PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 747-200 at LHR and A340 go-around

FastJet Wannabe
14th Mar 2003, 19:15
Hi all,

This is a pointless post really, simply as an attempt to satisfy my curiosity.

Whilst at LHR earlier today, (Friday 14 March) I briefly watched the action from the car park we had parked in.

During the short time I was there I saw a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747-200 land. I thought these had been grounded a long time ago, and was even more surprised to see it at Heathrow. I would have expected to see it at Gatwick if anywhere! Anyone know what it's up to?

Also, and more interestingly, I saw a Virgin Airbus A340-300 go around. This made an awesome sight! Anyone know what the problem was? The time was around 3:30pm, and I believe it was operating the VS24 from Los Angeles.

Thanks!

heinzmanm
14th Mar 2003, 21:34
Whilst I wasn't at LHR today and so can't tell you the exact reason, go-arounds are fairly common, especially at airports that handle large amounts of aircraft movements. Normally its something like the previous aircraft not vacating in time to allow the next one to land.
Hope this helps a little

Matthew

knobbygb
15th Mar 2003, 09:15
The 742 would have been TF-ATN (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/281985/M/) - owned by Air Atlanta and operated for VS - in full colour scheme. Currently used on the Lagos service. Used to be one of their own (G-VBEE) - initially leased-out but then sold and leased back.

Slimbitz
15th Mar 2003, 14:33
VS24 A340-300 go-around instructed by ATC following inadequate spacing on previous landing traffic. A340 went around at 5-600' aal (1.5D), having fully complied with ATC speed control instructions throughout the approach. A routine go-around, guided tour of SE Bucks and Berks, and further approach to successful conclusion. The allocated stand was occupied, anyway.

FastJet Wannabe
15th Mar 2003, 15:55
Thank you for the replies!

Slimbitz, judging by your profile, you must have been driving the -200 that landed shortly afterwards?

Slimbitz
15th Mar 2003, 16:18
Used to. Check again.

FastJet Wannabe
16th Mar 2003, 15:18
Slimbitz,

Thanks for your information!

Flyer Flier
16th Mar 2003, 16:18
Hey Slimbitz!
You said we'd be on PPrune at the time !! Especially due to the thousands stuck on the M25.
But I thought our spotter of an IFS would have beaten you to the reply!
Cheers FF:cool: ;) :p