PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Drivers.

touch&go
11th Mar 2003, 13:39
Just found out that there is a new driver for the Speed Touch USB modem. they have been out for a couple of weeks, I have just down loaded them and they work well,

You can get it at www.btopenworld.com/drivers

SLF 999
11th Mar 2003, 14:22
Im still using the old 1.3 drivers that came with the green frog, any idea what the new drives provide, eg better throughput , error correction ?
More importantly are they stable?

touch&go
11th Mar 2003, 16:07
I'm still here on line after 6 hours.......but to answer the questions: don't know and don't know.:)

SLF 999
12th Mar 2003, 09:40
Thanks Ill give them a go

osbo
12th Mar 2003, 12:40
Hi all,

just thought I'd throw in my threepeneth -

I put up with that awful Frog for about a year, before I bit the bullet and bought an ADSL router. I wish I'd done it from the outset. No more dropped connections or waiting for connections and haven't had to phone the Openworld update number once since installing it. I bought a d-link dsl-504, though there are many others out there. Prices dropping like a stone too. Well worth thinking about.

Cheers,

O

touch&go
12th Mar 2003, 13:47
osbo, is it just a case of buying this unit, pluging it in, and away you go?

osbo
13th Mar 2003, 14:21
T&G

not quite that simple, there is some configuring to do, but the interface is via your web browser, so it's nothing too complicated. For the dsl-504, I did a search and came across an excellent site that had step-by-step instructions by a knowledgable chap who had set up his own 504 having found the supplied instructions somewhat lacking. The guide is for BTopenworld, so some of the settings will be different if you are with another ISP.

The link is here:

http://www.btofaq.net/cgi-bin/fs/fcp.pl?words=504&submit=Go&d=/routers/dsl504/DSL504.html

It's available for 99 quid from Dabs, but if you shopped around I'm sure you could improve on that.

Hope this is useful to you.

O

Lost_luggage34
18th Mar 2003, 08:36
B*gger - wish I had known this. I ditched the frog about 6 months ago and spent 80 quid on a new Zoom ADSL modem.

Never had a problem since but would have preferred the router option !