PDA

View Full Version : Posting Pic's

CamelPilot
10th Mar 2003, 09:05
Sorry, I have to put me mods hat on. Right!

Mr Grubby

Great though your pics are - they are taking up too much bandwidth. You need to downsize them to something like 600x460.

We try not to dis-courage people from putting their pictures on PPRuNe but they do take a fair chunk of bandwidth. Small is beautiful - well 600x460 is acceptable.

Hat off. Damn! Missed the peg!

CP

Mr_Grubby
10th Mar 2003, 09:33
CP

Yes, I thought I might be over doing it.

I am sorry.

Regards
Clint.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Mar 2003, 10:10
Standard VGA filesize is 640x480.

Worthy of mention also that if you turn up the VGA compression on your picture editor software to around 50% (on my elderly copy of Paintshop the default is 15% compression, increasing that to 50% reduces the filesize to about 10% of the original) the file sizes reduce radically whilst you really have to try very hard to see any loss of quality.

G

treadigraph
10th Mar 2003, 11:53
Hurrah! CamelPilot did some modding!

Seriosuly, still great pics though Grubby, particularly that Frnech jobbie - never heard of it before...

The other good think about keeping the pixel size down is that the images - hopefully - will fit within the screen size so that all subsequent text can be read without scrolling right and left. And both my monitors are set at 1024 x 768!

I use PhotoShop all the time which does a very nice automated reduction to web-friendly size.

Anyone who would like to send me pics for downsizing (PPRuNeing?), and cleaning up if required, are welcome to do so, it would cheer up my lunch-times no end to do some real work...! Send me an email...

Regards,

Treadders

CamelPilot
10th Mar 2003, 21:47
Treadders

I use PhotoShop all the time which does a very nice automated reduction to web-friendly size.

It does?!

Like to point me in the right direction please. I have PS 6.6 and 7 and would most grateful. I am a bit lost in the guts of PS I have to say. Just don't seem to have the time to digest the nitty gritty.

I await your kind assistance.

CP

treadigraph
11th Mar 2003, 08:05
My pleasure CP...

Reduce the file to the required pixel size, say 640 x 480.

Then use "save for web" command in the "file" menu - or "alt + ctrl + shift + S" is the shortcut. I can just about get the four fingers of my left hand on to all those keys at once, I was never a potential pianist, surgeon or seamstress!

Once in the "save for web" window you have a number of options for setting quality, file type, etc.

I also use the "file, automate, batch" process in conjunction with "actions" (which is a macro and allows you to record a series of commands) to automatically reduce photos to the required size -we use three, large medium and web - and then save them with appropriate compression. Still have to go into each one and trim, straighten and check the colour mind, you!

If you want more info, or any other questions about Photoshop (I have v6.5 at work and, ahem!, v7 at home!), please do email me. On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I am about level 5 or 6 as a user!

Hope this helps,

Treadders

CamelPilot
12th Mar 2003, 08:50
Treadders

Thank you kindly. I followed you well. Still have a couple of questions though and would be grateful if we can e-mail.

CP

treadigraph
12th Mar 2003, 12:11
CP - sent you a private message...

Looking at your "from", you musty live pretty close to me!

Cheers

Treadders

BOAC
15th Mar 2003, 22:13
Camel - excuse my chipping in here, but for Mr_Grubby, compare

Image deleted to save server space with yours above. This one has been reduced in size and in jpg 'density' (I used Macromedia Fireworks). The file size is now 6.647kb instead of yours at 34.616kb.

Not QUITE as sharp, and smaller, but much easier on the server?

BOAC
16th Mar 2003, 16:43
Mr G - the property in JPEG is more correctly called 'compression' I think. My copy of PShop (5) does not have the function, but Fireworks does. In FW, there is a slider which governs the JPEG compression and 'compressing' reduces file size: you can compress quite a long way before you lose significant quality and you can always let people know where they can see the full quality piccy if you wish. As you have seen, reducing the image size also makes the bytes less.

For more info on JPEG compression try here (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part1/)

PS To save Danny's server space, I would like to remove the image from my post if you have no need for it

Mr_Grubby
16th Mar 2003, 17:18
BOAC.

Thanks for the help. I think I am getting there.

I am just a simple retired NATS ATCO so have not been exposed to modern technology especially as I have spent the last 20 years at West Drayton.

I have removed my images.

Cheers.
C.

BOAC
16th Mar 2003, 17:55
"so have not been exposed to modern technology especially as I have spent the last 20 years at West Drayton" :O

No way an expert myself, Mr G, but learning too!

I've scrubbed my image, thanks.

CamelPilot
16th Mar 2003, 18:44
Mr Grubby

Errrrr.......I don't want you to scrub your pics. They are good pics. What I would like is for you to re-size them so that they fit in the current page.

I hate to think you might be offended. That is the last thing I want. Especially now I know you probably looked after me for so many years!! For which I thank you sir! :D

treadigraph
18th Mar 2003, 13:04
The density of an image is its resolution, ie 72 dpi (dots per inch) which is low and therefore lower quality and suitable for the web, or 600dpi which is high quality and suitable for printing.

With JPGs you can specify the compression of the image - high compression results in a smaller file size, but the sharpness of the image is also reduced. PhotoShop allows you to compress between 0 (high compression/low quality) and 12 (low compression/high quality)

Compression is affected by the amount of detail in the pic, ie an aircraft shot against a clear sky will compress quite well.

Colour depth also affects the size...

Roland Pulfrew
19th Mar 2003, 09:27
Chaps

Help! I am sure that this question has been asked elsewhere on Pprune but I can't find it in the archives. How do you insert a picture into a message? I have tried using the IMG button on the toolbar but I can't get it to work properly.

Does the picture have to be on a website first or can I post a picture from my hard drive? I wanted to post a picture on the VC10 thread following Mr Grubby's EAA VC10.

Any help gratefully appreciated!! :confused: :confused:

Spot 4
19th Mar 2003, 09:39
1) Save the photo on a website, either your own homepage or one of the many hosting services such as yahoo.

2) Once it is there, right click on the image and click on properties. Highlight and `copy` the image address.

3)Write your pprune message, click on `IMG` and paste the image address therein.

4) jobs a guddun:D