PDA

View Full Version : First solo - when do you go again???

bamboo
28th Aug 2001, 23:59
Hello all

Done my first solo other week, it was fine, very enjoyable!

My question is this: I've just changed instructor, (strange time, I know, but I've moved areas), and it appears that I have to 'prove myself' to the new instructor before he'll let me go flying on my own again. I've done 2 hours with him already, and he shows no signs of letting me go back on my own, although I haven't developed any problems, and feel confident enough to start to build up my solo hours.

Obviously, I can't progress until I do this, and it is starting to prove expensive...

What about other people on this board?? After your first solo, how long before you get to go up on your own again?

(and do your nav exercises)

Many thanks - bamboo

Simon W
29th Aug 2001, 01:09
Well, to be honest you should go up almost straight away on your own to do some circuit consolidation. Then you'll go back with the instructor to practice things like flapless, short field, low level circuits and landings. It seems odd that he new instructor is not letting you go again on your own. No chance of you going back with the instructor that sent you solo?

Regards,

Simon

Trefdraeth
29th Aug 2001, 01:40
I know it's a pain, but the instructor is probably just sussing you out. Don't panic! Don't forget that this guy authorising you for your NAVEX or SOLO is a bigy, he hardly knows u. If it all goes pear shaped for you on that flight, he'll take an awfull lot of sh** from the powers that be. My advice, give it another hour or two, and TALK to the chap/chapess, ask what they want to see.
As for SIMON W, if you don't know how to do flapless, shortfields etc, than quite honestly, you shouldn't be flying solo in the first place.

You'll be alright, but at the end of the day we aviators have to trust the people that train us. I thought I was ready long before my instrucor thought I was (C earlier postings). 'It all comes out in the wash'. ;) ;) :eek:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Aug 2001, 01:48
Bamboo,

How many hours have you flown with your new instructor?

Please remember that your instructor is a professional. He is going to solo you when he is 100% positive you are ready. Now that you are flying with a new instructor, he is responsible for your safety.

If you are worried and have flown with your new instructor more than three hours, ask him. Be respectful and ask him for his option on your progress and when he expects you to solo again.

Good Luck,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

Simon W
29th Aug 2001, 02:12
Trefdraeth,

This is quite interesting actually, I have always wondered if schools teach in slightly different orders to others. I can't remember whether I did flapless approaches before first solo but I defeintely did NOT cover short field landings before first solo. Maybe this was because the training field I fly from has a reasonable size runway?. I can't see a need to have covered these exercises (except if flying Cessnas where the flaps are electrical and could fail) before flying the first solo circuit. Afterwards yes but not before.

Regards,

Simon

Trefdraeth
29th Aug 2001, 02:24
Si W,
Whatever AC you are in, whatever the circuit you are in. You need to be trained to cover any eventuality. Whatever happens in that MAGIC 8/12 Mins can kill U. Therfore you MUST be trained to deal with ANY conceivable eventuality. That's the difference betwen an OK instructor and a good instructor.

I know a chap whose flaps locked down on the T&G, he flew a normal circuit and a short field landing. He'd been trained well. And landed safely. A lesser (and less expensive!)instructor than his would have had a hell of a time in the big grey building.

:)

bamboo
29th Aug 2001, 13:04
Thanks for all your replies:

Naples Air Centre

I've completed two hours in the circuit with my new instructor so far, I have another lesson booked, and he's indicated that it will again be a duel lesson.

I'm not trying to get above myself here, or be overconfident, (I've got a healthy respect for flying and self preservation!), but obviously, I'm not getting my solo hours done, and I'm spending a lot more money duel than I anticipated.

Obviously, I know that more duel work must be undertaken, (consolidation and nav), but I just feel I need to get at least some of the other 9 hours and 45 minutes solo required out of the way

Cheers - bamboo

hasell
29th Aug 2001, 13:50
Hi Bamboo,
I solo'ed and then flew 1 hour, back in dual mode. Then, for one reason or another, I didn't fly for 7 weeks. Then last weekend we flew dual again BUT before we'd even set off, my instructor hinted at perhaps me going solo during this lesson.
However I thought it was more prudent to spend the hour in the circuit and just get used to it all again.
The Result, is that next lesson I'll be solo'ing again. So my answer to your question is 2 hours before I get my chance again.
My advice is, don't be too disheartend I was at the pre-solo stage when my previous instructor left for another job. I then flew 2 hours with my current instructor before I went solo.
Be patient, the more practice you get, the closer you'll be to perfection as regards circuit work.

Icarus Wings
29th Aug 2001, 19:59
Trefdraeth,

You say you should be trained for ANY conceivable eventuality before going solo?
Here's one for you,

Just after you take off, a landing 737 crashes on the runway closing down the airport. You have no option but to divert to the nearest alternate airfield. does that mean every pilot should be trained in navigation including unplanned diversions before being sent solo?