View Full Version : Super Hornet = Super Jet or Super Dud?

Booger
11th Mar 2003, 03:22
:confused:

Just curious to know what any sharpies think about the Super Hornet now that Boeing is subtly marketing this puppy abroad... I know this forum is fairly "Euro-Centric" but would be interested to hear what scuttlebutt is being heard in crewrooms around the world.

Specifically, I have seen a detailed report by an allegedly well-respected USMC fighter/test pilot who is extremely dismissive of it (describes it as a "wheezy Hornet"...) Mind you, the rebuttal from the Boeing Test Pilot was equally scathing ("hasn't flown the jet - how detailed could the report be?").

Whilst not in the class of many prototype/IOC < 5 years away aircraft types it does appear to offer a reasonable "bang for your buck" option. Although it doesn't offer any quantum leap in capability (aside from APG-79 IOC ~06??) it's available now with proven technology, stores clearances etc... and fairly large support infrastructure in the form of 700+ airframes being procured by the USN/USMC.

I've deliberately tried to avoid the comparisons with Typhoon, Rafale etc... but I realise it's hard to discuss a single type 'in isolation' when identifying strengths & weaknesses.

So what do you reckon, is the F-18E/F 'sexual chocolate' or is it like 'masturbating with a cheese grater'..??;)

smartman
11th Mar 2003, 09:05
Is this the same booger who once fell in with a couple UK marketeers in the RAF Club London - you were on some sort of penalty posting maybe??

Jackonicko
11th Mar 2003, 09:13
A good air-to-mud aeroplane, with credible AA capability, and relatively cheap, but not a modern air defence aircraft in the Typhoon/Rafale class.

But quite possibly a more cost effective, more versatile option for the RAAF than the JSF.

Divergent Phugoid!
11th Mar 2003, 13:46
Hey!! Don' t knock the Cheese Grater!! I do find the Nutmeg grater slightly more interesting though!! Woops!! Is this thing still logged on?

:O :O :O ;)

ftrplt
11th Mar 2003, 21:21
Hey Jacko,

unti the Typhoon actually becomes operational, any version of the Hornet is a better AD platform

Jackonicko
11th Mar 2003, 23:39
True.

But what's just around the corner is relevant. The Super Bug wouldn't measure up against the theoretical 'developed' Flanker threat, either.....

anytimebaby
12th Mar 2003, 00:26
A clean Super Duper is pretty fancy and a massive improvement on the now ageing regular old Hornet. Remember though, it is out there to replace the mighty Tomcat, which is going to die out in a few years. Sure the E/F takes up less deck space and is more reliable - it works. So that can't be bad. But it has several limitations:
- WIth tanks and bombs etc, couldn't keep up at 400kts into the break in a hot place yesterday.

- Can't carry half the payload, half as far as the F14. Serious problem when faced with an Afghanistan problem.

Basically it's like replacing an E Type Jag with a Toyota MR2, it looks pretty, has a great stereo, and that's about it. Chicks always go for the Jag.

Booger
12th Mar 2003, 10:01
Anytimebaby - 400kts at the break??? Even bombed up that is super-wheezy. Doesn't bode well for the E/F's ability to impart a lot of v-squareds to the 'little grey wingman' at launch.

Then again, the world is fast running out of credible air threats that could out-pole any frontline US fighter so perhaps that's not a big deal. If it's cheap(ish), reliable, proven & comes with all the mod-cons then it may well be the quiet achiever in the current crop of plastic fantastics. Add APG-79 to the list and it would certainly find a place in my shopping cart.

Whatever it's positives, it sure looks like it sucks the big one when it comes to range. Shame it couldn't substantially improve that on that achilles heel of it's Hornet ancestry. :(

PS. smartman - different booger I'm afraid, there are boogers everywhere...

tumble_weed
13th Mar 2003, 01:59
Hey Boooooger Mate,

How are the newbies going? Hope they haven't scared you too much yet?

Anyway, I don't think I need to voice my opinion on the Super 'Tupperware Jet', I'll always be a Beagle boy. But hey, if they get rid of the Pig I'll be just happy to get any new jet back at Amberfield.

Enjoy the flying back home.

:confused:I'm a bit confused: It looks like a beach, but where are the waves?

46Driver
13th Mar 2003, 04:25
Correct me if I am wrong (and somebody always will on this board...) but the SuperHornet is only going to the Navy and not the Marines (unless we get a version to specifically replace the Prowler.)

Booger
13th Mar 2003, 08:47
46Driver - my mistake, you are spot on. The Boeing reps made mention of the USMC being 'courted' with the option of Super-dupers (specifically the EA-18). Thereby implying they aren't on the buyer's list yet.

As far as I'm aware the USN already has a couple of units operating the E/Fs, but whether they are embarked or shore based currently I don't know. Any yanks care to fill the blanks on that one?

With their entry into service, I'm surprised on the lack of banter on the initial crews' impressions. "Anytime baby" alluded to the fact that Tomcat drivers would be progressively transitioning to the super-bug and any resistance to the new toy would most likely come from them I'd imagine.

Tumble_weed - newbies are horrible, arrogant, know-it-alls. Nothing at all like me when I was on course!!! Stay out of trouble at the beach, say Hi to super nav.:}

Archimedes
13th Mar 2003, 15:21
Booger,
off the top of my head, think that Super-Duper users to date are:

VFA-122 (OCU)
VFA-115 (E-model)
VFA-14 (F)
VFA-41 (E)
VFA-102 (F)

Aircraft have arrived for VFA-2 to transition, but the squadron is currently embarked off a beach near(ish) to Iraq, so may be delayed in re-equipping.

VFA-115 have been/are on a cruise aboard Lincoln, and have dropped things on various Iraqi targets. There was a report in some journal(Air Forces Monthly? :confused: ) where the CO/XO of the unit said how good the 'plane was.

Biggus
13th Mar 2003, 19:14
If it was for a journal, and would be attributed to him, would he say otherwise? Bad career move, etc! Just a thought.

Archimedes
13th Mar 2003, 22:58
Fair point, but I meant 'how good it was' in the sense 'gave an assessment of the aircraft's qualities'. Quite how you were supposed to work that out from what I wrote, though... :rolleyes:

Ex Douglas Driver
15th Mar 2003, 05:49
I hear it has been nicknamed "The Rhino".
i.e. certainly not dainty or nimble, but you sure don't want to get in the way as it packs a heavy punch.