PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Airway - summer 2003

richardhall99
13th Mar 2003, 12:05
Just been readint the easternairways site and found a new route from MAN-STN on a Jetstream Are BA droping this oute or is it direct competition?

Eastern Airways to STN (http://www.easternairways.com/stn.htm)

Also ER3 and J41 to operate NCL-ABZ rotations

Powerjet1
13th Mar 2003, 15:20
BA dropping route end of March

Cyrano
13th Mar 2003, 15:33
This STN-MAN route handover wasn't mentioned in the original BACX/Eastern deal press announcements. Was it a recent decision? Some sort of sweetener related to the fact that the negotiations have taken a long time to conclude?

Just wondering...

Meeb
13th Mar 2003, 17:19
As Richard mentioned I see Eastern are putting the Emb135 onto some rotations ABZ-NCL and NCL-SOU. This must mean an extra airframe, is it still a wet lease arrangement? Looks like this outfit is going places...

parttimer
13th Mar 2003, 17:37
emb135's? news to us at sou as far as we're concerned they'll still be operating on the j41 for ncl-sou and lba-sou???!!!???

niknak
16th Mar 2003, 22:43
They've replaced the J41 on the NWI - EDI route with an E135, in addition to the existing E135 which serves the NWI - ABZ service. Additionally, the NWI - MAN route previously was a JS32, but is now a J41.
I admire their expansion, but I think they'll be stretched to the limit when BMI start their own ABZ - NWI service, using a E135, in direct competition to Eastern at significantly lower fares, WEF the end of March.

tightturnaround
17th Mar 2003, 05:43
Second ER3 on NWI-EDI is apparently a temp. arrangement to give the a/c something to do before the Summer sked when it'll become the ABZ based unit to op NCL/SOU as stated. NWI-EDI will revert to a J41, while as stated NWI-MAN has become a J41.

I agree that the competition with BD will be 'interesting' but 'at significantly lower fares, WEF the end of March' - mmm, not sure about that...after BD's promotional's end, T3 are actually cheaper, check both comapanies web sites.

MAN-STN from start of summer, ex BACX, 3 times daily on a J41. DND quietly cancelled last week after passenger figures were atrocious. INV by all accounts actually quite the opposite, busy.

Chillwinston
17th Mar 2003, 11:02
Are the extra emb135's comming from Cityairline and do I presume correctly that the Norwich - Aberdden route shown on their route map is flown on behalf of cityairline by Eastern??

www.cityairline.com

The Humberside to Esbjerg route used to be very popular and a real money spinner in the days of the old Eastern, any plans to resurrect this route?

Plane*jane
17th Mar 2003, 15:15
niknak you always remind me of Fraser in Dad's Army.....Eastern (sic) are doomed.....doomed. But we are all still here, fighting fit and really get fed up with the pot shots. We all have absolute faith in the boss, and as far as we are concerned he has a good head on those shoulders when all the big guys were dumping pilots with typical kneejerk reaction after Sept 11th he didn't.

Yes routes and prices are going to need fine tuning, as market forces dictate, but never make the mistake that he doesn't know what he's doing. From where I'm sitting he is cautious and that bottom line is a healthy black. I see you are an ATCO, I think the service we get for our airline is absolutely fantastic and I just hope you're not the sexy welshman on Pennine....I really would be disappointed in such a grumpy so and so

MerchantVenturer
17th Mar 2003, 16:10
Can anyone enlighten me as to why there is such a relatively high frequency between Aberdeen and Norwich? Both cities are pretty small and haven't a huge population in their hinterlands either.

I am also intrigued as to why two airlines would want to compete on such a route.

AOG007
17th Mar 2003, 19:11
MerchantVenturer,

My guess is that the two cities are transport links to the Oil Rigs / Fields out in the North Sea. Bond Helicopters are at both of these Airlields, and therefore the two airlines are competing for this business.

As I said, only a guess, as I am not familiar with either airfield.

AOG007

niknak
17th Mar 2003, 22:08
Plane Jane - no I don't work at Pennine, but a little closer to home than you probably are aware!:p
I don't recall knocking Eastern at any stage, but if it comes across like that ignore me, we've probably done as much, if not more than anyone to help you pilot guys and gals out, especially in the early days, and continue to do so on a daily basis.

We all want Eastern to succeed - even though you're the only company that flatly refuses to give us any discounted air travel!

As for the Private Fraser remark - please! - Captain Mannering maybe............:D ;)

Chillwinston
18th Mar 2003, 10:04
"Can anyone enlighten me as to why there is such a relatively high frequency between Aberdeen and Norwich? Both cities are pretty small and haven't a huge population in their hinterlands either."

Oil & Gas platforms in the North sea is my guess, the Humberside-Aberdeen route also serves this sector for the rough field platforms just off the mouth of the River Humber.

This route alone is serviced by both Gamma Aviation and Eastern

Apart from Eastern and newcommer BMI regional, who else operates the Norwich-Aberdden route?

richardhall99
18th Mar 2003, 10:40
Nobody else operates this route apart from those two. Up until Sept/Oct 2001 Gill Airways operated this route on an AT4 as far as I can remember

MerchantVenturer
18th Mar 2003, 16:08
Many thanks to those who have explained the oil and gas connection between ABZ and NWI. Oil seems to be in the news a lot lately.

Mister Geezer
20th Mar 2003, 18:15
Gama dropped the ABZ-HUY route due to a B200 being sold. They just do ad hoc Air Ambulance ex ABZ. Eastern are the sole operator on that route.

There has been a NWI route from ABZ for many years. Some of you might remember the 'happy days' when the Air UK F27 used to do the route but since things have 'gone dutch' then Eastern jumped in with a J31/32 and that was upgraded to a EMB-135. The new bmi regional route will test just how much demand there actually is!

The DND-MAN route will start again at the end of the month with one less rotation per day and a J41 being used instead.

Good to hear that the INV route is doing ok.

Plane*jane
20th Mar 2003, 21:30
nik-nak
<sigh> does this mean I have to start singing "nik nak paddywack" to all our dear ATC guys until I hear a gasp, when you are discovered?
Sorry about the concessions......even we have to pay.....that's why we make a profit!! Sorry about the delay in reply, busy times for us

niknak
21st Mar 2003, 19:10
OK! That's it - no more slot busting in favour of Eastern........oh ******........:uhoh: