PDA

View Full Version : FLight schools up north for CPL/IR

OBK!
8th Mar 2003, 20:21
As far as I know there is just Multiflight and LFS....any others that are "decent"? I have done plenty of research, and there just seems to be a lack of options for us farmers.:*

Diamond 'katana' geezer
9th Mar 2003, 00:19
LFS everytime...i'm just a lowly PPL at the mo, but they have a saying at LFS after the old Yorkshire aero club disbanded. "they(multi-flight) took the building, we've got the sprirt/soul" they couldn't be more right.

[email protected]

DB6
9th Mar 2003, 07:30
By 'up North' I assume you mean our neck of the woods. If you go further North you've got Tayside Aviation for the CPL and Tayflite for the multi IR, both at Perth.
There is a possibility of something happening at Church Fenton but it's tenuous at the moment :ok:

sk8erboi
9th Mar 2003, 07:39
I had heard the opposite. LFS not too hot, multiflight more professional. That came from a friend who did IR at LFS. Don't take it as gospel but i have a feeling ravenair at LPL do it too.

Capt BK
9th Mar 2003, 10:03
Apart from those already mentioned there is also Triple A and Humber Flying Club at humberside.

Never been to either of them so have no actual expeience i'm afraid although a search of AAA gets a few positive comments.

Im going to start visiting schools in the next month or so, so please post back your initial views when you have a look around.

Speed Twelve
9th Mar 2003, 11:26
Did my (non-approved) UK IR at LFS last year. Flew 18 hours in the twin before passing, including a multi-rating, so there can't be much wrong with the quality of instruction.

The sim is an exact replica of the test aircraft (Cougar) down to every cockpit detail, and having CAAFU on site is an advantage. On the negative side there was only really one aircraft available at the time and it was tits-up almost constantly, but I think LFS have sorted this out and have two aeroplanes available.

Relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff at LFS as well. Multiflight looks more impressive as you walk in the door, but I can't comment further as I haven't flown there.

ST

JB007
9th Mar 2003, 11:52
Take a serious look at Triple A at HUY...the quality of instruction and aircraft is superb....

aces low
9th Mar 2003, 14:38
Can confirm quality and professionalism of Leeds Flying School, as I have done my CPL/IR and FI with them. Only downsides are Leeds weather (my IR took three months this winter) and not enough aircraft availability at times. It is good value and friendly...

Flypuppy
9th Mar 2003, 15:17
I did my CPL/ME at Triple A (http://www.tripleaflying.co.uk/CONTACT.HTM) and can back up what JB007 says about them.

niknak
9th Mar 2003, 16:04
Triple A at Humberside.
Not cheap, and they don't suffer time wasters, but very high quality instruction and very successful pass rates.
Good luck. :D

AltHold
9th Mar 2003, 16:33
Ravenair at Liverpool do the CPL/IR on the Aztec.

Ask for Jon Williams.

KitKatPacificuk
9th Mar 2003, 23:13
Leeds Flying school get my vote. Get hold of Kevin Rowell, Was ready for test in a week and a half on the training as required last year. Weather wasn't a problem really. Good to fly in the proper stuff.

Northern Highflyer
10th Mar 2003, 10:28
I am also considering Leeds FS, Multiflight or triple A but am undecided as yet.

Have heard varying opinions on all 3.

OBK - I would be interested to know how you get on as I fly from Sherburn too.

Cricketer
10th Mar 2003, 10:56
What about at PIK? Have they got test facilities and what are the clubs like?

Seymour Cleavage
10th Mar 2003, 11:57
I did my I.R with them and a few instructor upgrades and they were willing to tailor my courses to my needs and time frame.

Leeds flying school are IMHO the premiere school at the LBA with an excellent reputation country wide, they have an expanding fleet (soon to be 3 twins) a customer orientated, friendly atmosphere, a modern sim, the ground breaking Bsc(Aviation Tech)course in partnership with Leeds Uni.

What more could you want?

DiverDriver
10th Mar 2003, 12:19
For the sake of completeness there are also 2 licensed outfits at Blackpool both offering modular CPL and IR courses - Comed Aviation and Pool Aviation. Cant comment on the IR but did my CPL at Comed who were flexible enough for me to complete the CPL part-time. In addition there are no less that 3 examiners on site and 9 times out of 10 the weather is not flyable at Leeds it will be ok at BPL - just a thought. DD

captainkilner
12th Mar 2003, 10:05
There was 2 choices for me simply because i'm local when i was enquiring about my CPL/IR : Leeds flying school and Multi flight.

I have to say that when i spoke to Multi flight i got a very frosty and unhelpful receptionist.

I then spoke to Leeds Flying school who was totally the opposite, more than helpful and gave me all the information i needed. My mind was made up the moment i was off the phone.

I'm now 2 weeks into my CPL at Leeds flying school and am not disappointed i chose them.

The instructors have been fantastic and only the weather has put a dampener on the first week.

We all sit down and have a beer when the school closes , with the beer provided by the students who have just passed there CPL/IR (needless to say there's never a shortage of beer in the fridge !!! :D )

So if your looking for a good school with good instructors and want a friendly atmosphere then Leeds flying school is the place to be.:O

bolt
12th Mar 2003, 11:28
I passed my CPL and IR first time with multiflight (in minimum hours) as have a number of my fellow students. I found they were very professional and the school well equiped. More importantly to me I enjoyed my training and had a laugh at the same time.

Hey guys you pay your money and you take your choice! :cool:

mad_jock
12th Mar 2003, 17:56
I am another happy customer from LFS.

The Internet at LFS is a dumb station situated in the common area which anyone can use.

I must admit i had alook at both Multiflight and Leeds before going to Leeds.

While there it was very apparent that there is alot of politics at Leeds airport between the 2 schools. Which it seems has reared its ugly head on this thread. You must be flying to much again LFS.

As people have said above go and see them both, don't phone and let them know your coming just turn up and see the difference in reception.

I had a great time while there and managed to get CPL/IR/MEP and FI done in 3 months. And while there if there was training required at the weekend there was no discussion Kevin offered to do it. And you get free solo sim time if you on a course (this might have changed since last year though)

MJ

Thanks to whoever deleted the mud slinging. Who ever it was posted from multiflight I hope you got a bollocking for that from the CFI. You proberly lost more customers with that outburst than you would have if you had let things be.

scroggs
12th Mar 2003, 18:26
You will notice that this thread has been significantly censored by me. A number of insulting and childish posts have been removed, and others edited to remove provocative statements, and names and telephone numbers.

Keep your discussions friendly and to the point. If you can't mention the school you favour without putting down any or all others, then don't post. If you, personally, have had a bad experience with a school by all means tell us your story, but be prepared to identify yourself to us if we believe that your post is overly contentious.

I won't tolerate school staff, pretending to be students, talking up their own school while making derogatory comments about others. If I discover anyone trying this, they will be banned from Pprune entirely.

Keep it clean.

Scroggs
Wannabes/Virgin Moderator
[email protected]

duir
12th Mar 2003, 18:45
I recently looked at LBA to train as I am Cumbria based it seemed a good choice and any decent Northern Training Outfits should be encouraged.
LFS and Multi-Flight the only 2 contenders I felt for my location.
Multi-Flight - Very proffessional set up. Very helpful on phone. Very well maintained fleet. Obviously a big well funded organisation. Very Freindly even during my second visit and tour.
LFS - Totally different approach. Very very freindly. Very good Aircraft. Seemed to be very person oriented. A bit less formal than MF. Lovely homely hut base a mile or so from Airport. Very good value for money(25 hours on twin for IR and free solo sim).
Conclusion - both equally good in own way. Won''t make a final decision till after ATPLs.
Do a personal visit and make your own bloody mind up!

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Mar 2003, 14:20
It would appear here that there are staff of two fto's at the same airfield embroiling themselves in sniping at one anothers companies. This is causing distress and complaints have been made.

Let me say that LFS and Multiflight are both respectable FTO's with a list of satisfied customers.

Partisan stirring is not welcome here as it is not helpful to Johnny Wannabe.

Kindest Regards

Northern Highflyer
13th Mar 2003, 14:31
I am also considering MF and LFS but not deciding for a while yet.

MF literature and website both look very professional but my first call got me through to one of the instructors. I enquired about doing some of the training at weekends as I work full time but intend to go part time during training. The initial comment I got was that I wouldn't be able to do it if I was working even though I suggested I could do maybe wed - thu - fri - sat and possibly sun. This was a bit disheartening as for a while I believed I couldn't do it without resigning from my job :(

LFS were more helpful and said I could still do it the way I proposed. I contacted MF again and spoke to a different person who then said it shouldn't be a problem if they had an instructor willing to do weekends (as they have at the moment)
A bit concerning when different people give different answers. I base my choice on quality of service, not just price, and conflicting views by 2 people at the same place doesn't encourage me to choose them.

Am still confused and still undecided :confused:

A visit is definitely on the cards some time in the future.
Have also looked at Triple A but don't have much info on them yet although the bit I have had is positive.

HON
13th Mar 2003, 15:54
I too recomend Leeds Flying School. Never done any training from there but always heard good reports. Good aircraft too. A honist school and a good bunch,operating from a nice airport.

monkeyboy
13th Mar 2003, 16:47
Having recently moved up from the LTN area to the LBA area I started to look for somewhere to keep current and also for somewhere to do my CPL/IR - although I didn't mention that at the time - and MF and LFS were the two obvious choices...so I decided to pay an impromptu visit:

MF: Lots of staff, looked very professional, friendly-ish instructor who answered all of my questions but I couldn't help but feel that I was interrupting his routine. Came out honestly feeling as if I was just another Joe Bloggs. Sorry guys. I know it may have been a bad time but first impressions count.

LFS: Was pre-warned on pprune about the portacabin but I didn't let that put me off. Walked in, explained my situation and within 2 mins I was being made a coffee by one of the main men (Tony) and we were sitting down chatting about where I was upto, training-wise and what I was planning, training-wise. [As duir said - very, very friendly. :D] And when I asked about the infamous weather at LBA I got an honest answer - not quite the same answer that I got at MF. (tut tut, boys) Half an hour later, I left with a good feeling about the place.

Before visiting LFS, I was 90% sure that I was going to do my CPL in the States with OATS, but now I'm 90% leaning towards LFS for both the CPL and IR.

Capt BK
13th Mar 2003, 20:40
MB

Good to see you've seen sense and become a northerner:D :D The airspace isn't quite as crowded up here but the beer is nicer:D

Pilot Pete
13th Mar 2003, 21:57
Also worth a call/look is St. George Flying Club at Teesside. Eric Read is the CFI and he does CPL and FI ratings.....not sure about I.R.s though.............................

PP

reido
13th Mar 2003, 23:11
capt BK - the beer is only good outside of cities...the south has far better real ales.....