PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL in US?

Bahadir
27th Aug 2001, 22:11
I am a Turkish citizen living in US with multi CPL , CFI, CFII, etc. Recently I was told by some Turkish companies that I will need to get JAR Frozen ATPL in order to apply.
The problem is, both the Turkish CAA and the university they dedicated for this training doesn't know anything about the licence conversion requirements.
So, I am tempted to get my frozen ATPL here in US, if there are schools that provide that. I know that there are couple of flight training places that provide JAR licences here in US, but I wasn't sure if they also provide training for Frozen ATPL .

Any help will be appreciated.

BAHA
[email protected]

mormoner
29th Aug 2001, 20:29
there is no frozen ATP in the USA.you have an ATP or you don't have an ATP.
and by the way what is "frozen ATP?" is it a new ice cream from Nestle or the JAR-FCL...
what you can do, is to pass the atp written test in the States and say you have a frozen.It will take you 2 weeks for that.Turkish airline will hire you on the ATR if you have your FAA cpl, ifr and your ATP written.

Low_and_Slow
29th Aug 2001, 21:56
mormoner,

I don't think he's asking about an FAA FATPL(since it doesn't exist). He seems to be asking about training for a JAA FATPL in the states....

Token Bird
30th Aug 2001, 12:18
Bahadir,

Try this link (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf) for a list of approved schools running various modular and integrated courses for JAR ATPL. It includes some based in the US,

TB

mormoner
30th Aug 2001, 19:18
turky hires with an US CPL (FAA).they don't care of the JAR.they know it' s too expensive and too long.they want pilot knowing to fly a plane, not one of these guys with 200h and 14 written tests.
Writtens tests don't bring money to an airline!
If you have 1200h and 200 multi with a US license, you are number one on their list.

Token Bird
30th Aug 2001, 20:04
'Do they also want pilot knowing to talk and spell properly?'

Mormoner/Ronchonner/Arnaud, if Turkish companies have told Bahadir he needs a JAR ATPL, then he needs one, he's hardly going to take your word for anything!

trouduc
30th Aug 2001, 23:00
send your resume and tell them you have an ATP JAR...You will receive an answer that they want 1000h, 200 multi. Send a new resume with what they want, you will receive an answer asking for a Type rating.
Send a new resume and mention you have a t/r.they will ask you 1000h, send a new resume, they will ask you 3000h as a pic, they will ask you if you have cockpit glass experience,...to resume: THEY DON'T WANT YOU!

do you see my point?
by experience, don't do what the airlines say, apply, if they tell you no, go search somewhwre else and reapply every 6 month.At the end, you will find something!

SuperTed
30th Aug 2001, 23:53
trouduc or should I say mormoner/Ronch?!

Well thats the spirit! Was there a parent/guardian or other grown-up in the room when you posted that one??!!!

Just a though!

no offence, ok?!!
:D :D :D :D

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

GPS Approach
31st Aug 2001, 17:28
Bahadir,

There are places in the US that train for the JAR ATPL License, there are plenty of threads about this subject if you do a search.

In regards to a Frozen ATPL, this means that once you have completed the JAR Course, 14 written exams, IR and CPL Flight tests you will be issued with a "frozen" JAR ATPL. You can "unfreeze" the ATPL once you have the necessary 1500 hours TT and meet all the other requirements (PIC, Night, Cross Country etc). If you already have over 1500 hours having been a CFI in the States already and you meet the other hour requirements, then once you have completed the JAR Course, you will be given a JAR ATPL and not a JAR ATPL (Frozen).

This is probably one of the most fundamental differences between JAR training and other ICAO countries in that in the JAR system you can get issued with an ATPL (all be it frozen) when you have only got 200 or so hours, whereas in the States you can't take your ATPL flight test until you've got 1500 hours and meet all the other hour requirements.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

GPS.

rolling circle
31st Aug 2001, 18:10
GPS Approach - I'm not sure that I would agree with your last paragraph. Under the JAR system you do not 'get issued with an ATPL' at 200 hours, you are issued with a CPL and Instrument Rating, exactly what you have qualified for. The fact that ATPL level theoretical knowledge has been passed makes no difference whatsoever, except that it is a JAR-OPS requirement for membership of a multi-pilot, public transport crew.

There is, in fact, no such thing as a 'frozen ATPL'. The term is simply shorthand for CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge. Whereas in the past the ATPL was issued automatically when you achieved the minimum hours required, an ATPL is not now issued until you have passed the ATPL Skill Test and, whilst there is no minimum experience for taking the test, there is not much point in doing it until you have reached the minimum hours for issue of the licence which, surprisingly enough, are the same as for the States except that 500 of them must be in multi-pilot operations.

Effectively, therefore, the two systems are virtually the same, except that to pass the JAA exams you actually have to learn the subject matter.

West Coast
1st Sep 2001, 09:46
Yup, not learning astro navigation has slowed me way down here in the States