PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home critical update 810565

FormerFlyer
8th Mar 2003, 15:33
I've got the box of tricks to automatically download and install any updates. Generally works fine except for the above one. It constantly fails to install it.

I've gone back through the installation history and can see that this has been going on since Dec 2002. The odd thing is that it installed OK (apparently) on the 19th of that month, then it started reporting as failed from the 21st of that month onwards.

I'm not sure what has caused this - anyone got any ideas?

I'm not even sure I really need this critical update.

cheers ;)

FF

Ronbmy
8th Mar 2003, 17:47
It could be that the registry needs tidying up.

Will it let you uninstall it?

If so then uninstall and turn your machine off for approx 15 mins. This will allow most of the caps to discharge so you get a fully clean boot at turn on.

Then try the update again.

Once you have done both items as above then you may find that being a Microcr@psoft os it still pi$$es you about. Had a Windoze98 machine do the same for a couple of months. Scrapped the os & put Linux on it.

:O

FormerFlyer
8th Mar 2003, 20:40
Thanks but it won't let me remove it AFAIK.

Anyone else got any ideas?

cheers ;)

FF

5711N0205W
10th Mar 2003, 11:37
You could try downloading it directly:

Direct Link (http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EDEAB3C7-22B9-4D77-B0A4-5B4BB4D12FF0&displaylang=en)

FWIW, this isn't a security fix, and probably doesn't matter to you unless
your preferred browser is not Internet Explorer.

FormerFlyer
10th Mar 2003, 20:31
Thanks but tried that too, to no avail :rolleyes:

Will just have to keep refusing any updates that include it now - bit of a pain really.

cheers ;)

FF

Terrain Ahead!
11th Mar 2003, 11:52
Have you tried www.windowsupdate.com

I had a similar problem until today - XP Pro, it kept downloading the same 3 updates and installing them every day.

I went to the windows update website and it scanned my system and offered my the XP service pack 1. A few hours later i think i've solved the problem...

FormerFlyer
11th Mar 2003, 21:47
Hi

Thanks for your suggestion but that too has been done! That autoupdate system basically goes to where you pointed me too!

I already have SP1 installed. Think I'll just leave it as the support from MS just isn't happening either :rolleyes:

cheers ;)

FF

CamelPilot
12th Mar 2003, 08:56
FF

Windows updates are often entirely unnecessary, and I beg the question "do you need this one?" I wouldn't bother myself unless you use Netscape, Opera or such.

You have SP1 and that is all you need maybe.