PDA

View Full Version : S/O to F/O

HS-774
16th Mar 2003, 16:06
Does anybody know how much time (aprox) it takes for a second officer to be promoted to a first officer within Cathay.

jungly
17th Mar 2003, 04:06
Those who started their JFO upgrades this week have been with CX 2yrs5mths.

However after Sept 11 there was no hiring for 6mths so the chaps/ladies that joined in June02 will be SOs for less than 2yrs.

All of course assumes current progression etc (and that depends on GWB and his 'blitzkrieg'.)

In short approx 2yrs!

Canadian Beech
22nd Jan 2005, 21:03
Are these dates still pretty realistic? or have they been longer in the recent past?
Also, what is the requirement for progression to JFO, and finally FO. Is it only based on seniority?
Cheers.:ok:

404 Titan
22nd Jan 2005, 23:55
jungly

That’s funny because I was only speaking with a couple of SO’s the other day who have just started their sim’s for their upgrades and it was three and a half years from date of joining not two and a half. Just to make sure I am right I have checked the January and Febuary roster for those doing upgrades and their date of joining which confirmed it. One gentleman joined CX in late Sept 2001 and is starting his upgrade early Feb 2005. Once the backlog of those that joined prior to 911 passes, the time will come down to about three years. The training machine is finding it very difficult to keep up with a lack of training captains on both the bus and the –400. Many are resigning because of crappy constantly changing rosters and shear exhaustion from being overworked every month. There have even been offers of extensions to trainers on the bus and the –400 who are due to retire this year to slow down the exodus from the training department. Only time will tell if this helps.

404 Titan
23rd Jan 2005, 11:39
Doh, I didn't see that. Post appeared and I thought it was new.:O

Sorry jungly:ok:

Crying Kiwi
2nd Feb 2005, 00:48
Definately more than 3 years!

Maybe the Flying Kiwi could give us the low down as he is part of management and recruitment. He rocks!

The Guru's of guru's. The oracle of future pilots and master career counselling.

:ok:

gza
2nd Feb 2005, 13:54
Hey!

Any differences between the JFO position and the FO position except the salary. Do they have the same flying duties etc...??

Thanks!

GZA

SMOC
3rd Feb 2005, 01:59
JFOs have a 10kt X-wind limit while an FO has a massive 15kts:O

Also JFOs can't operate with an SO he must be seated with a Capt or FO.

Thats about it I think.

SMOC

gza
3rd Feb 2005, 13:56
How do they split T-O's and landings in between JFO,FO and captain??...3 pilots for 2 T-O's and 2 landings?

Thanks!