PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Modular students who have "made it"

Speedbird59
29th Aug 2001, 20:04
Having read the various pages of this forum for quite sometime now, I am curious to know if there are any low hour modular students that have landed decent jobs on finishing the various modules.

Secondly the consensus appears to be that Integrated students are favoured over their modulat counter parts in virtually all areas from allocation of a/c when training at various schools to employment opportunities on completion. Whats the reason for the prejudice?

RVR800
30th Aug 2001, 18:44
Anyone..?

:( :( :( :(
:eek: :eek:

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: RVR800 ]

NewBloke
30th Aug 2001, 20:31
Mr Tony Underwood !?? ;)

cln 7r
30th Aug 2001, 22:19
Not wanting to boast but modular did me no harm.
Just over 300 hrs and in the KLM UK holding pool and waiting to hear back from Britannia with who i had an assesment day last friday.

Know a few people who have landed good jobs and went the modular route, Maybe luck? Its never been mentioned by perspective employers to me. :)

Ray D'Avecta
31st Aug 2001, 01:48
Did the modular route too at Oxford (Same course as Tony Underwood, as it happens). Finished the CPL/IR in July 2000 with a total of 225 hours, MCC in August 2000 and started with KLM (uk) in February this year.

Along the way, I got into the ATP and British European Holding pools, but KLM came up with a start date first, so the rest, as they say is history.

Obviously, I would say that the modular route did me no harm, but I would also be the first to admit the part luck, as well as goodwill from a number of people (yes, including good old PPRuNer's :cool :) played in landing me my job.

My personal view is that a 509 Course is initially or momentarily more attractive than the modular route to potential employers at first glance (for reasons that have been endlessly debated on here). The task therefore is to make your modular route CV stand out too.

I believe that a modular route candidate who has attended good, reputable aviation institutions, completed the whole process in a reasonable length of time (i.e. not taking an excessive number of years which as we all know can happen, e.g for financial reasons), and can illustrate that rather than place him / her at a disadvantage, going the modular route has given them an added edge, ultimately attracts the interest of employers.......the trick of course is getting them to look at your CV long enough to appreciate these finer points - that is where goodwill such as personal recommendations come into it.

From my own experience, the one thing I would say to anyone who asked my opinion is this.. :eek:..by all means, go the modular route. It doesnt do any harm, but may mean you have to knock harder on doors at the job search stage. Also, dont underestimate the value and marketability of a good MCC course at the end of the CPL/IR. It can prove to be the difference. Some places take your money and let you play around in the sim and send you on your way. A good place will provide you with a much needed transition from the world of Flying School light twins to the commercial world of Air Transport operations. From scan flow checklists to SOP's etc. These are all marketable skills that give you an advantage in the job search.....dont be shy to shout it out loud.

On a closing positive note, in my estimation, most of the new pilots hired by KLMuk this year are from the modular route. This suggests that there will always be jobs for both 509'ers and Modular's, It is, as always, not what course you've attended, but what you have to offer an employer that ultimately gets you in.

Best of luck to all on here, and see you at the pointy end one day soon.

(PS - if you find any spelling errors on here, sorry.....I couldnt be a**ed to go back and check)

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: Ray D'Avecta ]

Rob 747
3rd Sep 2001, 12:35
Ray D'

Cool post!!!

Well, Im gonna make it as a modular pilot! :D :D

Wether anyone likes it or not!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

MAX
3rd Sep 2001, 14:42
Im modular trained. Took me ages and didnt go to ANY of the ~BIG NAMED~ schools. My total hours are embarassing and Ive landed job flying large. It can be done. Modular is the way forward. Oh, I didnt do MCC either.

MAX :cool:

[ 03 September 2001: Message edited by: MAX ]

Rob 747
3rd Sep 2001, 16:08
Max

Well done mate!

Whos the job with MAX?

How many hours did you have and where did you learn to fly?

Was it your first interview?

How old are you?

:D :D :D :D

MAX
6th Sep 2001, 18:53
Rather not say company. (757's)
235hrs.
25yrs.
First Interview after finishing training.
Did CPL and IR with Leeds Flying School.

MAX :cool:

Speedbird59
6th Sep 2001, 20:38
Thanks to all those who have responded to my initial post. From what I have read it seems that for people making a choice between the integrated & modular route to an frozen ATPL is down to money and time. My concern is to get the best training & experience to make me a good pilot.

It is my goal to fly for the airlines in the UK but I am currently flying in South Africa (where I have lived for the last 5 years) and loving it. If I had £65K to spend as required by Oxford's new scheme would I be wiser to go the modular route or do that course? My point being that I can spend that money on flying an aeroplane e.g a Seneca which is a fraction of the cost in the UK.

By using Oxfords Modular (ATPL ground school/CPL/IR/MCC) course combined with hour building for £65K i could end up with my frozen ATPL but with an additional 200 multi engine hours for instance. Surely this would make me more "employable" as it is actual time in command of an aeroplane.

In the next few months I need to solve this dilema. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Speedbird59