PDA

View Full Version : Naive, but Happy !

Steven JC
29th Aug 2001, 19:23
I am about to enter an application for one of the major airlines. Having decided to do it by hand to give it that personal touch as opposed to an online application (?) the question is as follows:

I can't escape the fact that even a degree will not substitiute for a poor GCSE result. Am I at liberty to list all my GCSE's (grades a-c) but leave out the F which I got in a non-core subject. I appreciate this would look as though I was hiding something but surely my AAB A-level grades and degree would make up for it if found! Would it be checked out?

Any comments from anyone who may be in the same boat.

SPEEDBRAKER.
29th Aug 2001, 19:50
I currently fly 757s for JMC Airlines at Gatwick and in my interview they only checked my license+logbook, took one look at my 9 GCSEs 3 A-levels and Degree on the CV and said I would have no problem with the 757 groundschool! No certificates shown.
I understand this would be different with BA.

If I were you, I would erase the memory of French from your conscience and if pressured to answer for it in interview {unlikely}, then bullsh*t it's failure into a story about adapting to score well in other subjects etc.

Remember, getting the job is only about being in the right place at the right time!

QUERY
29th Aug 2001, 20:02
Surely it depends on the question- does it ask you to list passes or 'Examinations taken and results'?
I doubt that you would be checked upon but don't forget that employers take a hostile and ruthless attitude to any non-disclosure, even it wasn't, in your opinion, important.
The problem is what else did you forget or decide not to tell them, already or in the future?
If your F-up is obviously irrelevant and you are, otherwise, a confident and credible candidate, wouldn't it be best to admit it? Make light of your disinterest in Domestic Science, or whatever it was, and say you ignored it, in order to concentrate on your core subjects.
Good luck!

Pandora
30th Aug 2001, 13:11
Don't worry about it and just stick it on the form. BA at least will photocopy your certificates at final board, and as long as you have the required 5 passes they probably won't care about one F. They didn't care about my N in A-level Maths because I had a degree, but I think I might have been in trouble if I had 'forgotten' to include it on my form.