PDA

View Full Version : Moving from a Mac to a PC?

Carrier
12th Mar 2003, 12:18
For the past eight years my wife and I have used a Power Mac 6100/66, using Mac OS 7.5.5. This has served well for our home based business as well as our personal needs. We recently bought a laptop with Windows XP. The problem now is how do we transfer our records from the Mac to the PC?
I have checked through back issues of various magazines at our local library. While there are items on moving from a PC with an earlier version of Windows to a PC with the latest version I am unable to find anything on moving from a Mac to a PC of any vintage! Apple, of course, advertises how easy it is to move to a Mac and has support for this but where is the support for moving the other way? I will be very grateful if anyone can advise how to move and convert our files. I am sure others would also like to know.
To be more specific, we have been using ClarisWorks 3.0. We have many word processing files in ClarisWorks 3.0 format and also some databases. For internet and email we have used Cyberdog 2.0. This has numerous web sites and email addresses in its address book. How do we move all of this to a Windows XP PC which has MS Works, Word and accesses the internet through Internet Explorer and Outlook Express?
I will appreciate any help and advice anyone is able to provide.

Tinstaafl
12th Mar 2003, 14:52
You have two separate problems:

*Ttransfer your files to the new PC, and
*Converting them into a Windoze software readable form

Not familiar with Macs. Do they - and your new PC - have any of:

A serial &/or parallel port,
A network card,
A USB port,
A Firewire/IEEE1394/iLink port?

If so then it's possible to network them directly to transfer files.

As for making the files readable, I just checked with my copy of M$ Office 97, none of your software is mentioned.

You might be able to resave your documents in a common format however eg word processing files as a Rich Text Format or even just plain text, spreadsheet & database files as a comma or tab delimited file etc etc

You would then be able to import the common format files into the appropriate Windoze program. The catch is that macros & code may not convert properly.

There's probably software around that will do the conversions for you.

I'm not sure but have you any M$ software has both Mac & Windoze versions? Perhaps the Mac version can read your current Mac. software specific files? If so then you should be able to find a common file format to resave them.

Sorry I can't help much.

Good luck!