PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Win2k

RadarContact
11th Mar 2003, 18:55
Strange thing happening - after about one hour of running without problems, my computer displays this horrible blue screen telling me it's got Altzheimer's or something to that extent.
It then dumps the whole memory to the HD (fat lot of good that does...) and reboots.
I've tried to examine the Event Log in the Admin Toolbox, thought the AntiVirus program was at fault for a while, since shutdowns seemed to occur just when it kicked in. So I installed a different one and no change :(

Just to avoid the quick shots:

It's not the PSU, just got me a new one wich provides 350W

The Mainboard, memory and graphics card seem to be ok, since there's a Win98 partition on the same machine that's been working stable for years now, even after I added Win2k, which was quite recently...

Anybody around who can read error codes? Got plenty of them from the Event log...

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Mar 2003, 20:01
The only times I've ever had W2K blue-screen it was inside a virus checker executable. Solved by getting rid of the virus checker. Where did yours crash?

RadarContact
11th Mar 2003, 20:12
Different occasions, really. Could be idling around or hitting the back button in IE up to while CD burning.

From the error message I've narrowed it down to a failed CRC check of ntoskrnl.exe, it said something like "crc not equal or lower". Now, how do I fix that? I've tried "sfc /scannow". It completed and that was it, no report or error mesage.

Looks pretty much like a reinstall to me *sigh*

RadarContact
12th Mar 2003, 14:47
[deleted, because I found out myself]

gosh, Windows help sometimes really does :eek: