PDA

View Full Version : Work permit in the US?

Squawk_Standby
11th Mar 2003, 03:50
Hello all!

I would like to know if some of you have experience with getting a working visa to work as a pilot in the US. I was told that you need a sponsor - which I have. The type of visa is called H1b (?), but someone else told me that there are no working visas for pilots.

Has anyone here gone this road? I know how difficult it is right now :(

SBY

eaglejet
11th Mar 2003, 18:34
The H1B is a valid working visa for either a restroom cleaner or a pilot!! as long as you are working for the company, person that will sponsor you.

So if you have a sponsor for the H1B you are a lucky guy, don't hesitate......

Could you tell us a bit more about this sponsoring? are you sponsored by an airline, aircraft owner........???

Tanx

Squawk7777
12th Mar 2003, 03:38
Hey other Squawk!

A friend of mine got his H1B visa denied a few weeks ago! He also applied for a pilot position, a flight school/charter place wanted him. The INS stated that the pilot profession does NOT qualify for this visa type (H1B).

I also tried (or am trying) this route. Unfortunately, I don't have a sponsor yet, but the news from my friend is grim. Apparently, the INS argues that a pilot position doesn't require a college degree (...and want do most airlines want in the US?- dop!) and the H1B visa requires a "specialty occupation" with a four college degree.

Very sad times ahead. If anyone has tried this route and succeeded please PM me. :(

LearjetGA
2nd Apr 2003, 22:45
I am on a H1B visa and i fly Learjets for a company in the southeast. The H1b1 application is fastidious and long. The denial of it is a possibility (don't forget the 1000's of us pilot on the street).
Also don't forget the title of the H1B1, it's called speciality occupation, in other words, what makes you more specialized to fly an airplane than an american. It could be a college degree, it could be languages, it could be that you are an excellent cook, whatever. YOU NEED TO STATE THAT YOU ARE EXCEPTIONALLY MORE QUALIFIED THAN A CITIZEN. That's it. It helps also not to be a citizen of one of the countries on the terrorist countries watch list.

Hope this helps.
LearjetGA