PDA

View Full Version : WHO issues GLOBAL emergency travel advisory.. please read.

ORAC
15th Mar 2003, 16:12
Emergency Travel Advisory (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/releases/2003/pr23/en/)

For some background see the following on JetBlast: "Super-Flu outbreak in HK" (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84308).

PPRuNeUser0171
15th Mar 2003, 19:05
Interesting.....

News story on CEEFAX (Page 119) 'Plane Passengers in Pneumonia Alert'.

Seems that a a jet going to Singapore has had people quarantined.

The news story doesn't make it clear if the jet diverted or was about to leave or what.

It does say that it had 155 passengers and that '85 passengers and 20 crew continued their journey' - Does this mean that 70 pax have been put into quarantine?????

--
Gary.

willary
16th Mar 2003, 09:57
Does anyone know what became of the German passengers ? Report says they were sent to their homes... were their movements restricted? Have anymore people become ill? people who were to have changed planes were held in quarantine?The passenger with the pneumonia must have been very sick to get WHO and the Center for Disease Control so hot and bothered on a weekend.

PPRuNeUser0171
16th Mar 2003, 13:47
The passenger with the pneumonia must have been very sick

which must have been obvious? If so why was he allowed to travel?

--
Gary.

DX Wombat
16th Mar 2003, 20:43
The passenger with the pneumonia must have been very sick - which must have been obvious? If so why was he allowed to travel?
It may not have been obvious when the passenger boarded the flight that he was so ill, nor indeed may he have even felt ill. From personal experience I boarded a flight to the UK from Australia when I had a bit of a dry, irritating cough which I often had as result of being in a very smokey atmosphere, so thought nothing of it. By the time we were somewhere over India in the middle of the night I began to feel very unwell indeed. Some of this I attributed to the fact that I was very tired and couldn't sleep, as a nurse I should have known better :( :O Two days after I got home and for the first time in my life, I had to call my GP out . I had pneumonia. Some years later we were talking about this and he revealed that he had thought at the time that I might have had Legionnaires' Disease. So, no, it may not have been at all obvious, especially if it was a fulminating form of the disease.

SEA&ski
17th Mar 2003, 15:20
Re: passenger travelling not knowing he was ill. If the article I read was correct (NY Times--www.nytimes.com/2003/03/17/health/17INFE.html--registration required) he had a fever, rash and was ill enough to ask to be tested for Dengue fever before he left NY. His chest X-ray there showed lobar pneumonia and he was given oral antibiotics.

I can fully understand the desire to return home when feeling unwell. But as this guy is a physician, who was involved in treating two SARS patients, he of all people should have known better than to fly when he was sick.