PDA

View Full Version : French WWII aircraft throttle levers

astir 8
17th Mar 2003, 07:29
Been reading a book by a WWII Free French fighter pilot (Rene Mouchotte, killed in action 1943)

At one point he bemoans the fact that the English had their aircraft throttle controls back to front.

i.e. the English pushed the throttle to open it, rather than pulled a la francaise.

Anyone know if the French have now standardised their throttles with the rest of the world?

Was, or is is any other country still pulling their throttles open instead of pushing?

henry crun
17th Mar 2003, 09:56
The French were not the only ones to use that method astir8, several eastern european countries did as well.

Without knowing for sure I would be surprised if anyone is using it now.

Bre901
17th Mar 2003, 23:49
As a French pilot, Rene Mouchotte entered active service in the RAF in October 1940. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross on Sept 1st 1942. On January 1st, 1943, he took command of Sqn 341 (Alsace). When he was shot down on August 27th, 1943 he was Wing Commander at Biggin Hill (Sqns 341 & 485).

Kolibear
18th Mar 2003, 09:30
Ergonomically, light aircraft throttles are a bit of a nightmare. Logically, you would think that closing the throttle means pushing the knob into the instrument panel and opening means pulling it out.

But the reverse is true, working on the principle that you want the aircraft to go faster, so you push the knob forward.

A quadrant system is probably better,
as 'closing the throttle' does not imply closing the throttle against the instrument panel

So maybe the French system is not as bad as it first seems.

mustafagander
18th Mar 2003, 09:46
astir 8
Could you please post the name of the book written by M. Mouchotte?

The only mention of him I have read is in "The Big Show" by Closterman.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Mar 2003, 14:13
"Everything forward and trust in the Lord!!"

SSD

Bre901
18th Mar 2003, 19:42
mustafagander :

The Mouchotte Diaries 1940-1943

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1841450243/qid%3D1048019752/202-0376078-7429445

Original title = Les carnets 1940-1943 (out of print in France)
Some bios are available on the web, but I am afraid they are all in French. If you read a bit French, just try rene.mouchotte on Google.

astir8

sorry to overtake you on final glide ;)
glide safely

Airbedane
18th Mar 2003, 21:13
Both the Shuttleworth Bleriot (1909) and the Deperdussin (1910) have go noisier levers (they're not throttles) that increase engine rpm on pulling back.

I hear tell that the Hurricanes we gave the French at the begining of WW II had their throttle quadrants reversed to aid use by French aircrew. By the end of WW II the French throttles worked in the natural sense - forward for faster.

It's the only example I can find of the French coming into line with the rest of the World!

Vive la France, vive la difference!!

A

Unwell_Raptor
18th Mar 2003, 22:21
I read a book by Lettice Curtis about her time in the ATA. She said that an early batch of Douglas twins destined for France were diverted to the UK but still had the arse about face throttles.

Must have been fun for the ferry pilots, who sometimes had no more than 30 minutes to look round the cockpit before taking off for the first time in a new type.

D120A
18th Mar 2003, 22:44
If the French gave up back-to-front throttles, they did so gradually and with a struggle, with a tilt at a halfway house in between. Our 1958 Jodel D120A (Wassmer-built) has a throttle mounted vertically on the instrument panel, "up" for throttle open, "down" for throttle closed.

It's rather enjoyable to fly with a club instructor for a check-ride, have him/her climb in and look round the cockpit, touch the lever with a frown and ask "what's that?"

Bent Wings are Best!

D120A

astir 8
19th Mar 2003, 07:53
Mustafagander

"Rene Mouchotte - Mes Carnets" is available at www.aeropresse.com page "livres" as well as www.Amazon.fr

"Mes Carnets" is a complete version of Rene Mouchotte's diaries and makes very interesting reading.

The immediate post war "Les Carnets de Rene Mouchotte" had been edited a lot.

I also strongly recommend "Le Grand Cirque 2000" by Pierre Clostermann.

Again its an unedited version of his original diaries and very good.

It's a much larger book than the original "The Big Show" including his early flying training, how he got to England plus post-war FAC flying in Algeria.

It's a great pity neither have been translated into English (as far as I know). Any volunteers?

mustafagander
19th Mar 2003, 08:49
astir 8
Thanks for the info. I don't know if I could face the workload to read those books/diaries in French anymore. Its been too long since I left home any ceased speaking the language day to day.
I'll probably track them down and attack it when next I'm on annual leave.

Cornish Jack
19th Mar 2003, 21:47
The eastern european 'arse backards' throttles applied to the 'fling wings' as well. The twist grip throttles on their helos worked in the opposite sense to ours with an 'interesting' result for one of our instructors paired with an Iraqi student instructor. He, the Iraqi, had previously only flown Mil 8s and as part of the Whirlwind course had to do some 'computer out' (manual throttle)flying. The transition from 'computer in' to 'computer out' was carried out in a 10' hover to allow stable rotor rpm for the start. Problem was when he started to transition - rolled the throttle off instead of on and instantaneous 'downhill' :(
As a co-ordination exercise, doing it that way feels VERY unnatural....... ....bishops and actresses etc ;)

astir 8
20th Mar 2003, 07:10
Mustafagander

give those books a go in French. They're well worth it - it's like reading Asterix books in French rather than the translations

- a lot more fun.

And as the books go on, there are increasing amounts of RAF "Franglais" which can be a real hoot.

Ils sont fous, ces anglais, but with a huge amount of affection.

Clostermann ascribes the RAF winning the Battle of Britain to compulsory daily tennis at Cranwell!

Bre901
20th Mar 2003, 15:04
mustafagander & astir 8

You apparently missed my second post. Mouchotte's diaries have been translated to English (can't tell if these are the edited ones or the original ones)

mustafagander
21st Mar 2003, 00:12
Bre901, maybe a bit more "RTFQ" for me!! Thanks, I'll look out for them.

astir 8
24th Mar 2003, 07:36
Bre901

the early post war "Les Carnets de Rene Mouchotte" had been edited a lot - and even made-up bits inserted - at one point he allegedly made the prophetic statement (in French)

"one of my young pilots, Clostermann, who will go far, got two Fw 190's by himself"

There's no such statement in the new version. Pierre Clostermann gets mentioned by name for his abilities as a cartoonist but that's it!

I've never seen the translated version

The translated version of "The Big Show" was apparently limited in length by post war paper shortages so a lot got chopped.

Skylark4
24th Mar 2003, 22:07
Logically, the French were right the first time. The convention is:- forward or down for OFF, back or up for ON`

Mike W