PDA

View Full Version : Grades at GCSE

Ian_Wannabe
28th Aug 2001, 00:36
Hello,

I just got my GCSE results on Thursday and was confronted by what I really didn't want to see, a D grade in maths. :( :mad:

So now I'm looking for some advice.

I know for sponsorship they ask for 5 GCSE's at grade C or above. However with this D grade does this mean that I'm going to have to resit my maths exam in order to carry on pursuing a career as a commercial pilot? Or after passing A-Levels do GCSE maths result become less important???

Thanks for your time and brains!

liquidhockey
28th Aug 2001, 01:01
I was in the same boat as you last year with a D grade in Maths.
What i did was resit the exam when i went back to college. Dont worry you dont have to resit the whole year just do the exam again.
I resat once and got a C.

I think if you have your sights set on the BA sponsership then you need a c and above in maths so id resit the exam. Not only for the BA sponsership but it will help you in other things you do as it is a core subject therefore most places ask for it.

Good luck

Dave

HomerSimpson
28th Aug 2001, 03:59
Ian,

Don't worry about not getting the grades you want. You can always resit them to obtain the required ones. I hope this doesnt set you back much, as last time we spoke you were determined as ever to succeed.

You will get there in the end, a little set back such as this shouldn't worry you. If you can start your A levels - do so, and resit the GCSE Maths too in Novemeber (if you can still do this then).

Drop me an email if you want.

Best Regards,
Homer

FL390
28th Aug 2001, 13:08
Ian

The above posts are quite right in that BA sponsorship requires a Grade C in Maths, English Language, a Science + 2 otheres (all at Grade C).

So, it would definately save you a lot of time and effort later on if you retake th exam and get a C. Not just for BA, but also the other sponsorships.

Good luck and I'm sure you will get a C grade at least if you resit them. :)

*Edited for typos

[ 28 August 2001: Message edited by: FL390 ]

MikeSamuel
28th Aug 2001, 13:38
Only problem is....
With that D in Maths - They won't let you start Maths A Level, which is very useful to have when trying for these sponsorships.
It may be worth finding out how soon you could resit the Maths, and if you could start the A Level Maths course at your school/college. Good luck...

Mike :p

Lucifer
28th Aug 2001, 14:07
I wouldn't bother starting Maths AS/A level if I were you as with a D it is obviously not your thing, and it is not going to disadvantage you so long as you can cope with mental arithmetic. Retake to get a C and you'll be OK.

neil767
28th Aug 2001, 16:36
don't bother with A levels, I got through to BA's final stage with a "C" at GCSE, I've heard about people with high grades at a level in both physics and maths no even getting this far. BA are looking for a "more rounded" person, not someone who is good at maths but lack the other skills that meet BA's Ethos

FL390
28th Aug 2001, 18:04
Yep, I was was going to do (attempt!) Math A level, but I found it hard at school that they said that do subjects that you can do best in, that would be better. As it happens, Physics is one of my stronger subjects and I am doing that for A level. However, I am doing Geography and Biology as well.

Basically, don't do Maths otherwise it will be such an uphill struggle. They don't care as long as you get the GCSE and can do Mental Arithmatic.

Good luck mate. :cool:

Ian_Wannabe
28th Aug 2001, 23:00
Hello again!

Thank you very much for all your advice, it's really appreciated.