PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Flights

Elvis21
18th Mar 2003, 08:59
I am supposed to be flying to Dubai on Friday for a holiday. At the moment this is looking increasingly unlikely. My " questions are, would you guys go (bearing in mind that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have still not said not to go), and it is a long way from any trouble?
Also, what are the odds of getting a bargain basement flight at say a days notice.

All advice is gratefully received,

Cheers

Elvis:(

malanda
18th Mar 2003, 09:26
I'd definitely go. We are talking 600 miles from Iraq.

www.lastminute.co.uk has just offered me flights LHR-DXB departing on the 21st March, returning on the 30th for 256 pounds with Lufthansa.

Dubai is a great holiday location. Enjoy.

takenthe5thamendment
18th Mar 2003, 10:38
Elvis - Please check your PM's.

I found a flight for you for £229 :)

PAXboy
18th Mar 2003, 13:01
Go!

My only irritation is that I have just finished a load of travelling and have to earn some money now - otherwise, I woul dbe jetting all over the world.

Flights ex- USA have just started dropping. JFK~LHR on AA now $240, so the rest should start to follow.

As to being shot down by someone with a Sam type missile launcher? No less or more than in the past 20 years.

Elvis21
18th Mar 2003, 13:57
TT5A, thanks for the info.

Cheers for the advice guys. I already have a ticket bought 3 months ago with Emirates (paid £360:rolleyes: ).
I was just wondering if the general consensus of opinion was whether people thought it was safe or not? The FCO does not seem to say either way.

jethrobee
18th Mar 2003, 16:37
I would go, during the last Gulf War the hotel occupancy in Dubai was apparently at an all time high.

Not sure if that was through holiday makers getting bargain deals of arabs from other nations taking a break!

Jeth

malanda
18th Mar 2003, 17:26
I was just wondering if the general consensus of opinion was whether people thought it was safe or not? The FCO does not seem to say either way.

I understand they are saying to be careful, warning of increased risk of terrorism against Britons. Just the usual a-covering, I'd think.

I also note BA have cut DXB flights to one per day, so maybe that'll keep prices up.

Momo
19th Mar 2003, 06:42
My 150k person company banned travel to 10 countries in the region yesterday. Dubai is not on that list.

Momo

Elvis21
19th Mar 2003, 10:28
At least one bonus is that the nice people at Emirates have said they will give us vouchers for the full amount to use at a later date if we decide not to travel:confused:

PAXboy
20th Mar 2003, 17:52
If the airline don't think it's safe to go - they will be the first to cancel!! They generally do not like placing their crew, pax and machines in a place where they might get damaged in ANY way.

Elvis21
1st Apr 2003, 21:42
Cheers for all the advice guys,
I went and had a great time

Whooaahh
4th Apr 2003, 19:47
Hotel occupancy in Dubai may have been at an all time high during the last Gulf War, but that is because the whole town was full of Kuwaiti's.

Trust me, I was there during Gulf War I and my apparently exclusive new apartment building filled up with Kuwaiti's almost overnight....don't these people ever sleep we were regularly woken up ay 3am by kids playing footbal against our front door.

My advise is go...Dubai didn't see any "action" during GWI, so very unlikely that you will be in danger this time round. Watch your back though....as a Brit or American you could get some hassle from the fundamentalists.

Whooaahh!!!