PDA

View Full Version : Current economic environment

CyclicRick
12th Mar 2003, 19:08
I would like to know if anyone can give me a clue as to the current economic environment in the UK concerning helicopter operators.
I work (worked!) here in Germany up until Christmas but was laid off due to the current downturn over here and it's not looking much better for the near future either.

MBJ
13th Mar 2003, 13:30
I don't think there is a great demand for pilots in UK. There are quite a lot of very experienced freelancers around (like myself) and we are not overworked to say the least! :(

CyclicRick
17th Mar 2003, 21:30
Thanks for the reply MBJ, I'm freelancing over here and there is NOT much going on either.
You wouldn't happen to be Mr. Jackson who was in Hungary in '99 filming Spy Game would you?

MBJ
18th Mar 2003, 23:41
I COULD tell you CyclicRick, but then I'd have to kill you! (Yes it is!)

greenthumb
19th Mar 2003, 06:08
Hi CyclicRick,

what's going on in germany? Is the business going so bad? You've told us month ago that your company still operating Bell 205. In Europe are not so much helicopters of that kind are available. Should be a small profitable field for the few bigger helicopters. But also heliswiss in Switzerland sold her Bell 214 to the US.
I always hear from the operators: the good and experienced pilots have never encountered jobproblems. What's you background? ATPL, dusting and spraying rating, sling load?
Anyway good luck to you.

CyclicRick
20th Mar 2003, 21:58
Hello there MBJ!
Please don't kill me I'm a squealer and I bleed alot. I was sitting next to you in some of the shots landing on that little roof.
If you remember we first met in a field in Tatabanja along with the police etc!
How the devil are you?

Things are very slow over here, it always takes a dive in winter but this time it's quite severe. Yes I've got all those little gadgets on my license, ATPL, dusting+spraying etc. but it doesn't help when there is no work to be had. The company I worked for up until the end of 2002 has got 7 205's. They spend most of their time in the hangar waiting for the firefighting season to start or for odd jobs around the globe. We used to do alot of work for the UN but then the Russians turned up with Mi8's at 206 prices and that was that!