PDA

View Full Version : What should one wear to class 1 medical at LGW?

reido
8th Mar 2003, 11:12
Might sound a little silly, but should I stick on the old shirt and tie to go down for the medical- first impressions and all that. Is a suit required? Or, do you suggest a tracksuit? Be interested to hear your opinions.....

cheers

Brenoch
8th Mar 2003, 11:29
I certainly hope your health is unaffected regarless of what you are wearing..

Zlin526
8th Mar 2003, 11:36
Why not go wearing just a white towelling robe, 'cos thats what you'll be wearing whilst there.

Terrain Ahead!
8th Mar 2003, 14:56
Was tempted to be funny but i guess you want a serious answer.

Did mine 6 years ago, but when you arrive youll be given a white robe and asked to take top half off and wear the robe.

Unless you have asthma and expect to be made to exercise go in what you feel comfortable in.

threestable
8th Mar 2003, 15:01
Glasses. Worked for me!:cool:

TurboJ
8th Mar 2003, 16:07
Clean underpants !

:D :cool:

VFE
8th Mar 2003, 16:08
Very predictable replies...... :rolleyes:

To actually answer your question mate: just wear your normal casual clothes. No need to dress up or down on purpose.

Jeans, t-shirt and trainers did the job just fine for me.

VFE.

Hansard
8th Mar 2003, 18:33
Don't put anything like hair gel in your hair. The nurse told me that men are worse than women for ignoring this specific instruction. Hair gel, cream, etc. prevents the EEG wires from making a good connection. Likewise ditch all body lotions and potions or the ECG pads will slide all over the place.

dmdrewitt
8th Mar 2003, 20:06
I don't think trainers and jeans are appropriate for the CAA.

I would suggest trousers and well polished shoes. (this gives a good impression to the doctors and nurses). Then whatever you feel most comfortable in on your top half as it comes off within 2 mins of walking through the door (shirt, or shirt & tie, blazer / suite optional).

fdf
8th Mar 2003, 20:48
Wear what you feel comfortable in. There's no need for suit, shirt and tie, after all, you're paying them £400 to give you a medical examination - they're not interviewing you for a job.

Good luck.

brownstar
8th Mar 2003, 21:08
wear what ever you are comfortable, smart but casual or suit and tie, you'll soon be wearing a white robe. on the hearing test it is a good idea to hold your breath for the quiet tones in the booth !
wear anything that comes of without hassle.
when you ask where to put your clothes, if the doctor replies' next to mine!' then run for the hills !!

reido
8th Mar 2003, 22:54
Some hearty laughs out of those replies folks! Thank god I also got a few sensible ones!!!! I think I might wear a pair of trousers and shoes and just a lose shirt but no tie- you never know, if you look a bit scruffy and the doc is in a bad mood, might just decide you're a scrote and give you a hard time....

Brenoch
9th Mar 2003, 02:26
dmdrewitt:

I don't think trainers and jeans are appropriate for the CAA

The man/woman is there to have a medical.. I would certainly hope that these people are professional enough to do a proper medical examination without you dressing up.

I would suggest trousers and well polished shoes. (this gives a good impression to the doctors and nurses).

My medical has always been issued on the basis of my medical state, not the way I was dressed when I walked through the door..

Regs

dmdrewitt
9th Mar 2003, 08:33
Brenoch

I disagree with you. The medical is part of a professional qualification.

It would be quite true to say that you could be the captain or F/O of a 747 in jeans and a t-shirt. You would fly the aeroplane JUST THE SAME, but it is generally accepted as a pilot that you are smart and have a professional appearance at all times.

Dave

Dakota Queen
9th Mar 2003, 13:58
All this fuss about what to wear!!! I was there last week trying for a class 2 - I've got an eyesight issue which will be escalated to the medical sub committee to see if they will approve me.

You cant say but I'm not sure that if I turned up in t shirt and trainers I would have got the same attention. You see I was depending on the good doctors to take me seriously enough to make a case for me to get the class 2. I wore jeans and an open shirt, smart casual I think they call it......

So if you think you have no medical issues it does'nt matter but I would always recommend dressing more formally if in doubt. While I was in the waiting area most of the guys were dressed smartly - even if they had those white robes on!!!

split throttle
9th Mar 2003, 13:59
Brenoch

Totally agree with you.

dmdrewitt

but it is generally accepted as a pilot that you are smart and have a profesional appearance at all times

Well i'm sorry, but you obviosly don't know many pilots!! If, as a professional pilot, you HAD to look professional at all times then I think most would have lost their jobs by now!

Give us a break!!!

Most important of all. Go to a medical feeling comfortable!! Who cares if you've got a scuff on your shoes or that you're wearing trainers...........oh, i forgot, dmdrewitt does! I hope he's not a doctor!!!!!!!!!!

jsf
9th Mar 2003, 14:34
dmdrewitt

If you think your attire at the class on medical has any bearing on whether it is issued then I seriously question your judgement and sincerely hope that you are NOT an AME. If you are, please let me know where you are in practice and I will avoid you like the plague for my renewal.

jsf

reido
9th Mar 2003, 22:07
Calm it down a bit!!! I think there is a lot of common sense in all the replies, however, I think that it doesn't do any harm to start off (as I will be doing) from day 1, on a career route that possibly takes a long time and commitment on having a professional approach in ALL aspects of the career path. That might sound a bit silly, and you're right- probably has no bearing, but it might just make me feel that I am taking the whole thing seriously- don't you agree??

Don't bite my head off!!!!

cheers

dmdrewitt
10th Mar 2003, 06:42
reido

I totally agree with you!

easyflyer
10th Mar 2003, 07:35
What a complete waste of bandwidth!

I only wish common sense was more prevalent.

reido
10th Mar 2003, 21:13
LOL !!! Nice one Easyflyer........

dmdrewitt
10th Mar 2003, 22:06
common sense says:

"dress smartly" (with polished shoes)

Brenoch
11th Mar 2003, 01:28
Oh, come on..

"dress smartly" (with polished shoes)

For a medical, yep, you are spot on.. "This chap's bloodpressure is way high, but I'll issue the medical cause his shoes where so shiny and he looked bloody smart.."

If thats how a JAR medical class 1 is issued I can't say I'm too impressed..

Dakota Queen
11th Mar 2003, 08:10
blah blah blah double blah

rocafellascunk
11th Mar 2003, 09:36
for what its worth I'll just add my tuppence.
Just remember to drink at least a pint of water before you go so that you don't have an empty bladder when it comes to giving your urine sample. ;)
Good luck and enjoy the day
R

mad_jock
11th Mar 2003, 09:38
As someone said clean pants are the order of the day.

The only things they seem to care about is.

a. Have you paid
b. Do you have your passport with you.

Then its kit off and round the stations

And after its all finished they do have a shower for the use of.

During the Brain activity test thingy (which is the most horrible test in the whole lot) they draw on your head and use a gel with what feels like sand through it to make the contacts with the electrodes. Much better to get it all away so your not scratching your head all day.

If it helps i went in Chinos and Causal shirt and shoes.

Good luck

MJ

topgundom
11th Mar 2003, 10:53
I wore my moomu. :cool:

VFE
11th Mar 2003, 11:21
Who do I listen to?

Brenoch, a 757 pilot with experience.....

or

dmdrewitt & Dakota Queen, two over opinionated eager wannabes keen to impress...... hmmmm...... now let me think! ;)

The thread matter may not be very serious but it does highlight a case of wannabes not willing to bow to experience and thinking they know it all before they've even started.

Let's hope they don't adopt the attitudes they've displayed here when they get to the flight deck..... for their sakes. :rolleyes:

VFE.

simonh11
11th Mar 2003, 11:52
I did my Class 1 about two weeks ago and got the all important piece of paper in the post yesterday. Wear whatever you are comfortable in. I went in jeans and trainers and at no point did I feel the docs and nurses were being unprofessional. Besides, white trainers go rather well with the dressing gowns ;)

If I could do the exam again, which I will in a year, I would be a bit more careful when driving in before the exam. I found that two hours in a car with loads of wind noise did my hearing no good at all. Only just scraped through the hearing test. Prehaps an ear plug in my right ear would have made things easier.

Simon

FREDA
11th Mar 2003, 12:15
i did my class one last week, jeans and trainers were fine, and having paid £400 for the service, i wouldnt expect to be told of a dress code so just go as you feel comfortable, no-one is judging you by how you look, just how you cope with high frequency strobes :yuk:
A question slightly off topic; does it always take roughly 2 weeks for the medical to come through? only ive got a place on a sponsored training scheme, dependant on this class 1, which im scheduled to be on in april and with lots of other sorting out to do in a very short time.

BoeingMEL
11th Mar 2003, 12:59
OK Reido.... it's time to own up old son... this is a wind-up isn't it? If on the other hand you are being serious, this is the most disturbing post I have read in Pprune in over 3 years. If you don't have the modicum of common sense necessary to work this out for yourself, how are you going to make some very serious decisions if you ever get an airline job? You were joking weren't you Reido... please tell me you were joking! Best wishes to all other wannabes....especially the ones who can get dressed without outside help! Jeez!

reido
11th Mar 2003, 17:35
LOL !!!! Christ Boeing you're right!!! What was I thinking of? I was probably bored and just wanted some attention on PRUNE. Thats it- I'm out of here....

Vlad the Impaler
11th Mar 2003, 17:49
A colleague of mine went for his ATCO class 1 a couple of years ago. When he got to the undressing to the waist and putting on the dressing gown, he misunderstood the nurse and stripped off completely. Felt a bit stupid in front of the girls in the waiting room !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they eventually made him go back and put his trousers on.

jsf
11th Mar 2003, 19:05
Mad_jock

>they draw on your head and use a gel with what feels like sand through it to make the contacts with the electrodes<

I thought they were drilling little holes to let all the little people that live in there breathe!

jsf

mad_jock
14th Mar 2003, 17:33
I would have though the test on Yorkshire folk would be to see if there is any brain activity at all.

Can't be much if you think tripe sarnies is acceptable lunch.

MJ

dmdrewitt
14th Mar 2003, 18:30
mad_jock

Was it not Yorkshire folk that got you through your CPL/IR??

mad_jock
14th Mar 2003, 19:02
It was a Gordie :D

And the rest were non tripe eaters

GARDENER
14th Mar 2003, 19:23
Hey MJ he really will take it badly being called a geordie- he's a MACKAM (unsure about spelling)

Brenoch
17th Mar 2003, 13:37
I would say that this thread has matured enough in here by now to be shipped on down to Jetblast..

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2003, 14:36
Hey I just stepped in here from Jet Blast.

Go in full drag. I did and it made a man out of me.

wait a minute....