PDA

View Full Version : Illegal useage of helicopters

Head Turner
18th Mar 2003, 11:55
This is a sensitive matter but I wonder how many owner/operators have done a risk assessment into/of the likelyhood that their helicoptr/s could be used by a suitably trained pilot/charterer belonging to a terrorist organisation.
For instance:
Is the helicopter immobilised when it is parked up overnight either hangared or outside, or parked out during the day?
Are there procedures in place to confirm the proper intention of hirers?

I understand that even though the payload of helicopters is relativly small, they could be used to transport/deliver life endangering chemicals by terrorists. Let's hope this never happens however, it is a wise precaution to put in place procedures to reduce this risk.

We remove the battery from our machine when it is parked. As we don't hire we have no need to check identities.

Just a thought for discusion.

Flying Lawyer
18th Mar 2003, 12:33
I've "done a risk assessment into/of the likelyhood" that my car could be used by a suitably trained driver/thief belonging to a terrorist organisation.
My car has an immobiliser but I suspect a suitably trained terrorist could get around that minor obstacle - it's parked in the street overnight and in fairly insecure car parks during the day. Many cars have a greater payload than most helicopters, and could be used to transport/deliver life endangering chemicals by terrorists.
Should I remove the steering wheel?

What procedures do you suggest helicopter operators should put in place to confirm the proper intention of hirers?
Passports and other ID may be genuine, may be false. But eiter way, they don't reveal the "proper intention of hirers."

Edited for typos.

B Sousa
18th Mar 2003, 13:04
As in the words to an old song "Paranoia Strikes Deep"

The Auditor
18th Mar 2003, 13:49
You old cynic........

I think what "Head Turner" was trying to say is that helicopters are poorly secured most of the time [And if he/she did'nt mean that....then I think they arn't]......

1..How many folk lock their helicopters?

2..How many locks work on the average helicopter??

3...I've seen lots of operator manufactured bars/locks/chains to secure doors.

4..Why don't manufactures place a High Security key system in the ignition circuit of turbine helicopters????

5..Why don't operators hanger their expensive machines....we do every night!!....I appreciate that some can't do to various reasons including hanger rash..??

6..The thought of a helicopter being used in any paranoid scenerio is remote........but then again, we fly close to Buildings, oilrigs and other "high cost / high profile objects [targets]'

We should and must take that remote chance seriously.........and make it just that little harder for anyone to get their illegal hands on our machines.

Flying Lawyer
18th Mar 2003, 14:56
OK, I can't deny a touch of cynicism after that ridiculous Mirror 'expose'.
I also believe that most 'security' measures serve only to inconvenience people who have no terrorist inclinations and do nothing to thwart determined terrorists.
I drive past the MoD, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace virtually every day. Most cars can carry a much greater quantity of explosives than the average helicopter. (In my case it's marginal - I drive a sports car - but the point stands.)

But my question was serious: What procedures can helicopter operators put in place to confirm the proper intention of hirers?

pilotwolf
18th Mar 2003, 15:13
Hmmmm. I might be a little paranoid here but -

Lets not fuel another story to complement the Mirror's story?

My apologies Head Turner if your post is a genuine worry, but it seems a bit of a strange post for someone with your profile -. ;)

Head Turner
18th Mar 2003, 15:34
Flying Lawer;- It may well be that any car in the Capital can carry a bigger bomb than a helicopter. The point I was hoping to strike some thought to our industry is 'whatever the future, surely it is best to take some kind of precaution now however slight just so that it is not your helicopter that is used. Like taking the battery out! I do not wish to 'fuel' another Mirror story, quite the contrary. I believe in bolting the door etc....
The Auditor;- Thanks.
B Sousa;- Paranoia is like hysteria, it's there waiting for a catalyst. There are too many film producers setting the wrong image for us to be complacent.
The Boy Scouts Motto, Be Prepared is worth a thought for the meantime.

BlenderPilot
18th Mar 2003, 19:23
By "Illegal useage of helicopters"

I thought you meant something like using the police helicopter to give those bikini clad ladies a joyride over Cancun!

For a moment there I thought I was caught!

My advice is don't worry about it, there are a lot of highly qualified (and paid) bunch of people already worrying about it.

MBJ
18th Mar 2003, 23:28
I'm definitely with Flying Lawyer on this one. There must be 10,000 fuel tankers driving the roads of Britain each one of which would make a better bomb than 2 tons of flimsy aluminium.

So you take your battery out - I bet you'd put it back smartish if a terr had a gun to your wife and kids heads at home.

Get real folks!

Good intelligence and covert skullduggery from the professionals is the only way to deal with terrorists, aided, of course, by an alert public who may spot the dodgy vehicle/ flat rental/ equipment purchases and tell Special Branch.

Steve76
18th Mar 2003, 23:50
Watch what you say guys, this stinks of reporter digging for a BS story.......
:mad:

Captain Lai Hai
19th Mar 2003, 03:12
I'm with you on this one Steve76