PDA

View Full Version : Hardware prob?

tony draper
11th Mar 2003, 07:09
Doing this on me spare puter, the Draper super puter is acting strange.
Switch on and the machine boots starts displaying the pre windows text, Hard disc detected, memory check ect ect, then shuts dow and reboots and does the same thing again.
I t did get as far as the hit del to enter bios screen and I loaded the fail safe defaults, but it continued doing the same.
Its not the hard disc, tried that in another machine,in fact tranfered it to this machine and I'm using it now, possibly a memory or bios fault?.
Anybody got any ideas?.
:confused:

timmcat
11th Mar 2003, 09:07
Could be a multitude of things.. could possibly be a faulty power supply, ie as soon as its loaded, (ie trying to load OS) it packs up and goes home.

Have you recently added any extra bits (ie additional drives) which are likely to put the PSU under extra strain?

Tim.

tony draper
11th Mar 2003, 10:29
Nah, can't be the PSU, I got three puters but only one PSU betwixt em,the PSU is running this machine just fine.
I leaning toward a memory prob, trouble is its a 133 mgz memory stick in the duff puter, and this one is either 66 or 100mhz, so I cannot swap over the sticks to test this idea.
Only ever had one CPU go TU on me, in that case the machine was just dead.
Anyway I got a few spare CPU's if that is the case.

Mac the Knife
11th Mar 2003, 17:54
Check your keyboard for stuck keys a/o try another keyboard.

I got caught like that once!

Cornish Jack
11th Mar 2003, 18:19
Had the same symptoms a while back. Turned out to be the processor - swopped under guarantee, no further probs.

tony draper
11th Mar 2003, 19:49
Prob sorted , yanked the memory stick gave the contacts a wipe fired up and its fine.
Built this particular machine about a year ago,had to flash the bios on the M/B to accomodate a faster CPU, had a few bios probs with it is all, thats sorted now.
Re moving hard disks between machines, not had any probs with that, the hard disk loads a few thing up it needs for the new motherboard I assume, and works just fine, same thing when I returned it to this machine.
Thanks for the help peeps. :D