PDA

View Full Version : Cuba - Yes - L1011 Tristar

Sensible
9th Mar 2003, 17:28
Just back from Cuba, interesting flight, I understoood that the aircraft for the flight flight was to be a DC-10. In the event it was a Lockheed Tristar L1011-500 operated by Yes/Air Portugal. In spite of the age of the aircraft, there were only a few broken seat armrests!!

Strange things though! We had the same crew and aircraft out and back. On the flight out, smoking was permitted in the rear of the aircraft in about the last six rows, but on the way back it was a non smoking flight! Two of the toilets were used to store bags of rubbish which confused many passengers because those toilets were not maked as out of use. The crew were a little sloppy too, very entertaining safety briefing yhough, more like a cabaret act but crew did not check or notice that I had failed to fasten my seat belt at all before the take off. On the way back, I deliberately left my belt unfastened, again no check was made and so I fastened it during the take off roll again. I looked for the safety card and found that there was none in my seat pocket.

Very very strange thing though, the aircraft flew the entire journey with the left wing noticeably low, at a guess I would say 5 degrees which was confirmed by placing a can of drink on it's side on the galley worktop and watching it rapidy accelerate to the port side. Does anybody know how that could be? The aircraft appeared to fly normally on the return leg althoughI didn't try the can test.

As I was flying with a Cuban friend, the direct flight LGW-HAV saved the alternative Visa applications and the price was only £399 plus tax and visa for me. You gets what you pays for and I am satisfied that I got what I paid for. I will fly Cubana again unless I can buy charter flight only into Varadero which would be closer to my final destination.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get flight only LGW-VAR ? I am extremely flexible and am prepared to fly standby if there is such a thing!

The African Dude
14th Mar 2003, 13:29
that is bloody scary!

expedite_climb
14th Mar 2003, 14:26
Yeh - one engine producing more thrust than the other and the crew not balancing it out, or if erroroneous rudder trim was used, the automatics would use roll to counter this.

As AD says, bloody scary - I wouldnt fly when i saw the a/c from outside, and definately wont now !! Think of all those people not strapped in, and not knowing what to do in an accident ? Lethal.