PDA

View Full Version : Germany does not want low-cost carriers ...

Squawk7777
9th Mar 2003, 03:12
This is getting absolutely pathetic!

Story (http://www.tagesschau.de/aktuell/meldungen/0,2044,OID1616612,00.html) (in German)

Basically, the German environmental MP Mr. Trittin wants to cut down on low-cost carriers. Reducing tax advantages and other financial funding to introducing VAT on flight tickets and an introduction to adding taxation on aviation fuel are in the works. According to Mr. Trittin :yuk: the German railway has suffered a dramatic decrease in pax travel. Interestingly, Mr. Franz, CEO of the German railroad blamed the bad economy and internal difficulties for a 7% decrease according to "Der Spiegel". Low cost carriers increase the competition so Mr. Franz.

I love nature and people, maybe not my neighbors but I hate being told by a government what means of transportation I have to use. It proves again that Germany's generation of 68 are nothing but disguised despots!

WestWind1950
9th Mar 2003, 04:58
Don't go putting all Germans in one basket! Trittin is an environmentalist and thinks like one! He also wanted all legislation pertaining to aircraft noise taken from the transportation ministry transfered to his environment ministry. Imagine what would happen then!!! All general aviation would come to a standstill! But, when I see how the governing parties SPD and Greens keeps loosing support, it may not be long before they get kicked out!

I just hope the German AOPA and other organisations can finally get their act together. Unfortunately the aviation lobby is too small.

hopefully we can keep flying!!

WestWind1950

FoxRomeo
9th Mar 2003, 08:23
Every once in a while we have those scary stories coming up. But as mentioned above Trittin is an environmentalist and his existance has to be justified. After all, every single politician is living for his reelection. There are a number of things this red-green government has not quite thought to the end. Just a few weeks ago this government decided on a worldwide (!) ban of cloning. Who do they think they are. In an field as international as aviation I see little chance anything will happen unless at least all of Europe can agree on a common approach. After all we are a nation of Besitzstandswahrer (people sticking to the status quo).

Ok, the Deutsche Bahn is having a tough time. Our government on the other hand is trying to solve the problem starting at the wrong end. It won't work but it's good for the news anytime.

FR

JB007
9th Mar 2003, 12:17
Wonder what he thinks about easyJet buying DBA then!???:D

zed3
9th Mar 2003, 12:19
.....and later this will be our probelm because it will be a European regulation , of which the UK is a member. It's all done by manipulation. VAT on air tickets will also likewise arrive on The Island under a health or congestion guise. Be warned.

Jetstream Rider
10th Mar 2003, 12:34
Where did my post go? Don't think I said anything controversial or offensive? Apologies if I did.

J-R :confused:

DBate
11th Mar 2003, 13:21
Just keep in mind: Adding VAT on flight tickets and taxation of aviation fuel would not only hit the low-cost carriers in Germany, but also others.

So with his efforts Mr. Trittin is not only aiming at the low-cost carriers, but at every airline operating in Germany!

RadarContact
11th Mar 2003, 16:12
Subsidizing the new (stupid) price policy of germany's national railway by raising taxes on (successfully) competing means of transportation is exactly the sort of smart idea Mr. Trittin has come up with so often recently...

While I do support quite some achievements of the green party in germany, this guy should have been made minister for eccentric statements - or greenly Minister perhaps?

Tcas climb
11th Mar 2003, 16:57
He is copying the Danes! We have paid severe taxes on domestic flights and the money has gone right into the railroad moneybox. :*

Kerosene Kraut
12th Mar 2003, 09:20
If Mr. Trittin (minister for the environment, green party) intends to help the german railways he'd better make them rethink their new pricing concept. If everybody needs to book fixed times on railways he can easily pick some flight instead and hunt for a bargain ride. This is why many rail pax divert to flying.
Railway pax want flexibility and lower prices. Problem is not lowcost air pricing itself.
Anyway Jürgen being the minister himself is entitled to use the famous Flugbereitschaft of the Air Force for free anytime.

Send Clowns
12th Mar 2003, 22:06
Unilateral taxation on an international business will just damage that nation's carriers. Even if the tax is applied to all flights in and out all foreign airlines only suffer the tax to a small percentage of flights. With margins so tight in aviation this would break the local airlines.

Any sizeable tax on Jet-A1 will simply drive the longhaul fleets to land in hubs in other countries and the shorthaul to tanker fuel, thus increasing fuel burns overall :rolleyes: