PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for light aircraft rental in California/Nevada area?

HighandTight
17th Mar 2003, 08:53
Hi all,

I'm shortly coming out to the States on holiday from the UK and would like to do a few hours in a light single - Cherokee, Archer, Beech etc.

I am flying out to San Francisco, spending a week in Tahoe, then driving to Vegas, before heading across to LA and back up the coast.

Could anyone recommend a friendly airfield/flying school in this triangle where I could turn up and fly? Ideally somewhere nice and cheap where I'm not dodging the heavy traffic of Vegas or San Fran?

Thanks folks!:)

zerozero
17th Mar 2003, 18:56
Hi--I used to instruct at Navajo Aviation in Concord, CA. It's east of SFO (about 45mins, depending on traffic, of course).

Management has changed since I was there but you'll be able to avoid the congestion of SFO and OAK.

Vegas has less choices. Try North Las Vegas.

Los Angeles actually means "congested airspace" in archaic Spanish. Good luck avoiding airspace, congestion and reduced visibility--Lots of flight schools though. For a quick trip up the coast try Santa Monica, Long Beach, Torrance. For a quick trip to the desert try Van Nuys or Burbank.

Have a great trip.

willbav8r
17th Mar 2003, 21:02
Navajo is now Sterling. Think they are renting some planes. Down the road is Livermore - a bit more to choose from. Why not rent and fly to Tahoe, Vegas etc?

HighandTight
17th Mar 2003, 21:15
Thanks for the suggestions, that sounds just what I'm looking for.

I'm actually on my honeymoon, so renting and flying cross country really isn't an option. I'm lucky she's letting me take time out to go and fly :-)

Hufty
18th Mar 2003, 08:29
I used Ahart Aviation - www.ahart.com

They seemed pretty friendly and well organised and have a couple of Warriors amongst other things. LVK is a good airfield too - easy to get to and tends to get better wx than the coast.

willbav8r
19th Mar 2003, 18:19
I recommend Ahart. Good bunch.

They also have a Seminole, Arrow, 182.

Have a good honeymoon!

longarm
22nd Mar 2003, 18:20
...but don't let her fly !

With Love

See you when you get back!

Midnight Mike
1st Apr 2003, 21:15
Ask the pilots registered with this site
http://www.jetcareers.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Most of the pilots are light aircraft pilots or CFI's, they can point you in the right direction

Jim Morehead
4th Apr 2003, 02:51
April 3rd. Lots of new snow in Lake Tahoe. One of the closest airports to north shore of Tahoe is Truckee,CA.

Still cold and lots of snow. The last fews days from Reno,Nevada side has had a snow tire/chain s in effect. In theory, that will be lifted in the next day or so.

JIM

weasil
10th Apr 2003, 23:38
There are lots and lots of airports in CA. Where are you staying? Is somewhere close important or would you prefer to drive a ways to rent a cheaper a/c. Rental prices drop dramatically with distance from San Francisco Bay Area.

You can rent out of OAK from Oakland Flyers. Good prices.

You can take an aerobatic joyride in a Pitt Special with Lou Fields out of OAK also... lots of fun.

You can rent at HWD (hayward CA).

Petaluma CA (north bay)has lots of planes to rent.

For a more scenic place to fly out of try Half Moon Bay, or Watsonville airports down by Santa Cruz! Watsonvile has a great little mexican food place where your wife can hang out.

If you would like to save the cost of a rental checkout and just want to go with a CFI send me an email... I have lots of friends who fly in CA and could probably set you up with a joyride.

Weasil
[email protected]

noflow
27th Apr 2003, 07:50
"Watsonvile has a great little mexican food place where your wife can hang out. "

You're not kidding. Not only do they have great food but their motto is "Eat chips and fly." I haven't been there for some years but have fond memories.

You'll want to visit the wine country, right? I don't if it's still around but there used to be a small airport called Schellville where you could hop a ride in a Stearman. You haven't lived until you've flown a round engine biplane.

Mister Geezer
29th Apr 2003, 02:46
Can anyone reccomend a place to hire light aircraft in the Las Vegas area. Looks like Las Vegas North will be the best option but any info for McCarran Intl would be useful too.

Thanks

V1 Rotate
16th May 2003, 11:46
If you get to Colorado, go to Boulder Air.. www.boulderair.com
Highly recomended and friendly to visitors. Flying the Rockies is second to none. Fantastic scenery!
V1 Rotate