PDA

View Full Version : New Airline for Luton (merged)

gremlyn
7th Mar 2003, 15:02
Anybody got a handle on who the new airline for Luton might be?

Mentioned on the website (no name or details) but the Airport's still pouring gallons of concrete and has refitted expansive offices so something's up...

:confused:

mcdonnellluke
7th Mar 2003, 16:12
Hello
Could this be BMI Baby as they are planning to annonce a new base shortly and Luton was given as one of the candidates for a new base.
Luke

LTNman
7th Mar 2003, 18:12
Also hear that the spectators building which is only around 5 years old is going to be demolished to make way for more stands for Metro.

Buster the Bear
7th Mar 2003, 19:12
Only rumours that I know of are the Baby airline and a new launch company into the old Eastern block?

gremlyn
8th Mar 2003, 10:00
Thanks - just heard that the airport has refurbished offices in Halcyon House for this 'new' airline and that it's intending to open the upper floor of the new terminal building by early 2004 to cater for an expected additional 2.5M - 3M passengers each year.

Guess it's a case of 'watch this space'...

;)

bmibaby.com
8th Mar 2003, 13:28
I heard a very interesting rumour, although what base there is to it I don't know.
Rumour has it Flightline (BAe146 and MD-80 operator) is interested in launching a new airline from either it's Southend base or from Luton with Boeing 737s leased from US Airways Leasing.
Apparently the new airline is concentrating on the markets buzz serves and many that they dropped!
Can anyone back me up? :O

VIKING9
8th Mar 2003, 15:54
Fliteline are indeed about to launch with MD82's, 2 I believe. But my money is still on BMibaby taking up "crew" residence within Halycon House;)

Hood
8th Mar 2003, 16:02
Had heard rumour that bmi baby were opening up at Bournemouth.

Eddie Ginley
9th Mar 2003, 19:41
Sorry lads and lasses - you're all way off the mark.:=

Buster the Bear
9th Mar 2003, 20:00
Okay Mr Ginley, the lads and lasses might be way off the mark, but how about us bears?

The only other slight rumour was an established UK airline moving its base/operation to Luton from another UK airport?

So if is not the baby, nor a new airline serving the eastern side of Europe, who can it be?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/realfcpwin.gif

As long as it is not another:
Fly-Victoria
Ciao-Fly
EuroCeltic
Etc

Far too many Biz-Jets, we need new cheap routes to entice visitors to my bear palace! (Oh I forgot, Mr OLNEY 1 BRAVO loves executive jets, I bet he tells me off for these comments!)
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/lol2.gif

Eddie Ginley
10th Mar 2003, 07:41
Patience little furry one...

More fishy tid-bits for the Bear Pits soon enough.

One thing though - definitely not another one month wonder.

Gumshoe Ginley

Buster the Bear
10th Mar 2003, 10:36
Mr Ginley, it is those naughty polar's that like fishy tid-bits.

The first I have ever been called little!

What I want to know, is how a bingo caller can know what is about to be announced at Luton airport? Call yourself a real detective, some on spill the beans......I have a hunch that is not really a new airline moving in just one that has been disguised elsewhere recently?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/armed/gasthrower.gif

Bumz_Rush
10th Mar 2003, 15:09
It was not so long ago that Biz jets ruled in Luton.....remember what goes around comes around. Bear with me.

Powerjet1
10th Mar 2003, 16:10
Hope it is nothing to do with that that 'sick' US Skybus operation talked about some weeks ago here on PPRune which was supposing to start up in June/July. As Buster said, more low cost european routes are what are needed, to ' magic' us all away.

LTNman
10th Mar 2003, 17:31
http://www.sky-bus.com/ is still showing a July 1st start date with a station manager vacancy at LTN. Also phone and fax numbers listed. Anyone rung them for a job????

VIKING9
10th Mar 2003, 18:01
Mmmmmmmm M Mouse springs to mind. A somewhat tacky website.......;)

Powerjet1
11th Mar 2003, 05:52
A bit off subject but have noticed that Flybe are offering daily LTN-JER from beginning of April, 3 x daily Sat. Dash 8s. An improvement on last years timetable.

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 06:54
News for the Bear...

BBC Look East report this morning that "A New Budget Airline is being launched at Luton today. Officials at the Airport are not saying much but the airline is believed to be planning to fly European routes*"

- then some of the usual easyJet / Ryanair intense competition yadayadayada.

*Note - routes plural, so more than one then...

So watch this space - or the evening bulletins!

Ginley's the name - Gumshoes' the game...:)

Dewdrop
11th Mar 2003, 07:25
I hope the company is better quality then the web site.

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 07:33
Dewdrop

Not quite sure what you mean there - have you found a new site for this as yet un-named airline?

If so please let us have the address.

Fast Eddie

PS - Apparently a similar report re: new startup at Luton on GMTV this am - though I did not see that one...

Flightrider
11th Mar 2003, 07:51
Apparently to be called Sunjet, which applied for its AOC some time ago (CAA Official Record) (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/213/1559.pdf).

From its slot applications under code SUJ, its routes appear to be:
Luton-Dusseldorf twice daily
Luton-Rome daily
Luton-Hamburg twice daily
Luton-Ibiza 3 x weekly
Luton-Jersey twice daily
Luton-Lisbon daily
Luton-Manchester twice daily
Luton-Tenerife 2 x weekly
Luton-Valencia daily

Hope this helps - apart from that, I know absolutely nothing else.

VIKING9
11th Mar 2003, 08:00
Well, all will be revealed later then. Hopefully nothing to do with the ex boss of debonair :confused:

Buster the Bear
11th Mar 2003, 08:45
What is the ex boss of Go up to these days?

SunJet eh, what an apt name for an airline intending to fly to Manchester!

Midday announcement today by TBI.

Good news relating to FlyBe and the Jersey route.

theliberator
11th Mar 2003, 09:06
Go's ex-boss...?wouldn't you all like to know!!!:D

VIKING9
11th Mar 2003, 09:07
Nothing to do with Flightline's MD82's is it ???:p

Powerjet1
11th Mar 2003, 10:06
Airline to be called 'NOW' selling fixed price seats toManchester,Hamburg, Jersey, Rome,Lisbon, Ibiza, Tenerife. 2 aircraft, 3rd aircraft after 3 months flying to Valencia & Dusseldorf. 650,000 seats on offer in first year

Buster the Bear
11th Mar 2003, 10:24
NOW! Well I suppose that is one more letter than Go.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
11th Mar 2003, 10:40
Can't see the point of doing Tenerife - Monarch Scheduled already do it from Luton!

And didn't Go quietly drop it out of Stansted?

Powerjet1
11th Mar 2003, 10:54
Apparently using 737-300s. But using mainstream airports, ie FCO, plus all seats at the same price, isn't that a recipe for disaster before they even start?.

Buster the Bear
11th Mar 2003, 10:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2838809.stm

New budget airline launches at Luton

Seven out of 10 flights from Luton are operated by EasyJet
A new UK budget airline launched on Tuesday will start flying to seven European destinations this summer.
Now, which will be based at Luton Airport in Bedfordshire, will fly to Manchester, Hamburg, Jersey, Rome, Lisbon, Ibiza and Tenerife.

The airline hopes to offer around 650,000 seats in its first year.

Now said it would offer fixed fares according to destination and season.

For example, the cost of a ticket on Now to Rome between March and May will be £55 plus £5 departure tax.

The new airline will face stiff competition from established operators EasyJet and Ryanair.

"We at Luton are proud to have been at the forefront of the budget flying revolution for the last decade.

Luton Airport managing director Paul Kehoe

The leading budget carriers have a firm grip on the lion's share of the market - together they carry more than 30m passengers a year.

EasyJet currently accounts for seven out of 10 flights through the airport.

The launch comes as a new survey shows budget airlines are outscoring charter carriers and scheduled service operators when it comes to satisfying passengers.

Luton Airport managing director Paul Kehoe said: "We at Luton are proud to have been at the forefront of the budget flying revolution for the last decade.

Headquarters at Luton

"Now again Luton is taking the UK lead by becoming a partner in the launch of a new concept in flying - second generation low cost."

Now has been given a £300,000 regional selective assistance grant from the East of England Development Agency to help with start-up costs and establish its headquarters at Luton.

The low-cost airline will using two Boeing 737 300s.

A third aircraft, which Now plans to add after three months, will enable it to fly to two more destinations - Valencia and Dusseldorf.

New low-cost airline with a difference launches at London Luton Airport 11/03/2003

…creates job opportunities for the area

A new low-cost airline flying from Luton is announced today, taking low-cost carriers into the ‘second generation’ with a unique and simple pricing structure, and creating over 400 jobs in the next three years.

Called Now, the new airline will offer fixed fares according to destination and season, so that all travellers will pay the same amount for their seats on that flight. With Now, all charges except for government tax (£5) will be included in the price. This is in contrast to the pricing policy of current ‘no-frills’ airlines, which sell the first few seats at a special promotional rate, often very low, but thereafter prices can increase substantially - and charges are often in addition to the quoted price. As an example, the cost of a ticket to Rome between March and May will be £55 plus £5 tax.

The first flight will depart from Luton in summer 2003, initially with two airplanes (148-seat Boeing 737 300s), flying to seven destinations in Europe - Manchester, Hamburg, Jersey, Rome, Lisbon, Ibiza and Tenerife (subject to final confirmation).
Growth will continue progressively with a third airplane added after three months, allowing two further destinations: Valencia and Dusseldorf (subject to final confirmation). According to Now, a capacity of around 650,000 seats will be added in the first year from Luton, which still has ample capacity to serve the increasing number of business and leisure flyers in the Midlands and South East of England. Flights to destinations with a business profile will be scheduled twice a day every day, while night flights to Ibiza and Tenerife will run four times a week and twice a week respectively. All Now’s flights will land at well-known destination airports and the inaugural flight will be to Rome Fumichino.

“We’re focusing predominantly on high-density destinations with year-round opportunity and places with a large flow from London,” says Lars Welinder. “Our customers will range from regular travellers such as expatriates and people with holiday homes, to business people, people looking for city centre breaks, or young people travelling to destinations like Ibiza. We believe there are many people in these groups who’d prefer to have a better experience when they fly - higher quality, more secure and predictable travel arrangements, still at a reasonable price.”

Now’s aim is to create a pleasant travel experience from initial booking to return, and it will offer fully flexible tickets and allocated seating, with no restrictions on dates provided the ticket is used within six months of purchase. More than 80 per cent of tickets are likely to be sold from the airline’s website, www.fly-now.com, which will go live for customer bookings in April/May. Like many quality mainstream airlines, Now will have standby planes available at short notice to back up regular flights.

Now’s executive team will comprise senior, experienced airline industry figures.

The team currently includes Nick Grimwood, a key member of the taskforce, who is chief operating officer: his background includes many years of experience in flight operations. Albert Churchman who joins from Ernst & Young as chief financial officer. The chief executive officer and chief commercial officer will be announced imminently along with other key appointments. Non-executive directors will include Jack Wigglesworth, the former chairman of LIFFE, who is joining the board as non-executive chairman and a former director of a low-cost airline whose appointment will be announced shortly.

buffet
11th Mar 2003, 11:15
Can't seem to get 'fly-now.com' , but a search revealed 'flynow.com' as a travel agent/tour operator, so I wonder if this outfit is a new branch?

MerchantVenturer
11th Mar 2003, 11:20
I couldn't get the posted link either.

Who will be the CEO? Could it be Cassani? Had a lot of time for her.

generallee
11th Mar 2003, 11:26
This is the web address for now (http://www.now-airlines.com).

Time will tell.......;)

Artificial Horizon
11th Mar 2003, 11:51
A new no frills airline has just been launched at Luton Airport. It is to be called 'Now' and will fly to 7 destinations with fixed price tickets to all its destinations.

Flights will begin at the end of June, all fares will cost the same no matter when you book, there for avoiding paying more closer to flight time.

No official word on the type of aircraft or recruitment yet.:)

Uncle Monty
11th Mar 2003, 12:10
Of all the hair-brained nonsense to come out of the "low cost" sector in the last 18 months this really takes the biscuit.

No yield management = No chance of surviving!

MerchantVenturer
11th Mar 2003, 12:19
Uncle Monty,

Your opinion is shared by one of the so-called professional finance presenters on the BBC 2 lunchtime business programme 'Working Lunch'.

The finance officer was on the programme saying that Now would be different in that they would 'care' and would chase up lost luggage and have stand-by 'planes available to minimise delays.

If they are going to do all this, how can they charge even middling low cost fares? If they don't charge lowish fares who will bother to travel if they can get full service on other airlines for similar prices? On the face of it the concept seems doomed to failure.

Powerjet1
11th Mar 2003, 12:23
First flight scheduled 14 June. Reservations open 31 March.

Spartacan
11th Mar 2003, 12:35
Well it's a surprise move in these times I must say. The focus seems to be on ironing out the points of irritation in the other low co's. I.e. disruption. My first question is what do they do when yields drop? Raise the price of ALL the tickets and put people off further?

As a global view the price of low cost tickets will probably have to rise a bit anyway. However, these guys won't be able to hide a problem. That said, I wish them all the best of luck and admire their enterprise in these troubled times.

Anyone know of Nick Grimwood's background?

Spike001
11th Mar 2003, 14:00
Just to let you all know that there is a new upcoming budget airline for Luton called "NOW".

You can read more about it here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4501-607021,00.html

Hope this might help a few out there during these hard times.

Cheers

;)

thegypsy
11th Mar 2003, 14:25
More likely NOW you see it NOW you don't!! ::D

Spike001
11th Mar 2003, 14:28
:D :D

Nice one ;) , i for one hope they manage to stay around in this climate. There seems to be quite a lot going for these Budget airlines, so i for one can't blame them for giving it a go, i wish them good luck.

Cheers

VIKING9
11th Mar 2003, 14:31
It's called Fly-now (http://www.fly-now.com) and recruitment has started. Fleet type will be B737-300 Y148

jasonjdr
11th Mar 2003, 15:04
Yeh, But can anyone read the application form??:confused: All I get is code. Sent my CV anyway, but it would have been nice to complete the form.

Is it just me?

jasonjdr
11th Mar 2003, 15:09
Yeh, But can anyone read the application form?? All I get is code. Sent my CV anyway, but it would have been nice to complete the form.

Is it just me?

Valiant
11th Mar 2003, 15:19
I've had the same problem with the application form too.

jmc-man
11th Mar 2003, 15:34
This must have had easy jet guys laughing in their coffee this morning.

Their Chief Operating Officer was last seen as a First Officer with Virgin Express.

Apart from the suspect line up, the economics of a single fare operation just don't stack up.

They would need consistent load factors in excess of 95% just to break even.

Shame people like this are allowed to waste people's time and money.

claire mc cosker
11th Mar 2003, 16:18
does anyone have the address to send cv's too?

jasonjdr
11th Mar 2003, 16:21
Its on the website www.fly-now.com (http://www.fly-now.com) . Plus there is an e-mail address aswell. Let us know if you managed to download the application?!

patience
11th Mar 2003, 16:30
nobody panic, their business model is being built around single fare prices.. it s unlikely they will survive the summer...

the COO is a pilot, the rest are accountants, the lights are out

reido
11th Mar 2003, 17:38
Just heard interview with the boss on Radio 4 - they have 2 planes only- a lot of competition!!!!

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 17:46
...with a third coming on line later in the Summer.

Anyone recall how many easyJet started with?

Gumshoe Ginley

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 17:57
...I suspect however, only after they found out that NOW don't plan to duplicate any of their routes...

Incidentally I recall back in in the late 90s the large number of people who said that easyJet would never work...

Time will tell of course- and I for one wish NOW all the best.

Ginley's the name - Gumshoe's the game.

dr yes
11th Mar 2003, 18:03
BBC London in tonight's broadcast, reports on the launch today of new airline "NOW".

Based at Luton, with standard McAirline model, B737's, holiday destinations, no cabin service, etc. etc......

Anyone heard anything about them? Which reg of aircraft, where the company is registered, routes, staffing, and the all important aircrew vacancies?

Thanks,

yes.

Buster the Bear
11th Mar 2003, 18:03
Charlie Golf and Charlie Hotel!

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 18:04
Spartacan

a direct lift from NOW's web-site...
----------------------------------------------
Nick Grimwood, chief operating officer and founder of Now, is a qualified B737 training captain, and has flown for a number of airlines in the past.

More recently, he was co-founder of a start-up airline project focusing on transatlantic services based on business-only travel at economy fares. This assignment included developing the business model, recruiting key personnel, CAA negotiation, plane leasing and regulatory and financial fitness requirements, including the air operator's certification and operating licences.
----------------------------------------------

elsewhere on another stirng on this same topic someone else has remarked that he was "last seen" as a First officer with Virgin?

Fast Eddie

Buster the Bear
11th Mar 2003, 18:08
I understand that within both easyLand and madLand, there was universal shock at a total lack of yield management.

If Now can bring jobs to the area, more grants could be on the way?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/armed/rdwhore.gif

Colonel Klink
11th Mar 2003, 18:16
Website is: www.fly-now.com
Seems thay have 2 737-300's coming and start flying on the 14th June, bookings from the 31st March. Brave taking on easyJet at their home base, but I do think their booking system is much simpler then ezy's. Should have NO trouble picking up drivers!!!!
:O

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 18:24
Absolutley correct oh cold nosed one!

Funny how short memories are eh?

Fast Eddie...

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 18:33
We keep bumping into each other on this topic my meat eating friend...

Suffice it to say that my impression is that the people at NOW are not quite as daft as some ppruners are trying to make out tonight (or perhaps would like us to believe).

The service promises on NOW's web-site are going to be hard work to meet (meat?) - but are bound to strike a chord with pax that have been on the receiving end of worst case scenario loco operations...

Off to the Bingo now...

Eddie

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 18:36
Dear Both,

Do a pprune search on LUTON to pick up the many strings on this topic currently...

Love Fast Eddie;)

VIKING9
11th Mar 2003, 18:42
How about you all try and be a little positive to the new entrants. It may be a risky time to start an airline, but what time isn't risky? easyJet started with 2 clapped out B737-200's but they are still around and succesful. If NOW doesn't last, well, at least they have tried. Maybe Ryanair will buy them out like they did Buzz, which leads me on to the question, what about fair trading and competition in this crazy industry we call aviation.

Good luck to all at Fly-Now - maybe it might just work :cool:

sky9
11th Mar 2003, 18:43
It looks to me that on some routes they are taking on the charter operators head to head. Interesting to see how long they will maintain their one price only policy - I supect until 2 weeks before the first flight leaves with 50 empty seats.

Eddie Ginley
11th Mar 2003, 19:05
I completely agree VIKING9 - and that was indeed my point.

No-one (well not many people) gave EZY much of a chance back in the 90s on startup, and despite predictions of imminent recession in the loco sector - they're still here and will probably remain...

PS - Don't get me wrong - I am neither employee, manangement or fan of EZY!

Eddie

FlapsOne
11th Mar 2003, 20:36
So what's the salary going to be?

JB007
11th Mar 2003, 22:46
Not a very inspiring management team of Directors for an airline.....looking at their CV's ask any of them what CAP 360 is and "errrr" will be the reply....

Tiger
11th Mar 2003, 23:53
Routes aren`t that strong and has competion on some of them.

Doubt MAN will last as Midland Main Line are going to start St Pancras to Manchester [LTN on that line], and they are keen that the service will be a top knotch business route.
TFS competes with Monarch and they have loyal customer base with many Time Share paxs via RCI.
JER only busy in summer months really and then there are the fog problems. Spare a/c needed to continue schedules. I remember BM having most of the DC9 `s stuck in JER after the fog came down one Sunday. There was real problems Monday morning with the GLA/EDI/BFS routes.
DUS, Rome [CIA/FCO??] and HAM will do OK. Debonair had good loads on both Rome and Dussledorf services.

Well be interesting to see how it goes.

Rollingthunder
12th Mar 2003, 01:50
At our local choke and puke this is a sandwich.

A toasted English Muffin.
One piece of Canadian back bacon.
One medium cooked fried egg
One piece of plastic cheese.
Butter, what's that?

To go, To take-away. Free, limited time offer...with a slab of deep fried, minced, potato type product.

Tomato slice... give me a break.

Rocket Ron
12th Mar 2003, 08:33
Interestingly, GO looked at JSY a couple of years ago but binned the idea for exactly the reasons stated above.

Barbara Cassani has bought a pub in West London and is writing a book about GO.

I reckon that all the ex GO employees would like to see her take over at EZY if ever they kick out RW; unlikely, but she's got quite a following, and would doubtless be flooded with applicants if ever she got involved in another low cost airline.

FormerFlyer
12th Mar 2003, 09:26
Anyone know who's AOC they will be using? Or are they applying for their own one?

I'm sure that EZY hold a licence for JER from LTN - anyone verify that :confused:

cheers ;)

FF

Lucifer
12th Mar 2003, 09:30
JB - err - how about the Training Captain? Looks like a fairly balanced board to me. Would you run an airline with all pilots and no IT, financing etc people?

Powerjet1
12th Mar 2003, 10:18
Interestingly, Flybe are starting daily JER-LTN from 15 April plus 3 x daily(sat only). Last summer, it was Saturdays only for the season. NOW will have competition before they even start.

sisyphus1965
12th Mar 2003, 11:39
I doubt the Manchester - St Pancaras train service will ever get off the ground. The amount of money Virgin contribute to government coffers will block this.

If they can offer a reasonably priced route between Manchester and London it should be successful. There are currently cheap flights between MAN and LHR but getting into central London is either extortionate (Heathrow Express) or a nightmare (any other method).
Maybe competition from the West Coast mainline - slow, unreliable, overpriced,........ !!!!

ELondonPax
12th Mar 2003, 12:47
sisyphus1965 - I think you are wrong about the trains. The Manchester St Pancras train service was mandated by the Strategic Rail authority, specifically to provide rail capacity whilst bits of the west coast mine line are closed for upgrading later this year. So that service will definitely go ahead. In fact, trains formerly used by Virgin-rail have been re-allocated to MidlandMainLine specifically for this purpose.
Perhaps the cash-rich but time-short travellers from Manchester would take the VLM service to LCY. But for time-rich / cash-short travellers, surely the train (despite less than brilliant service levels) will be more cost effective most of the time.
Going back to theme, these guys have been very successful on the PR front. Lots of uncritical coverage on both tv and the papers over the last 24 hours.

VIKING9
12th Mar 2003, 13:39
I wonder if NOW are applying for their own AOC or using Air Foyle's dormant B737-300 ticket. Afterall, they are still upstairs and quite able to reinstate the AOC if required. Just a thought.:p

Cyrano
12th Mar 2003, 14:02
I'm with JB007 on this one. Lucifer, I don't want to see more pilots on the board - just some people with airline industry experience!

virginblue
12th Mar 2003, 14:17
German LCC Germania has operated under a fixed fare system for 18 months now. They charge a fixed 55 / 99 € fare on their routes from TXL to MUC, FRA and PMI and offer an early morning and an evening flight on their "business routes" and a mid-day departure to holiday destinations. The very same concept Now has outlined. Germania will stick to this concept when their "new" Fokker 100s come online this summer. TCALSS, Germania has some experience with fixed fares and they seem to be sufficently convinced to introduce a fleet of Fokkers to expand the operation

davidberry20031
12th Mar 2003, 14:33
I think that they rip you off!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that there is a number of private airlines that are oonly made up so as they can take your money.
there is a number of airlines like British Airways or AirFrance, these companies will have these private airlines that are set up just to take peoples money and run. :mad:
This is only my opinion but i think these companies should not have these companies.

I talk about these companies and my information comes from personal experiences:* .

Zulu
12th Mar 2003, 14:51
I'm looking forward to hearing them on the R/T...

Now320, descend now FL180

Confirm you want Now320 to descend now?

Affirm, leave FL320 now, Now320

Leaving FL320 now, Now320

Now now, Now320, no need to repeat yourself

Now now yourself, Now320, we didn't!

Now320, be level FL180 at LATER

Now320, descending now, level LATER

Negative, descend NOW, Now320

Affirm, now320 leaving FL320 now, level LATER

Now320, what is your estimate for SOONE?

Estimating SOONE at 45, LATER first

Sorry, was that SOONE rather than LATER?

Reaching SOONE, then LATER, now320

etc., etc., ...

:D :D :D

MerchantVenturer
12th Mar 2003, 14:53
ELondonPax,

Re uncritical media coverage, I saw the finance officer on the BBC2 Tv business programme, 'Working Lunch' yesterday, and the opinion of the BBC financial presenter was that Now's concept would not work.

Powerjet1
12th Mar 2003, 15:11
Slightly off subject but nevertheless relevant re increasing pax passing through LTN, does anyone know when work is due to start on the new dual carriageway link road from Jct 10 M1 direct into the airport CTA. If my memory is correct, I believe goverment funding was approved in Dec 2001 and construction work was to start early 2003 taking some 18/20 months to complete.

Smoketrails
12th Mar 2003, 16:05
davidberry20031 , what the heck are you on :confused:

VIKING9
12th Mar 2003, 16:56
the same stuff that Zulu is taking http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/nosh.gif

LTNman
12th Mar 2003, 17:27
The dual carriageway upgrade is meant to start this year the last I heard. I saw surveyors out several months back.

Buster the Bear
12th Mar 2003, 19:15
I am getting sooooooo excited! I cannot wait to see the white 737's with NOW! in green on the side fly over my bear palace when Luton are on easterlies!!!!!!!!!!!

So where are the jets coming from?

Now you all know how Go named each of thier planes, like 'Go fly'? Can I name the first Now! Boeing please?

'Now! visit Buster at Whipsnade.'

Cool or what! Mr Lars needs to get me into thier marketing department pretty quick! As long as they have air conditioning in Halcyon House, I dont smell too bad! I could pop in and see the Luton Relic before he goes off collect trolleys at ASDA?

Good Idea flying to Ibiza and Tenerife at night, get all the clubbers going for a rave! I have never been to Hamburg, but it sounds like a real tasty place!

I suppose Mr OLNEY 1 BRAVO will be complaining that they are not flying to Teterboro!

Anyway, where is the next baby base?

I am Boeing Now!

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/before.gif

niknak
12th Mar 2003, 22:20
They can't be all that daft - theyve managed to get £300K from the East of England development Board, as well as several other non repayable grants from the Government, local and European sources.
So that's the 1st weeks costs taken care of, as for the rest.............?:hmm:

thegypsy
13th Mar 2003, 06:33
What amazes me is where are they getting their 737 Rated Pilots from??? Surely no one in their right mind would in this climate leave a job to join them?? Perhaps all their Captains are ex F/O,s looking for instant commands and prepared to risk it?? Or are there that many unemployed 737 Pilots still around??

VIKING9
13th Mar 2003, 06:37
thegypsy there are plenty of crews out there. No everyone wants to work for EZY or FR you know.:cool:

jmc-man
13th Mar 2003, 08:36
Niknak,

300K wouldn't cover the security deposit and first months rental on the aircaft.

They have two Interim directors (consultants, I presume), an inexperienced Chief Operating Officer, and an accountant.

I'm betting that sometime around mid- may, they will announce difficulty instarting due to the Gulf situation, by June they will be taking about delaying start until next spring, and by October it will have disappeared completely.

Happy to eat my words if it works out differently.

JB007
13th Mar 2003, 09:53
Lucifer,

Being a Training Captain does not give you any experience in getting an AOC issued....

Some Airline Management experience is required, how the hell would this lot know what a good commercial descion is when it comes to the day to day running or future planning....

Some good opportunities for some experienced people - a few post holder positions up for grabs!!!

JB007
13th Mar 2003, 10:08
Agree with jmc-man, the board have no airline experience with the exeption of the C.O.O - a Training Captain!!! - that'll help!!!

Well, good luck to them...

Dirty Harry
13th Mar 2003, 11:00
All very exciting, I have seen some of the reports in the papers, and the CEO on the news Tuesday night. IMHO this seems to be a serious contender, they seem well organised, and have addressed many of the areas other start ups seem to forget. I called them today to ask a few basic questions about recruitment, and must say the person on the phone seemed very well organised and enthusiastic about the future. I think they have a hard slog to launch for summer, but they seem to know what they’re doing, so lets see. They advised me to apply online at their website www.fly-now.com Anyone know salary, benefits, pension etc, etc.

As I am interested in a job opportunity I have done some research and for those of you who are putting the management team down, you might be interested to know that they are announcing an airline CEO, and CCO, and non execs form other low cost carriers shortly. I think these folks could be going places, it has my vote.

slackbladder28
13th Mar 2003, 13:47
This is a brief summary of what was reported in Marketing 13/03/03 -

Now has appointed 2 agencies to handle it's communications and creative strategy, Rise and DSJSW to handle it's £5mil account. The Now name was developed with Brand consultancy Fitch.

'Now' has got some good hitters working on what appears to be a pretty comprehensive Communications Strategy. The Spend is not small so providing they are not blowing hot air, this is a definite attempt to promote themselves as the 'second generation' of low cost ops.

Wish my clients thought like that! :(

Lucifer
13th Mar 2003, 14:39
Yes JB007, but it also would appear that he does further down his bio.

Quote: "This assignment included developing the business model, recruiting key personnel, CAA negotiation, plane leasing and regulatory and financial fitness requirements, including the air operator's certification and operating licences."

Captain Anchovy
13th Mar 2003, 14:40
For people like me who have a wealth of experience but find themselves in the unenviable position of having to sign on once a fortnight,job opportunities that Fly Now may create do not come along very often.Why is it then that those who are fortunate to have jobs can only make negative remarks and cast doubt on such ventures? Well I shall be applying - and good luck to them too!

PS Buster The Bear - Halcyon House has lousy air conditioning!!

CA

Powerjet1
13th Mar 2003, 15:32
Captain Anchovy

Well said and good luck.

fogatgatwick
13th Mar 2003, 20:48
RE: application form

if you can't read the application form (which is written in html) rename it 'whatever.htm' (i.e. change the bit in the end from '.doc' to '.htm') then

either
open it in explorer, print it out, and write on it with a pen,

or

open it with something that can edit html and do it that way.

hope they don't do the online bookings this like that....;)

fmgc
13th Mar 2003, 20:50
Anybody can make a bio look good. But, oh dear, the real track record is not promising, I have heard.

How is the Business Class trans-atlantic service doing?

I am afraid that it is doomed and I doubt that it will ever get off the ground.

LTNman
14th Mar 2003, 06:30
Just wonder how many of the doom merchants here who have already have written off NOW would have given easyjet a chance in 1995. Easyjet was set up with just 2 old 737-200’s, a tin shed as an HQ and with a boss who was into shipping and had no experience of airlines apart from being a passenger. The rest as they say is history....

Powerjet1
14th Mar 2003, 07:02
LTN MAN

Quite agree. It's a pretty big gamble taking on the likes of easy & ryan( allbeit with different fare structure) in their own back yard but hey, at least give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things progress over the next few weeks.

witchdoctor
14th Mar 2003, 10:51
Given the amount of bad press which most airline management teams seem to attract on pprune on a regular basis, with criticism covering every conceivable angle from financial incompetence and lack of commercial acumen to inability to run a reasonable crewing structure, can you blame NOW! for trying a different approach. It might just make a refreshing change.

Some strange little beardy bloke with a slightly dodgy background in selling records doesn't seem to have done too badly out of the airline business - what experience did he have?

bmibaby.com
14th Mar 2003, 16:29
Someone mentioned on PPrune that Barbara Cassani has set up a pub and is planning on writing a book about Go.
As a huge fan of Barbara, I'd be very interested in knowing the name of the pub!
If you could pm me if you don't want to mention it on the board!

MerchantVenturer
14th Mar 2003, 21:23
I too am a great admirer of her and it is a great pity that circumstances did not not make it possible for her to get involved with easyJet.

Can't really imagine her pulling pints behind the bar though.

Buster the Bear
14th Mar 2003, 23:57
No AOC, no planes, no staff, but bookings being taken shortly! I just hope TBI have not directly invested in this lot, for sure their shareholders will have a few words to say! Now! seem to have obtained a few local re-generation grants so they must have a certain management nuance?

I wish this new airline all the success in the world and I look forward to be invited as their special guest on their first flight. I promise to sit at the rear and have a bath prior to flying!

Right now seems to be the time to launch busterBair. No planes, no AOC, no staff and not taking bookings yet, but first flight real soon! White Boeing 737-300 with a big smelly bear on the tail! Office in my bear palace. Grants form animal welfare organisations?

Only jesting of course TBI and Now! Hope it all works out, the problem is all the failed airlines/routes over the years here at Luton.

Debonair (My fave, a purple bear on the nose)
Fly-Victoria
EuroCeltic
Ciao-fly (For now!)
The lot with J31’s to Galway and Manchester
easyJet……..Only joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

surely not
17th Mar 2003, 19:38
I get the shivers every time I see pilots trying to run an airline. Most that do end up with fantastic perks for the flight deck and go bust.

Buster the Bear
17th Mar 2003, 19:53
A bit like bears running a zoo, no idea at all! The perks however, are superb!

gremlyn
17th Mar 2003, 21:09
C'mon Buster - take the cure and kick those pesimistic negative thoughts.

All the airlines you mention as having failed at Luton have only two things in common: they all operated services through Luton and they all failed. Otherwise, there's no common denominator.

'Fly-Now' deserves to be supported and to succeed especially as its new management seems to have some refreshingly good ideas not least a healthy start-up revenue stream from various local, national and EU grants (if for no other, a good choice to headquarter at Luton [cf. easyJet] at least in the early days).

Far more pertinent to the discussion is whether or not the increased traffic likely to be generated by 'Fly-Now' can be efficiently catered-for by the existing crap local roads and inadequate local airspace.

Now that's where I would join you in being seriously pesimistic and negative...

;)

Dirty Harry
18th Mar 2003, 21:12
Buster the bear -

Do you by any chance work for EZY?

If you do, then clearly you are worried, if you don't, then I guess you are bitter and twisted about something else.

Good luck whoever you are.

Buster the Bear
19th Mar 2003, 11:58
Do I work for EZY?

Am I bitter and twisted, or am I worried?

Do brown bears love polar bears?

One thing is for sure, I hope this airline actually starts flying, if the launch is in June, they dont have long. I look forward to booking the first seat.

I think what is of more concern is if the terminal/security can cope during the peak periods when this airline looks for quick turn arounds? I am told that easyJet now operate a 40 minute turn around at peak times? The increased security measures and earlier check in closure times have helped get passengers to thier planes on time, but the summer season has yet to start, but I guess this problem affects a lot of other airports?

I do sense speculators trying to make a fast buck out of the low-cost craze. Just look at the profit made by the investors who bought Go from BA then sold at a HUGE profit! Get it wrong however, and you end up with a BerlinJet, GoodJet, Buzz and Debonair.

Shockwaves
19th Mar 2003, 12:22
Has anyone applied to Now and had any response from the company as to when interviews will be?

Eddie Ginley
19th Mar 2003, 12:59
My investigations reveal that a number of people have certainly applied - so many that their mailbox at the postal address given on www.fly-now.com is constantly full to the brim.

No news yet of anyone having received any response so far.

I'll be hanging around the place with my raincoat, fedora and telephoto lens. Any news you'll be the first to know...

Eddie the Gumshoe Ginley

Shockwaves
19th Mar 2003, 14:01
Thanks Eddie, much appreciated.

Have you had any indication as to how many/any non type rated they might be taking on?

When you 'uploaded' the application form, did you get confirmation that it had been received?

VIKING9
19th Mar 2003, 17:30
No reply to my snail mail yet, but as I said previously, I don't actually think there is anyone in the offices yet !

Captain Anchovy
19th Mar 2003, 18:05
I sent my CV by email on the day of the launch and got a reply the following day.They said they had received many applications and would be in contact in due course.As a footnote I also sent my CV to easyjet over 7 weeks ago..and I`m still awaiting a response...

CA

Spartacan
19th Mar 2003, 18:29
Story doing the rounds that they have had over 450 applications -mostly from easyJet. Also that Babs is the power behind the throne.

I have to say I smell a female behind the corporate image. I mean that in the most respectful way.

Any takers?

Buster the Bear
19th Mar 2003, 18:56
Babs involved, is this true? If it is, I had better get packing! Hamburg(ers) here we come!

Dirty Harry
19th Mar 2003, 19:45
I had a response within 48 hours, that's pretty impressive in my view. Basically said they had received a large volume of applications and would respond to all applications soon. Heard the numbers were a lot higher than 450 as mentioned above. Understand that interviews will be from late April.

MerchantVenturer
19th Mar 2003, 20:25
If this lady is involved, Now might grow and eventually take over easyJet.

Now that would be poetic wouldn't it?

Buster the Bear
19th Mar 2003, 20:35
Superb, Fly Now for now

Hamrah
19th Mar 2003, 21:57
Let me just asure any of you who are interested...

BARBARA CASSANI HAS NO INVOLVEMENT NOR ANY WISH TO HAVE INVOLVEMENT WITH THIS OR ANY OTHER LOW COST AIRLINE.

H

jmc-man
19th Mar 2003, 22:00
Anyone from Monarch or GB Airways or Virgin Express like to comment on Nick Grimwoods Management experience as detailed on the website?

VIKING9
20th Mar 2003, 08:13
update to my last entry I followed up my posted letter via e-mail and had a reply from the COO within 25 minutes. A positive reply so far. ;)

Buster the Bear
20th Mar 2003, 19:09
I really do hope that this airline can make a success of it. There must be quite a lot of Buzz folk anxious to make KLM regret their decision to part with and shaft the staff there. Not too long to wait for my first flight to Hamburg(er)!

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/CharlesDatalaw/speed_up_time_md_wht.gif

jasonjdr
21st Mar 2003, 08:30
Had no luck with the application, so e-mailed my CV and received a response the following day saying the same as above.

Good to see there are a few employers decent enough to acknowledge potential recruits.:D

Buster the Bear
21st Mar 2003, 19:16
Does anyone have any idea where thier Now! Boeings are coming from?

Question is, do I send them my CV? I could help them with their marketing campaign. "Now! visit Buster"

http://www.airscapesgallery.com/resources/b24_fly_md_clr.gif

bmibaby.com
21st Mar 2003, 20:41
Buster, I had heard a rumour that the Now! Boeing 737-300s were coming from US AIRWAYS LEASING.
I believe that US Airways had something like 7 Boeing 737-300s parked up in the desert, and that some of these have now been sidelined for Now!
Don't know too much about US Airways Leasing, just that they provide the 737-200s for no-frills-airline CanJet and I believe they're doing quite well.

eng123
22nd Mar 2003, 08:47
Does anyone know the maintenance arrangements?

VIKING9
22nd Mar 2003, 12:21
I would suspect that Fly-Now are talking to FLS & Monarch for their maintenance cover, certainly for line cover if not heavy maintenance. However, I dare say details will become available in due course.

Departures Beckham
22nd Mar 2003, 16:49
My concern would be for cash-flow. With a fixed fare structure, there appears to be no real incentive for booking early.

Buster the Bear
22nd Mar 2003, 22:45
Deps Beckham, my thoughts entirely. One waits for the competitions yield managed fares to rise above Now! published prices before booking. Would give travel agents however, a stable price to offer packages though

http://wild.stormpages.com/clipart/bear9.gif

FormerFlyer
23rd Mar 2003, 07:35
Their site (http://www.fly-now.com) has been offline for a couple of days now.

Is beginning to make me wonder.

cheers ;)

FF

Departures Beckham
23rd Mar 2003, 07:45
Just had a look and fly-now.com (http://www.fly-now.com) is u/s, but now-airlines.com (http://www.now-airlines.com) is operating.

Someone hasn't paid a server bill!

FormerFlyer
23rd Mar 2003, 07:49
And now-airlines is saying they're planning on taking booking in May - the other had said end of March I'm sure.

Hmmmm...what's going on :confused:

cheers ;)

FF

VIKING9
23rd Mar 2003, 07:55
Come on, don't start to run them down. So what if they have a few tech problems with the website, who doesn't? I do and I get on with it. Give them time to settle and prove everyone wrong !;)

Buster the Bear
23rd Mar 2003, 16:16
Look what happens when you click here:-

www.sunjet-airlines.com

www.now-airlines.co.uk

http://wild.stormpages.com/clipart/bear8.gif

brabazon
24th Mar 2003, 08:52
Deps Beckham

You've hit the nail on the head. The fixed fare idea is great for a consumer, but not so good for the airline. The beauty of the easyJet model of fares rising over time as you get nearer to departure time is that it encourages those who are able to book and pay early to do so and penalises those who are able to pay the higher fares and who don't book until later. Being direct sale only easyJet gets revenue up front before the variable costs of the flight - fuel, airport charges, line maintenance etc - are incurred and helps cash flow.

For Now, there are two extremes they could encounter - flights in the summer holidays or weekends will sell possibly well in advance as people fear they will be sold out, but flights off-season, mid-week and off-peak times will languish until near the flight and may end up flying at below break even, in these cases easyJet would possibly introduce a seat sale to stimulate bookings - will Now do this?

No-frills airlines have certainly had a major effect of air transport in the UK, but can the market sustain as many different carriers as we have now, not to mention the full-service carriers who have reacted with lower fare initiatives....

Departures Beckham
24th Mar 2003, 17:21
Just reeceived my first message from the Now e-mail subscription service, part of it reads:

Since our press launch last week, it has been brought to our attention that our website is very similar to www.flynow.com operated by Travelmood, a travel agency, specialising in long haul tailor-made holiday options. We wish to make it clear that Now Airlines and Travelmood are two totally separate organisations and in order to avoid any misunderstandings; we have decided to move our web site until further notice to our corporate domain www.now-airlines.com (http://www.now-airlines.com)

There is the answer to our website query.

SORRY VIKING9! I typed the web address incorrectly ... it'll work now.

Edited to change the web address.

VIKING9
25th Mar 2003, 06:51
www.now-airlines.com (http://www.now-airlines.com) doesn't work !!

Powerjet1
25th Mar 2003, 09:39
Viking 9

Yes it does.

Departures Beckham
25th Mar 2003, 09:50
PJ1: Viking was clicking on the link in my post above, in which I had unfortunately typed the hyperlink incorrectly. I have now updated it so the link is correct.

Now use the phrase:

http://www.now-airlines.com/images/we_do_it_right_Stacked.gif

... It's a shame I couldn't :)

VIKING9
25th Mar 2003, 12:08
http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/how.gif

VIKING9
3rd Apr 2003, 16:19
The Postman has just delivered an envelope containing some documents I had sent to Fly-Now. He said "returned to sender - address unknown"......seems they have not moved in to Halcyon House. I simply copied the address from the website and posted it...........:rolleyes:

Powerjet1
3rd Apr 2003, 16:59
Viking 9

Same thing happened to me. When I telephoned, a most polite lady was very apologetic. Said the address is correct and that they had been receiving mail into there. She was not aware of any problem. However, from the conversation I got the impression no one is working there yet, telephone calls being answered from elsewhere. Suggested I email. Have done so.

VIKING9
3rd Apr 2003, 18:12
I too e-mailed them, and had a positive reply within 30 minutes of sending it. Told me they'd be in touch in 2 to 3 weeks, that was just over a week ago. Thanks.

Powerjet1
5th Apr 2003, 20:46
Don't ask me how but a very reliable source has indicated that the first flights are due to commence week commencing 28 July. We will have to see. Haven't seen anything about new CEO and other senior mangement positions that were supposedly being announced ' imminently' as mentioned at the launch last month.

Buster the Bear
6th Apr 2003, 05:55
Flights need passengers.

Passengers need to be informed of this new airline.

Zilch advertising locally currently.

So whare are these passengers coming from? I have been a victim of doubting the intentions of this airline on this forum page.

If the grants listed via thier media release fail to happen, what next?

easy are also after EU grants to move thier H.Q down the road. They might not need this after the culling of staff this week within the easyAirline?

Fly Now, Sun-Jet or whatever thier name is today.

Halcyon is empty, are thier promises as well?

Ah well, the airport operator is fully behind this 'operation' and as an airport operator, they are in possesion of all the key facts. Airport 1, Buster 0.

I look forward to actually being able to book a seat. (And if anyone mentions the war, Now announced its intentions prior to a conflict and knowing full well, that one was coming!).

Ciao fly now, for now!

Powerjet1
6th Apr 2003, 14:44
Buster

I have to say I tend to agree with your comments and share your scepticism. The proposed July start date may well prove to
be ' pie in the sky'. We'll just have to wait and see. Certainly local advertising is zero at the present time, even for base jobs in admin/finance etc, which one would expect to see in the local press.

VIKING9
6th Apr 2003, 18:49
So here we are in April, a few weeks after NOW announced their intentions to start flying, and still little to show in reality. I know these things can sometimes be slow to "get off the ground", and having been involved in a few start ups, I know it can actually be normal practice. The fact that Halcyon House is still empty doesn't mean it won't be filled soon. I do wonder though where NOW are functioning from at present.

I still have faith in the fact that this company may start up as planned, lets face it, the world is full of doom and gloom at present, so maybe a few more positive words can only help.

I wonder if anyone from LTN Airport has any details that can be revealed?

Dirty Harry
10th Apr 2003, 01:06
In Luton today and can confirm that Now are in offices at Halcyon House.

Anyone had a response to their job application?

VIKING9
10th Apr 2003, 03:00
Had an e-mail from HR on Monday to say they had received my documents.

Powerjet1
10th Apr 2003, 03:02
Same here. Things must be looking up.

VIKING9
14th Apr 2003, 15:08
I keep getting e-mails from HR saying that "we won't be able to respond for at least 4 weeks"........ they've been saying that now on and off for 3 weeks. Anyone else getting them too and are they just automated messages ? :confused:

mickey71
15th Apr 2003, 10:15
hi,

the new airline set to operate out of luton is called 'now',
from what i have heard its 'go' reformed under a new
name flying to some old 'go' routes ex stn,new routes
should be ibiza,rome - ciampino,manchester and prague.
operations should start end of june using b737-300's.

i hope this helps

Powerjet1
15th Apr 2003, 14:07
Mickey 71

Have you read any of the previous 150 posts on this topic?.

Viking9

Email from company confirming actively recruiting admin staff as we speak

B757RATED
17th Apr 2003, 16:34
Regarding the possible start date of 28 July I have to ask whether that is at all realistic.

Give that most pilots are on three months notice the timeline might look like this:

28 July: First line flight.
14 July: Join airline and complete SIM and induction training.
21 April: Resign from present airline giving three months notice.
17 April: Todays date.

Unless they have identified a readily available source of crews (retired BA perhaps) you could argue that a July start is unrealistic.

I sent them a CV in mid March. A few weeks later I had an email saying that they wanted more in formation - either a CV or an online application. Still no news of either an interview or rejection.

A Very Civil Pilot
18th Apr 2003, 00:34
I was contacted last weekend (13.4.03) saying that they had passed my CV through 2 stages and where calling to see what my availability was. Interviews are likely to be towards the end of April.

There is a recruitment consultant doing the job now, rather than it being done in-house.

Buster the Bear
18th Apr 2003, 04:38
The Baby was not born at Luton, let us hope that Now can absorb the many countless talented airport folk soon to be out of work over in Essex.

My understanding of the lack of baby is more to do with the lack of subsidies than passengers and long term profit. The Welsh venture rumour has it, has loads of regional assistance, my guess is that the Peellers have also offered the world?

Now have a golden opportunity to corner part of an ever growing low-cost market and an ever diminishing IT clientele with a huge southern catchment area?

All they Now have to do is link the easyCruises ports back to Luton?

A Very Civil Pilot
23rd Apr 2003, 17:02
I've been offered an interview next week.

Powerjet1
23rd Apr 2003, 17:06
AVCP

Good luck with the interview. Things must be moving forward, albeit slowly.

BigMarv
24th Apr 2003, 19:07
Having been involved with a start-up venture myself, seen the challenges etc. I am wondering whether they have thought of the small things such as, I don't know, a reservations system? Open Skies give a three month implementation time-scale, others that are not open skies offer a (very) slightly reduced time scale but are not designed for this type of operation - or needs to be refined at least.

Sounds dull but does anyone have any info on this side of the business? Who is their systems person, where is their call centre? What system they are using?

There are other small things such as the obvious marketing needed, out-station presence, cabin crew training and interviews, It just seems too rushed, and not thought about on anything other than the superficial level.

Anyone?

BHX
25th Apr 2003, 00:21
Does anyone know terms and conditions yet?

PAXboy
25th Apr 2003, 05:30
After all the excitement of Now (judgement reserved!) any news of the other bunch? Sky Bus (http://www.sky-bus.com/)

Their web site is well ropey and looks like the folks who could not bring the Blue Fox (all biz from STN) concept into being after 9/11, have turned themselves into the same but all Y and going well off the beaten track to regional airports. For example, Pease International is international because they have one flight a day to a Canadian regional field. They are mid-way between Boston and Portland.

Incidentally, it looks as if one of the folks mentioned in Now is also ex Blue Fox.

They are talking about a July 1 start. Yeah right!
:p

Powerjet1
27th Apr 2003, 11:49
Their website is now indicating that reservations should commence in August, not May as previously stated. Looks like the summer(July) start up date has gone out the window, with October/November looking more likely. Who knows?

jmc-man
28th Apr 2003, 06:45
I refer the honorable gentleman to the statement I made earlier .....

I'm betting that sometime around mid- may, they will announce difficulty in starting due to the Gulf situation, by June they will be taking about delaying start until next spring, and by October it will have disappeared completely.
:) :) :)

Buster the Bear
28th Apr 2003, 07:01
jmc-man has as much faith as..............?

I look forward to booking in May....August...........2004............2006

I will be on thier first flight, but bear's do not live forever!

VIKING9
29th Apr 2003, 04:18
Mmmm just checked the website and it says that bookings will start to be taken in MAY. Yesterday it said AUGUST !!:ok:

Dirty Harry
29th Apr 2003, 05:34
Got my interview comming up soon, as do some of my mates. I do know that Now have simulator bookings for June and July. Just checked the website, says bookings from May, so perhaps the August mention was a typo.

Powerjet1
29th Apr 2003, 13:56
A word from ' the horses mouth' tells me that the change of reservations date was due to ' Gremlins in the system' and would be corrected. Apparently still on course for bookings to commence late May or early June, flights from August.

mosantu
10th May 2003, 21:25
Hello guys,

just got interview last tuesday with Now Airline, looks promising, they will be operated two B737-300 from Luton this summer to start with. They are planning to intoduce more aircraft after, for a total of 15 by the next two years.
Just wait and see what will happen, the conditions look nice on the paper.
the company web www.now-airlines.com
Any of you know more about it ?

thanks

mosantu

VIKING9
11th May 2003, 01:11
First flight is planned for 01AUG03, cabin crew and ground staff are being processed very soon.

VIKING9
17th May 2003, 16:45
Just wondering how or if bookings can be made via the website. There doesn't appear to be any link or information other than "bookings will be taken in May".

Dirty Harry
20th May 2003, 04:00
Done my simulator check at Cranebank on the BAC 1-11, yes a BAC 1-11! The thought of flying a 1-11 was a shock to the system, but have to say she flew beautifully, very nice simulator. Now waiting to hear how I did, anyone else heard anything?

:ok:

A Very Civil Pilot
20th May 2003, 15:47
Letters will be in the post in the next 1-2 weeks. The 1-11 sim was interesting. We had the engine noise turned down, and all I could hear was the groaning of the hydraulic jacks. It sounded like being on a sinking ship!

VIKING9
20th May 2003, 17:13
Cranebank has a B737 SIM so I guess the 1-11 was the only one available.

B757RATED
24th May 2003, 14:58
According to the Gaurdian (May 2, 2003) NOW are planning to 'acquire' a company in the aviation industry. Is this a charter contract? Apparently the Tenerife and Ibiza services are night flights. Four times a week to Ibiza and twice weekly to Tenerife.

It seems plausible that they might like to include a charter contract for the revenue. However, this could make for some 'interesting' rosters if they are planning a tight operation with maximum flying hours.

Can any B737-300 pilots comment on the payload range for Tenrife to Luton? I.e. might this route involve a tech stop?

kriskross
24th May 2003, 20:14
Like a lot of aircraft, it would depend on the take off performance, i.e. the engine thrust ratings. The -400 and -300 with probably 22k engines should be able to do it, with 24k engine (round figures I know) would be able to do it with ease. I have done it many times.

The NG would eat it.

VIKING9
25th May 2003, 04:30
I'm not sure where the a/c are coming from but CFM56-B1 powered -300's will struggle in the summer months.

loulou
24th Jul 2003, 20:04
Hi

I had an interview with Now Airlines for their cabin crew recruitment on the 20th of july and they told us that they will start operations at the beginning of october this year with 3 brand new 737 from the boeing factory and maybe a 4th aircraft will be added at the end of the year.
The cabin crew training will start in september.
In the next few days it will be possible to make reservation trough the website
Uniforms are not yet finalised