PDA

View Full Version : Up and down and not just when doing my circuits

kilotango
28th Aug 2001, 02:47
I have a bit of an 'artistic temprament', meaning that I am used to quite dramatic ups and downs of mood lasting two or three days a go. None of this is out of the ordinary, but I do worry about the difference in the quality of my flying depending on the mood.

My last lesson, I came straight from work, having spent a day interacting with people and turned up feeling confident, in control and generally buoyant and got so many approving mumbles from my right that I ended up feeling pretty cocky. Today, after 3 days spent mainly at home, not getting any exercise and trying to get some study done, I felt shy and slow (and pre-menstrual, it must be admitted!!). I was totally unable to find the energy to be proactive in my flying even when I was sure of what I was doing, and this caused me to sink even further until I actually found I had tears in my eyes on the journey home - totally out of place.

Does anyone know what I mean, or is my suspicion (based on observation) that all other pilots are unabashed extroverts true? How did others deal with it? After all, it's no good simply not flying when you don't think you're in the right mood, although I suppose as the learning curve levels out and the skills become more natural the effect of these kinds of factors is less marked. I am still in the early stages of training.

Time to stop soul-searching and take me and my portable Cbs to bed I feel...

hasell
28th Aug 2001, 13:41
hi,
Well I guess your right -state of mind will have definitely have some relevance on how you perform during a lesson.
One way I try to gear my mind in the best possible state before flying, is to think i'm paying a fair wack everytime I go and fly -to screw it up will only hinder my progress and cost me even more that I planned.
We all have good and bad days. As your fly more and more you'll apreciate this point. Anyway try to be positive, cheer up and keep on flyin.

Captain-Ireland
28th Aug 2001, 19:45
I find that when i go flying first thing in the morning its very hard going concentrating and learning too much. Resulting in me coming away feeling that i have under performed. Compared to flying in the evening when every thing seems to go great. I guess i am just a night Owl!!!

SPEEDBRAKER.
29th Aug 2001, 19:20
I started my PPL in 1995 and worked my way up through the self improver route, struggling like hell with ATPL writtens especially. In the end I became a PPL instructor then CPL/IR instructor, PPL Examiner and currently fly 757s for JMC Airlines.
Every phase of my flying has been a struggle, the time it has taken, cost, severe dents in my confidence just at the wrong time, it moulds and shapes you into the pilot one will eventually become. Try to have a thick skin, if you have had a poor flight{and I have had my fair share} then erase it from your memory on the drive home, only to be remembered with embellishment on a boozy night off down-route.
Always remember 'nobody is that good' ,not even the instructors, and that means at any level.
ENJOY!
;)

scroggs
29th Aug 2001, 19:37
Everyone has off days, and it's easy to become downhearted after some critical assessment. However, there are some basics you can do to knock the peaks and roughs off your mood swings, at least as far as flying's concerned.
Firstly, avoid flying when you know you're far from your best. After a frantic, stressful day at work, without time to prepare, isn't good! If you're behind the drag curve when you arrive, it's unlikely you'll recover by the time you leave. You know that, and it will inevitably take its toll on your confidence. If you are badly affected by PMS, avoid flying when it's likely to be bad and, for the longer term, talk to your doctor about stress management programs that will make life easier - you don't want this to be an issue if you're looking for a career in flying.
Secondly, make sure you are as well prepared as possible for each flight. If you arrive confident that the FI will be impressed by your level of preparation, you will reap the rewards of that confidence in the air. That doesn't mean that every thing will go great, but you'll be better able to take the criticism if you fully understand the aims and methods of each lesson.
Thirdly, don't get into an orgy of self-criticism after a flight. Accept the recommendations made by your instructor, undertake to correct whatever shortcomings are raised, and congratulate yourself for having the maturity and self-confidence to expose yourself to such examination. That's a pompous way of saying keep your chin up, and don't let the bastards grind you down!
Lastly, remember that the reason you do this is for fun! If you're not enjoying it, think about why not. If any of the above will help you to bring the fun back into it, great. If your confidence has taken such a large knock that you're not sure you want to continue, have a long chat with your FI or CFI. Explain your reservations, and ask their advice. Things are rarely as bad as you think!

Echo Echo
30th Aug 2001, 05:32
I just want to reconfirm what Scroggs said except I think the "Lastly" should be the first. You're doing this because it's FUN. If you are working another job, as I am, then the flying is what KEEPS you working that other job. I just passed my instrument check ride today and believe me there were many times in the last few months that I went home wondering what the heck I was doing, and even MORE times I'm sure, that my instructor went home shaking his head in disbelief. Lots of times I've gone to the airport knowing I wasn't at my peak after a particularly bad day at work and just thinking that well, if I mess up today at least I'll enjoy the flight and maybe even learn something, which I usually did. You just have to keep going and 9 times out of 10, once you get to the airport, all the troubles just seem to go away, for awhile at least. They won't ALL be great days, but then some of them are MARVELOUS! :D

knighty
30th Aug 2001, 07:11
My wife has dramatic mood swings every three minutes :eek:
Hope this helps ;)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Aug 2001, 08:30
kilotango,

We have all been there. Do not let it get you down.

Some ideas that might help if you are not feeling 100% prior to your lesson.

1) This goes for every flight for the rest of your life. Do not strap yourself into the airplane, but strap the airplane on to your back. Make the airplane become a part of you, just like an arm or a leg.

2) If you have had a stressing day, get to the airport early. Sit in your car with some music on, anything that calms you and just close your eyes. Visualize everything you want to do on that flight and how you are going to do it.

3) If you are down, get to the airport early and again sit in your car. Play some music that motivates you. If you need ideas, try the soundtrack to Top Gun. Get yourself excited and again go over in your head everything you want to do on that flight and how you are going to do it.

4) Remember this is fun! Everyone will gets to a point in their training where they do not seem to progress and maybe even regress a little. This is normal. If you do not let it get to you, you will be progressing again in a short amount of time.

If there is anything in my long winded post. Get to the airport early. Unwind or get pumped for your flight. Go over what you are going to do before you get into the airplane.

Good Luck,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

RVR800
30th Aug 2001, 18:39
KT

Agree with the above

After a day of groundschool you may have been better off having a G&T and an early
night...? i.e. your brain may have had enough..