PDA

View Full Version : Converting JAR IR to FAA IR

The man formerly known as
18th Dec 2001, 19:37
I understand you can gain FAA IR priviledges based on a JAR IR by sitting a ground exam.

Is this true, has anyone done this? Is there anywhere in the UK you can do the conversion?

englishal
18th Dec 2001, 20:35
Yes its true ! Its called the 'Instrument Foreign Pilot' test...basically a computer based multi choice test

When a U.S. pilot certificate is issued under FAR 61.75, it will include all the ratings (including large aircraft type ratings) that the applicant is qualified for on his foreign pilot certificate except for the instrument rating. If a foreign pilot wishes to obtain a U.S. certificate under FAR 61.75 and include instrument privileges that he may have on his foreign certificate, he must take a written (computer) knowledge test to show familiarity with our instrument rules of flight. This test is called the Instrument Foreign Pilot (IFP) test

Shame it doesn't work both ways :eek:

The man formerly known as
19th Dec 2001, 13:10
Thanks Englishal.

Do you know of anywhere in the UK you can do it???

englishal
19th Dec 2001, 13:25
I'm not sure if you can do it in the UK. There is a school (see one of the other posts about FAA schools in the UK) in Norwich which can carry out the FAA lazergrade exams, but I'm not sure they can issue the airmans certificate. You may be able to get the exams done, then take your results to a FSDO in the US when you get your FAA licence, and then they'll issue the certificate with IR privileges straight away. Try giving them a call and see whath the score is.

Cheers

EA

GoneWest
20th Dec 2001, 05:50
But....if the IFP exam is to support a license based on a foreign pilot licence...you don't need a T.A.C. .....the IFP exam will give you IFR priviledges on your ICAO PPL (or whatever).

DesiPilot
20th Dec 2001, 21:24
Is there any expiration date for IFP test? Two years maybe!!

wcall
20th Dec 2001, 21:35
So how do you stand if you have a JAA CPL or ATPL and wish to convert to FAA ATP? What sort of tests are involved other than that mentioned above?

englishal
21st Dec 2001, 18:58
Need to complete:-

FAA IR / ME / CPL / ATP check rides, and associated ground exams. Also need to have 1500hrs TT before the ATP check ride.

You'll have to do the full IR check flight and exams rather than the IFP test, as you are applying for a 'stand-alone' licence rather than one issued on the basis of your foreign licence.

planet
21st Dec 2001, 20:58
I have a JAA CPL/IR and am also considering equiping myself with FAA CPL/IR. Englishal, from what you have said it seems the IFP only gives PPL/IR privileges. Is this correct? If so, what US schools can be reccommended to get the FAA IR/ME/CPL?

wcall
22nd Dec 2001, 02:20
So to for all intents and purposes, you may as well sit the FAA exams along with the JAA to save on double study. Thank you for your help.

englishal
22nd Dec 2001, 14:53
I did my IR / ME IR at Rainbow Air in Long Beach, and its where I'm going to take my CPL. You're right when you say the IFP test only gives you PPL IR privilages based on your foreign licence. The way I have been doing the FAA tests / exams is to:

Do the IR, so now you have the full FAA IR

Do the PPL ME and on same check ride get IR privileges by shooting two approaches, one with engine out

Take the CPL in a complex single...reason for this is that if you take it in a multi, then you have to have completed all the requirements (300nm X/C VFR day and night) in the ME increasing cost (unless you already have these requirements)

Take the CPL ME (with IR). As you already have the PPL ME then this is an 'easier' check flight, similar to the one already carried out for the PPL

Now you have the CPL SE/ME IR you can legally act as co-pilot in anything and Captain in a twin A/C less than 12000 lbs. You need a high performance endorsement for an A/C giving over 200HP per engine, though this is a simple instructor sign off though.

If you want to build hours as an instructor, you need to get a CFI rating, and once you have this I'd recommend getting the CFII (Instrument instructor) ratings.

If you have 1500hrs TT and all the requirements in the FARs then you can go and take the FAA ATP flight test.

Hope this helps a bit....

EA

Facts Not Fiction Pls
22nd Dec 2001, 19:54
If a pilot holds a minimum of ICAO CPL with a full instrumnet rating, meets all the FAA ATP flight experience then he can jump straight into the ATP written and flight test.

This elimiates the need to get the PPL conversion, IR add on, CPL etc.

With the ATP flight test you will need to complete a test on both single and multi should you want the privileges in both.