is short-sight an automatic medical failure and does (minor) high blood pressure put one out of the running?
Finally (and thank you for reading thus far) – would an airline really consider someone with all the certificates but who had only flown solo for the first time eight months before? Presumably I could set myself up as an instructor but I don't know if the money would be enough reward (business training – can't help it).
I do realise the above may come across as rather arrogant ("I'm going to be an instructor" when I've only ever had one trial lesson) but it is most sincerely not meant to be taken as such.

Thanks again,

Captain Crunch
Cologne

redsnail
28th Mar 2001, 18:18
G'day Captain Crunch,
First things first. Do that Class 1 medical. ok, it costs a bit eg £400 in the UK. However, it is better to find out right now before you spend another cent/pence on this flying activity.
You didn't mention your age or marital status. This does have a bearing on it all. If you are 25, you have no probs, if you are 45... you are pushing it to get a good well paying job in a jet. Marital status? The spouse can either make or break you with this. Bear in mind that you may not crack the jet job straight after flying training and so the pay may not be very good. Be warned about that.
Your first job will be the hardest one to get. Every job is hard to keep too... Always, and I mean always have a back up plan. The "boom" for low houred pilots appears to be "over" for the time being but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. OK, you may have to instruct, fly overseas, fly a piston and the like to get the hours up. If you are happy with that, then go for it.
You must understand that there isn't a job for every one with a CPL + ATPL theory credits. Only you can make the decision to persue it. If you have other skills like managerial/computing etc highlight them.
There has been quite a lot of change with the adoption of the JAA reg's. Make sure you are famil with them. (go to the website).
Talk to a few flying schools and if you can, talk to some employers as well. Read what is on here and back it up with your own research too.
However, I cannot stress enough to do that Class 1 medical first.
Good luck.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

E-Fizz
28th Mar 2001, 20:16
I'm still waiting on my Class 1 and redsnails right, it is the most important bit!

CaptainCrunch, there's no point doing this if you're not prepared to be broke for a while, the reality is that you very well maybe - for quite sometime. There are ways to soften the blow on your finances depending on which way you approach it. I intend to do the PPL - IMC - Night Rating in the US. Return to the UK and continue working and saving whilst studying the ATPL theory. CPL/IR and exams to follow 8-10 months later. Depending on how you proceed you may not have to resign until you've got a substantial amount of extra cash behind you. Every bit counts! Remember you need stuff like course materials, headset, exam fees etc etc. These can come to an extra 3000 GBP so look at budgeting for 33k GBP + living expenses while you're not working.

As far as your medical requirements go, have a look at the JAA website, all of the optical limits for you eyes etc are included (+/- 5 Dioptres if memory serves me right). There are jobs for low time people out there - however as was mentioned you might not strike gold straight away and end up having to go somewhere to build up those valuable hours. And as far as "it does seem so far fetched!", so did going to the moon,
if you have the passion to do this the goal is not outside your reach...

CaptainCrunch
29th Mar 2001, 10:58
redsnail and E-Fizz - thank you very much for your replies.
I hadn't realised that there are different medical classes. I'm only 30 but I am something of a chubber so I'd better get running!
E-Fizz - the money isn't the worry. I'll have over 50K GBP so I could blow 60% of that on one of the novice to ATPL courses I keep reading about. I've decided on my flight school in South Africa (very cheap) and will probably do some hour building in the US.
The job I could get as a pilot wouldn't need to be with an airline as a jet kockey. I think I might actually be happier as an instructor or twin-prop transport pilot. I will be married shortly but the memsahib doesn't mind the travel - as it is I'm rarely home for more than three months in an average year.
Thanks again chaps,
CC.