View Full Version : What are YOUR true and official reasons?

lateahead
14th May 2001, 15:46
Hi folks!

Everyone who wants to enter the cockpit as a professional, is squeezed by one or more of those famous entry interviews (in deed, any professional in any branch goes this way).
As known "motivation" is probably the most recommended quality of a pilot.

So everyone has to give his personal reasons on the question
"Why do you want to become an airline pilot?!"

I know, each person has its own reasons and everyone should answer this question individualy. But I'm interested in those answers which tend to be accepted by the airlines and which tend to be refused.

So I beg you to give me an impression, which reasons to become a pilot made you get your jobs (or make you hope to). - (Don't worry, I'm not planning to copy your reasons - 'cause I have my owns.)
Is it more the fascination for flying, is it a strictly rational analysis of the job's details or what else is it what the companies want to hear?

I'm looking forward your impressions.
Feel free to spread them. :)

[This message has been edited by lateahead (edited 14 May 2001).]

bottle2throttle
14th May 2001, 16:35
Good question, I was about to start the very same thread.

The only advice I can give is to tell them the truth. Just open up to them. (don't break down in tears or anything) make your answer honest. They will see right through you if you start spurting out bull****.

As far as I'm concerned this is the question I dread the most. I've wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember (literally), I can prove this with pictures etc, and the fact I started to fly when I was 14, but to be honest I can't remember why I'm so passionate on Aviation, is it some sort of disease....a bug maybe?

I would interested to here other peoples coments on this topic.

------------------
Jesus, this bogy's all over me...........

Turned and Slipped
14th May 2001, 16:44
Good Question and always comes up in interviews.

My answer is the same as bottle2throttle', it's a completely irrational desire to fly. I first flew when I was 15 and haven't thought about another job since.

Maybe I was dropped on my head a lot as a child, that's the best reason I can give.

T&S

------------------
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Tigereye
14th May 2001, 17:02
Flew into Dubai at night, about fifteen years ago. The Pilot did some 'steep' turns.
I looked out of the window and knew then that I had to become a pilot.
Nearly there. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/jump.gif

foghorn
14th May 2001, 18:13
Always wanted to be a pilot since watching 'Fighter Pilot' on TV and being taken up to the pointy end during the annual package holiday to the Costa.

Wanted to join the RAF. Left-wing parents told me no.

School told I'd never make it as a pilot - it's for the elite, you're too clumsy, not co-ordinated enough - the usual tripe.

Did really well at school. Told to head for the academic life, Degree, PhD etc. Pushed hard in that direction by parents. Got a place at Cambridge. All seemed to make sense at the time. Flying plans long since cancelled and forgotten.

Hated the academic life. Did too much sport and drinking, and got bad results. Flying plans so completely forgotten that I miss an excellent chance to fly with the UAS. Fool.

Graduate into recession. No job to go to. Ended up on the other side of the world working for a mate in IT, just to avoid the rock'n'roll.

Five years later back in the UK earning good wedge in an industry I never wanted to work in, have got personal life sorted out enough to do my PPL. No real plans to take it any further.

Go for a trial lesson. Hits me like a laser beam. Yes, this is what I always wanted to do. Years of suppressed ambitions flood back. Softly softly, one step at a time, let's get the PPL first. Might not be good enough - have difficulty shaking off the old clumsy kid jibes. Instructors tell me that I fly 'beyond my hours'.

Two years later I'm on the brink of doing the modular CPL/IR after a year distance-learning the ATPL's. Funding agreed, hour-building complete, just waiting for this month's ATPL results. Nothing will get in my way this time.

My motivation? I don't want to get to forty still being a wage-slave, asking myself 'what if?'

Never, ever, give up.
foggy.

(edited slightly to be a bit fairer on my parents who have only ever had my best interests at heart!)

UPDATE: I passed all the ATPL's. It's the CPL/IR flying next for me, starting June 12th.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 16 May 2001).]

Token Bird
14th May 2001, 18:30
Foghorn,

what a lovely story. I have a tear in my eye.

TB

ickle black box
14th May 2001, 18:45
The interviewer will also want to know that you fully understand whats involved in being an airline pilot. Make sure you speak to comercial pilots, and do lots of information gathering. Then in the interview, you can say "I know whats involved, and really want to do it". Don't just say you want to be a pilot cos it's cool!

ickle ;)

I. M. Esperto
14th May 2001, 19:04
When I was 8 in 1939, my folks took me to the NY Worlds Fair.

I got to touch a Piper Cub. I was hooked.

I built models, and flew them. I read evrything I could about flying.

My parents were dead against the idea. I went on anyway.

I applied fro Navy flight training in 1952, reported in 1953, and got out in 1957 to try the airlines.

Dad insited I join him in the real estate business. I went to work as an Airline Pilot, and have no regrets.

InFinRetirement
14th May 2001, 19:24
Foggy. What does your cracking little story say about dedication and motivation. Very close the perfect example I reckon.

I like it Foggy. You'll enjoy the seminars then eh? Well said.

foghorn
14th May 2001, 19:26
TB,

Thanks

IFR,

Thanks - see you at the seminar!

cheers!
foggy.

Eagle 1
14th May 2001, 19:45
Watched 'Top Gun' when I was 5, was totaly gobsmacked and amaized, read everything i could about flying, had my first lesson when i was 11, joined the ATC at 13 and i have not even looked at any other jobs.

So you could say i have the bug

:)Eagle 1 :)

Snigs
14th May 2001, 22:57
Foggy,

You've written my life story, (uncanny, almost exactly the same but my folks were right wing!! :) )

I look forward to meeting you, perhaps at the seminars!

ROTATION
15th May 2001, 12:12
Never mind your real reasons - this is what they want to hear at interview:

I want to be a pilot because it is something I've always been passionate about and wanted to do and additionally I savour the prospect of being an integral part of a successful business operation.

You get the gist.

HomerSimpson
15th May 2001, 15:34
I have wanted to be a pilot from the early age of 5. I went to an airshow with my parents in the North West of England and from then on I was hooked.
I went through school keeping my head down and trying to get the grades required. Like most school teachers and career advisers, they told me that I would never be a pilot whether it be the airlines or the RAF. They said I was not clever enough nor did I have the ability. I completed my G.C.S.Es and then at 16 I left and went to another school to complete my A-Levels. I worked part time from the age of 15 at a Liverpool flying school to enable me to get some cash together to pay for my PPL. I worked weekends washing aircraft and brushing hanger floors, trying to get to know people and find out what was required to get my PPL.

I didn't get the grades I wanted for my A-Levels but I had enough to study for a HND in Business and Finance. For 2 years whilst I was studying I worked and held down 3 part-time jobs, one of them in operations at a Liverpool Airline. This helped pay for my PPL and hour building. After the HND I started my degree in Business Studies, this enabled me to get some stability if my flying career didn't come off and knowledge of how to raise a substantial amount of cash for my training. I applied to the RAF and got to Cranwell, but like most I didn't get selected, however it was due to asthma. 6 months later it came to light I didn't have asthma afterall, they got my file mixed up and I was allowed to reapply. With my dreams shattered, I had already decided to follow the airline route. At the age of 22 I graduated from University and went off to study for my ATPLs. They were tough and after a few resits I finally got them all without having to go into the JAR system (just). With the ATPLs and Perf A passed, I started on the road to the CPL/IR and borrowed a substantial amount of cash from the HSBC and Barclays to pay for it.

I got a job as an Operations Manager at a flight training company to help with the finances and get back into the industry once more. After being sucked in I decided to pay for an approved CPL/IR with them (big mistake).
The company nearly went bust due to problems with the directors, taking my life savings together with the money I borrowed from the bank, and my career with it.
Fortunately, after lots of political wrangling with instructors not being paid and walking out, and the suspention of training the company didn't fold and I was able to finish my IR after what turned into an 8 MONTH approved course. I now only have 7 hours left on the CPL to do and hopefully that won't take me long.

The end result is that I've always wanted to be a pilot and will not let anything get in my way of my dream. My life has been on hold for years now and my friends wonder why I sacrifice things for my goal. Some understand, some don't, however most can't comprehend how far I've come and how much of a personal and financial cost I have beared. I'm now 24 I hope that soon the rollercoaster ride will finally come to an end and a CPL/IR and a job firmly in my grasp.

In reality I know that as one rollercoaster ride finishes, another one starts. The new ride is called the Job Hunt. I just hope that this new ride starts and stops very soon.

To all those whos footsteps I have followed, I Thank You. To all those who follow mine, GOOD LUCK.

Best regards
Homer ;)

(edited for smilies)

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

[This message has been edited by HomerSimpson (edited 15 May 2001).]

NORDIC
16th May 2001, 00:17
At the age of four, I walked off a 737-200 of Britannia Airways after a flightdeck visit with my mother. My career was from then on set to be in aviation, and since it has never been drawn away from this industry.

At 13, I decided that I wanted to first gain a Command, and then go on to work in either training, or management. I decided that I had so many things that I wanted to do in the industry, that I would always regret it if I did not do them ALL. So my aim to do them all began then.

Joined the Air Training Corps at 13, and became CWO at 18, Training coordinator also.

Was offered a place, after studying Science A Levels, at Durham, to study Physics, which I turned down. The reason for this was that my first aim came to fruition.

I was offered a job as a despatcher for a ground handling agent, which I did for a year, working with over 40 airlines.

I was then offered a job with another handling agent working for British Airways, and several other carriers in despatch which I took, to widen my experience. Did my load control courses, and proceeded to do that for another year.

Funds were then granted to do my Frozen ATPL, which I started, and then successfully completed.

On returning from doing my licence, I did the FIC course, at the same time as returning to despatch, to keep the funds coming in, and because I loved the job...

On completing the FIC course, and starting to instruct part time (2 days per week) I left despatch, and have gained a position with a charter airline as Cabin crew (it works out at three days per week), which again, I love equally to despatch.

My hours are now building, and I am enjoying what I do. Instructing people with the same ambition as myself, is such a buzz, and something I would like to do in an airline. Applications to airlines are now in place, and the next step is the flightdeck.

I can honestly say, that the work I have done over the past four years, has given me such an insight into this industry, that I would never have wanted to have missed.

The people I have worked with all know my intentions, and have been supportive in every way....I thank them for all of their good advice, and references.

I will be starting to study for the MSc Air Transport Management distance learning once I gain a position on the flightdeck, and am settled into it.

I am 21 years old at the minute, and will try my dammed hardest to make this year the year in which I sit in that right hand seat.

If not.....determination keeps you going, and I have two jobs which to me are the best that I could be doing until I fulfill my aim in life....to fly a Boeing 757.

Cheers,

NORDIC :)

[This message has been edited by NORDIC (edited 15 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by NORDIC (edited 15 May 2001).]

hassel
16th May 2001, 00:32
In 1965 I flew to Sierra Leonne in a Bristol Britania (whispering giant). Captain let me take control (I was 11 years old). They did that sort of thing then (and some Russians later) must have been infected.

Mr moto
16th May 2001, 00:50
Since I found out what an aeroplane was, I'd known what I would do. Dedicated my whole life to it and still get the buzz. Rarely think about anything else!

They'll see your enthusiasm.

Just don't tell them "Too lazy to work, too honest to steal!"
Thats how it feels when you get there.