PDA

View Full Version : FS2002 - Graphics Hardware Acceleration

CorvusCorax
9th Mar 2003, 15:51
I am trying to run FS2002 but get a message saying that my graphics card does not support hardware acceleration and causes PC to run FS2002 IN "SAFE MODE".

It flies, but I get strange graphics glitches and what looks like rods flashing out of the aircraft.

The graphics card is an ATI Radeon 32MB and it implies that it offers hardware acceleration in it's setup screens. The PC shows that the ATI graphics is recognised installed hardware. Can anyone advise some options to try?

The PC is not top end spec but has way beyond the minimums required by FS2002.

Cheers!

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
10th Mar 2003, 23:10
Hi, sounds like a driver problem, my first suggestion would be to head to the ATI website and download the latest driver for your card. However some additional information might help the diagnosis.
What Operating system are you running ??
How much ram does your system have and what type??
Is your card a PCI or AGP card??
Try the new driver first and then respond.
Typical Microsoft, I'm running a P4 2.53 Ghz Cpu , a gig of pc1066rdram and a GeForce 4 ti4600 128 meg card and best i can get is 35 frames per sec , microsoft limited I'm told. Still best 35 dollars I ever spent was on a force feedback stick highly recommended for fs2002 !!!!

Sincerely:

Seemingy Random

timmcat
11th Mar 2003, 09:17
Captain,

My system, P4 2.53, 512mb DDR, and a lowly Nvidia MX420. ALL graphics options hard over to the right, all check boxes checked, and I'm getting (depending on the scenery etc.) minimum 30, average 45 to 60, max well over 100 fps.

There is a voluntary restriction on frame rate in preferences, have you got this enabled?

Tim

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
11th Mar 2003, 12:17
Hi !

Well....The FPS slider in the setup menu won't allow me to exceed 35 frames per second with it hard right, I like you have all settings set to max, includig the " Target Frames per second " but like I say it maxes out at 35, so if you know a way I can get more fps, let me know.
I get 200 frames per second in every other program I run but nothing over 35 for FS2002:(

Cheers. Slappy.

VivaTheBeaver
11th Mar 2003, 12:58
I had exactly the same problem last week day. I got the new drivers for my Matrox 3d Blaster 64mb but it didn't make any difference. So then I changed the resolution to the next step up, and the hardware acceleration check box became available. I think it was on 800*600 and I went up to 1024 * ???? don't know why but it did the trick.

Hope this helps

VTB

BlueRobin
12th Mar 2003, 15:56
Had this on a PC at work with an ATI card. ATI drivers are a pain in the bum to find on the website, download and install :*

AngleAndAttack
12th Mar 2003, 18:51
With regards to driver issues,I find this site very informative:

http://www.guru3d.com/

A&A

tony draper
13th Mar 2003, 12:01
A few years back graphics could be a nightmare, I had two Diamond Monster accelerators as well as a Matrox Mystique graphic card in the machine,at one time, some flight sims supported 3dfx some direct x some Voodoo drivers, from your description of your card it must support hardware acceleration,it does indeed sound like a driver problem , as suggested download the latest drivers, also might pay you to look at what version of direct x you are running.
I do not have fs2002, but is there a setup page? might be you have "use software acceleration" highlighted.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Mar 2003, 12:47
I am rather surprised that no-one has mentioned DirectX. It is vital that you have that and there is a new one out DirectX 9. Sometimes DX gets loaded with the card but ATI have not been at their best in doing that previously.

This will save you the looksee.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp

AngleAndAttack
13th Mar 2003, 14:01
I don`t know if you are interested, but I often visit this site:

http://www.frugalsworld.com/

Apart from Simulator related articles,you can go to the forum pages to find useful information.

The members ranges from hardcore simmers to novice level.
Even sim designers are visiting.
If you have any question with regards to hardware- or driver issues, there will always be someone who answers your question.

A&A

:)

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
14th Mar 2003, 12:07
Hi !:)

Reinstalled FS2002, reinstalled nVidia drivers, played with the resolution in the hardware settings of FS2002 and low and behold am now able to exceed 35 fps on the slider, will now goto 100 fps in the menu and my card will run right around 70 to 100 depending on scenery with all sliders maxed, not sure what the problem was but reinstalling FS2002 and drivers fixed the framerate stuck at 35 max.
Next question: Anyone know if there's a patch for FS2002 that fixes the ' Antialiasing ' bug ? allowing the full capabilities if my card to be brought to bear ?????

Cheers: Slappy !!:}

AngleAndAttack
14th Mar 2003, 12:39
Slappy,

You could have a go with this thread:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33911&highlight=antialiasing

Some discussion and links with regards to Antialiasing.

A&A
:)