PDA

View Full Version : Northwest to MIN

Tonic Please
12th Mar 2003, 07:39
Hi. I am flying to Victoria BC via Minniapolis (excuse the speeeling). I am leaving Gatwick this Sunday at 12:05.

Could anyone tell me the route, and some general personal opinions about Norhtwest? Safety Record? (not of prior importance but still of interest) and how you are treated by the staff. I am sure they will be nice :)

I will then be on to Vancouver then Victoria on Air Canada internal flights. This is 464 quid return...instead of 580 by air Canada. Saves money!!

Perhaps anyone knows or is the crew, as I would like to visit the front, obviously on the ground, before or after the flight for a kind hello how'd you do.

Any info...?

Smooth skies,

Dan :)
(ps - this trip is for more pilot training at the Victoria Flying Club...not a holiday! Although an amazing place to be at)

MerchantVenturer
12th Mar 2003, 10:54
I have flown as a passenger (I am not in the airline industry) with Northwest from/to AMS-MSP and AMS-DTW on a number of occasions. I pay my own fare so travel economy.

Obviously each crew is different and there were some excellent individuals on some of the flights. However, I was disappointed with the attitude of the cabin crew most of the time.

Generalisations can be trite I know, but overall I felt that the service was perfunctory at best, surly at worst. On one occasion a crew member spoke to four elderly passengers who had moved seats in a half empty aircraft in a way that made me want to intervene. I didn't because I felt the wrath of the FA would be turned on me with who knows what results, but I was left with an uncomfortable feeling.

I fly to the USA/Canada from the UK via AMS and if I say I am always pleased when my aircraft is a KLM machine, rather than one belonging to their their partner Northwest, you will get my drift.

World Traveller
12th Mar 2003, 20:37
The DC-10 is a mighty fine machine to fly on though, I'd guess one of the quickest across the pond.

Northwest are generally cheap but in my limited experience reliable, friendly enough, and about the only Y class with a passable 'paaaaasta' option.

Things like safety record are all in the piblic domain somewhere (you'd find it if you looked hard enough as I'm sure there are websites dedicated to this kind of thing). They do have an older fleet than other US majors but their last couple of prangs were with modern planes (146 and A319?) whilst being towed empty. More embarrassing than anything else I guess.

WT

Benjurs
13th Mar 2003, 10:33
I flown once from LGW to PHL via MIN.

The aircraft was a DC10 and boy was it old! Forget about personal IFE and remember the good old days of craning your neck to look at the screen at the front of the aircraft.

FA's were at best pleasant and worst downright rude. Was sat at the back and ended up with whatever was left on the food cart. Next 'meal' I asked if she could offer the back row first choice between pasta/chicken as we all ended up with the pasta (not too bad actually) but was told in no uncertain terms that I would get what I was given!!!!!

Was it worth it? Well considering the price was half BA (£800 but direct) I would say definately not as being cramped up with no choice on what to watch/eat with jailors -sorry FA's! for almost 11hrs to save £350. Still you pays your money.

Tonic Please
13th Mar 2003, 10:49
Oh dear...Well I'm sorry to hear of peoples experiences with the airline. I hope I get my money's worth or I shall be writing a letter.

Its disgraceful for any airline to treat you and have a bad attitude such as those given in examples, when you pay them for good service.

My plane will be the 747-400 from the 'satellite' at LGW. I took of just after it on my way to Montréal last year, so I know its the -400.

So, is there any point in asking to meet the captani etc? Or will he be as rude as the FA's have appeared to be? :rolleyes:

Smooth skies

Dan :}

KiloMIke
13th Mar 2003, 11:19
Dan,

Post 9/11 I expect you wont be able to get anywhere near the cockpit. You can try but expect a firm but polite No.

As for NW have to agree with most of the posts, service is passable but not outstanding. Hopefully if you get the 744 things might be a little more modern than the DC10 I flew on.

atco-matic
18th Mar 2003, 00:17
Sorry to disappoint you tonic please, but I'm 99% sure it will be a DC10 you're going to Mineappolis on! Haven't seen NW 747s in Gatwick since a Mr Bin Laden walked into the Kabul branch of Thomas Cook and asked for ''6 singles from Boston to New York please'' (hope that doesn't offend anybody!).

Anyway, I've done NW Gatwick- Minneapolis and it was pretty awful! Not least because the average age of the crew was probably around 55, and so they have seen it all before and don't take no nonsense whilst they count the days til they can get their retirement pay off! But hey they have tons of experience so who cares!

If you think I'm joking, by the way, I have NW crew friends based in Detroit and they call the (always ancient) Minneapolis crews 'The Witches of Gatwick' (no discredit intended to Cher or whoever was in 'The witches of Eastwick' lol!).

Good luck anyway!

PAXboy
18th Mar 2003, 13:11
Tonic - You will get there!

There are reasons why the ticket that you have purchased is cheaper than AC ... the dog-leg routing is one and cabin service is one. I only use NorthWorst for US internals and the service perfunctory. As I do not expect any more, I am not dissappointed!

The DC-10 is a very reliable machin e(I am always told!) but have not been on one for a number of years.

Flight deck? Don't ask, they might get suspicious and give you hassle.

But, as I said, you wil get there and it will be cheaper than AC.

Lost_luggage34
18th Mar 2003, 22:06
Have flown the LGW-MSG route as SLF with NW several times. Nothing to write home about but service totally acceptable.

I wouldn't have any concerns about flying with them or with any other airline at present. Some of my best flights were to the US during the last Gulf War.

airsmiles
20th Mar 2003, 20:17
One reason Northwest may be cheaper than others is that they have some of oldest DC-10's around. They used to have a fleet of series 40's (with P & W engines) bought new, but these are mostly all in store now. They then bought up a collection of series 30's (with G.E. engines) from various sources on the second-hand market.

I can't imagine that they have much value in them and I suppose they can afford to shave a few dollars off the ticket price because of this. I hope they are saving a bit for some new a/c though, as some people (like me) won't fly with them until they replace the bone-shakers.

:D

Forgot to mention the god-awful livery. The old livery was a bit a of downer but the current scheme is down-right depressing.