PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight

Desk-pilot
18th Mar 2003, 11:56
I need to renew my Class 1 as I'm about to start training for ATPL shortly but am concerned about my BMI of 32.

At the initial I had managed to shed some weight and had a BMI of 28-29 and they didn't bat an eyelid. Should I hold off doing my renewal until I am able to shed a stone or so or should I just get on and do it?

I am trying to lose weight, indeed I have fought a weight problem since I developed an underactive thyroid 7 years ago which I take Levothyroxine for. Despite the medication I now put on weight really easily and struggle to lose it - previously I was 6ft 2 and a lanky 14 stone, sadly 14 stone is now but a distant memory!

Desk-pilot

Captnhappy
18th Mar 2003, 15:12
Weight loss like everything in life must start with the desire and then the realisation that it is a life altering goal, and may require some effort especially if you are over thirty!
i too have a hypothyroid condition, but have always maintained an FAA class1 medical with no restrictions.
The inportant thing is that you take your medication everyday and you maintain your T4 Tsh levels where they should be. Of course allittle excercise does help..you dont have to join a health club!!!! just park the car and walk! thats all. Hypothyoidism is a very sneaky desease if you mis a day or too it wont hurt you but if you do that too often the effects can addup!!
also because this organ affects ALL the major motor and Vital organs in the body it can cause otther complications.
So before you go to the FAA doctor goto your personal physician and get a checkup and a complete blood work especially T3 T4 TSH
before you go to the FAA class 1

hope this helps

redsnail
18th Mar 2003, 21:07
The BMI cut off is 35%. I know someone who was given the frighteners at his initial at Gatwick. He was 34.5%. Needless to say he's lost some weight and is now well under.
32% won't fail you, but it's time to start controlling it.

ausdoc
18th Mar 2003, 22:07
The powers-that-be will be much more interested in the control of your thyroid disease. One of the common symptoms of hypothyroidism is weight gain, as I'm sure you know. Having said that, maintaining a healthy weight does help with control of the thyroid disease. A sensible, balanced diet, and regular exercise (30 minutes, 3 times a week) will help. Quite simply, if you use more calories than you take in, you must lose weight.

Get your thyroid function checked first, then talk to your doc about a sensible weight loss program. A dietician referral may help to assess your current level of intake, and to modify it accordingly.

driftdown
23rd Mar 2003, 13:29
I am having a go at the Mens Health Testosterone Advantage Plan. It combines diet (High Protein, Lower Carbs and Fats) and exercise. So far 4.5 weeks down weight loss 4.5 Kg which is bang on my weekly target. I started at 102KG and BMI 32.0

The book gives daily meal plans and exercise routines.

Have a look at it and check if your Medical Professional thinks it would be OK for you.

Desk-pilot
25th Mar 2003, 11:22
Thanks guys for the tips and I quite agree with the Ausdoc - time to start controlling it. I have managed to lose about 4lb in the past week and had a really good bike ride on Sunday and am getting out on my bike again later today. My target is to shift a couple of stone initially which will bring my BMI down to 28.8.

I will then be aiming for a further stone and a half which will result in a BMI of 26. Just outside the ideal range but then I've always been genuinely big boned so I will be delighted to be that weight again!

Driftdown - good luck with the weight loss - out of interest are you already a commercial pilot?

Desk-pilot

bigballs121
25th Mar 2003, 13:07
bbc,
Are doing a programme on different diets.
I think they have fact sheets on different diets.
It might help.
Although recently atkins diet has been related to kidney problems.

witchdoctor
7th Apr 2003, 21:28
Desk pilot,

We're probably not dissimilar in height and weight, but unfortunately mine is due to too much beer and not enough exercise.

However, whilst completing my ATPL last year I elected to buy a bike and cycle each day from my accomodation to the airfield, about 2 miles and fairly level ground. In only 3 months I lost almost 7kgs without altering my diet or social life (read beer!). As someone who doesn't much enjoy running, I found cycling an ideal exercise, and thoroughly enjoyable, especially on a really good summer afternoon.

I suspect the main problem you may have though could relate to C of G limits in light aircraft if your FTO expects you to fly with a training partner as well as your FI. I found during my training that I couldn't fly certain aircraft with 3 on board and full fuel due to weight or C of G limits, but fortunately there were always alternative aircraft which were well within limits.

Whatever happens though, best of luck with it all.

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Apr 2003, 03:18
You learn something every day.

I did not know that the BMI was 35 and looking around my mates I think that this does not always gets enforced. Or is this only for the initial issue of a medical?

I can not speak for others but realised very much some 5 weeks ago that I had to shed some as my medical comes up again this summer.

Managed to shed 10 kg in 5 weeks by sticking to the Atkins diet. Have been worried about trying it for a long time but the recent series of diettrials convinced me to give it a go.

Only 20 kg more to go to be my former sleek self!

Good luck with your renewal.

The stuff said about your underactive thyroid is correct. However too many folk blame poor control of their weight on their thyroid problems.

FD

axiom
8th Apr 2003, 15:18
Simple question by a dumb pilot:

How do you work out your body Mass Index ?

I have renal impairment and controlled hypertension subject to renew by Authority only. So far so good, last 10 years, but I am getting on and you guys spook me.

Perhaps it's time I started looking to the future?

FoxCharlie
8th Apr 2003, 15:57
BMI = weight in kg divided by height in metres squared

EG 1.6m (5ft3), weight 65kg

1.6 x 1.6 = 2.56 BMI = 65 / 2.56 = 25.39

:)

Colosseo
9th Apr 2003, 15:39
Hi'yål,

Check this out!

www.atkinscenter.com

And by the way, thanks for the matrix formulae.