View Full Version : Two French Mirage F1 pilots killed in mid-air at Reims

Bre901
10th Mar 2003, 20:24
Two Mirage F1 of air base 112 at Reims (eastern France) collided Monday morning March 10 during a low altitude formation training flight. One plane crashed at the end of the runway, the other one in a nearby field .

None of the pilots managed to eject and both were killed. The FDR's have been recovered

Both pilots were flight instructors, aged 31 and 32.

RIP.

blaireau
29th Nov 2003, 15:56
I read this just now!

hairyclameater
1st Dec 2003, 04:12
I know that this is old news and you probably all know this already, but just in case....

The 2 F1s were'nt on an everyday training flight, they were the "Voltige Victor" display duo who flew a superb close formation routine for which they have received several awards. Hence them not being on the display scene this year, a double tragedy as it was the F1Cs last year in service with the French AF.

Sadly missed and indeed, RIP

G-KEST
4th Dec 2003, 00:10
What a tragedy. Sincere condolences to their families.

They gave us all some fantastic displays in past years but the earth is hard indeed.

I have often said the art of display flying is to make the easy look difficult, the difficult impossible and to leave the impossible to, in my opinion, the Frecce Tricolori.

We all need to remember that display flying is not really conducive to longivity if one tries to give 100%. Most in the crowd think 85% is fantastic.

Flatus Veteranus
4th Dec 2003, 02:04
If, as I suspect, they were the pair I watched performing while sitting in a traffic jam trying to get into Fairford for the 2002 RIAT, they had my total admiration. They were flying so tight that there seemed to be no margin for error or unexpected turbulence - let alone for hitting heir own wake. I thought at the time they were pushing their luck, and presumably it ran out. Such panache! Hats off, and condolences to their families. :(

hairyclameater
4th Dec 2003, 05:48
They were indeed at Fairford 2002 and I cant think of another duo that flew like they did. I loved 'em, probably because I'm a big fan of the F1 any way - such a sexy beast.

The French seem to have a knack of flying very close 2 ships or "bravo" displays as they call them. Mirage IIIs, Vs , F1s, Crusaders and Jaguars (surely a complete dog to fly in such a manner- especially the under powered E models)have all performed thus.
The knock on effect of the loss of Voltige Victor is the almost complete absence of the Raffin Mike Jag pair this year.Again a tregedy as the French are about to retire the Jag from service, and so we wont see much more of them.

I enjoy solo F16s, 18s, Mirage 2000s, Tornados etc etc but pairs displays add a certain umph and visual impact to the display scene.Dont know if we will see another as the '2000 and presumably at a later date Rafale lend themselves to solo displays only.Have to wait 'n see!