PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...

nav attacking
27th Aug 2001, 02:03
As an RAF Navigator with some 4500 hrs of Multi-engine navigating (Maritime and Transport), a Flying Scholarship (30 hrs single some 20 yrs ago) and some recent gliding experience (including solo) I now find myself considering re-training as a member of the winged master-race. Unfortunately the RAF has started to hack me off and with 2 yrs left I am beginning to believe that I should jump ship at 40 yrs old and use my gratuity to pay for licences etc. Luckily I have a very good and very reasonably priced Flying Club at hand so I can easily get to Single Engine PPL standard and some way beyond before I actually leave the Service.

Any tips from anyone of similar age or background would be welcome.

Any gen on the route to follow, what to do when etc would also be appreciated as I have only just started to consider my options.

Also, are there many oportunities for newly qualified 40 somethings, albeit with a lot of Airmanship hours?

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: nav attacking ]

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: nav attacking ]

beam me up
27th Aug 2001, 02:46
Hi nav attacking,

Yes I would definitely go for it. There are many threads on the subject if you're willing to spend time researching. I am in a similar position although a little younger. I am curious to your identity, would you be from the sqn the furthest on the left?

seetheworld
28th Aug 2001, 01:37
Nav attacking,
As above a little younger than you at 30 but i have just managed to get a sponsorship with BMI. I am also a dark blue navigator but that aside from the interviews i had the airlines view your experience in a positive light. I know of several other navy navs who have recently completed modular training courses with oxford. Dont know how they are getting on finding jobs but i will try to find out.

Lucifer
28th Aug 2001, 14:26
May want to ask BA, since they have retrained some of their own engineers to be pilots at 40+. Also graduates of Oxford Air Training School/ BAE at Jerez etc can get interviews at BA after paying for own training and this age limit might be flexible. Worth a try.

Viggen
28th Aug 2001, 17:56
Seetheworld.... interested in your comment about BMI sponsorship - I'll be 30 in November, am about 12 hours into my PPL, and wondering about the best route to attaining an ATPL and a flying job - would be interested to know if BMI accept 30's as the norm, and how you got around this if not!
You can email me if you wish (email should be in my profile button).