PDA

View Full Version : Getting into 'the circuit'

SilsoeSid
7th Mar 2003, 23:01
Hi all,

I am asking for help in trying to get into the freelance circuit for this season.
I have 3300+hrs, rated on AS355 and also BH206.

Who are the best people to contact and just as importantly, who are the ones to avoid?
What sort of rates can I expect for both twin and single?

I realise that it is a series of early starts late finishes and a lot of hanging about in-between, but it can't be much worse than doing the same detail with a green suit on, in the middle of a field, in the middle of nowhere.

I would appreciate any assistance,

SS

SASless
8th Mar 2003, 03:44
Might be some short term spraying jobs in the Middle East.....don't know if the Iraqi money will be worth much for a while though. Also, might find the working conditions a bit rugged. Might be able to cross train into plank winged devices too.....joint operation I hear. Probably will need to be night current and willing to do things on the run. Things should be booming before long there.

MBJ
11th Mar 2003, 14:51
SilsoeSid - Cold, hard world out here in the UK. If you're in the Army, suggest you stay there. If you are already out then you need to haul your ass around the various operators, make yourself known, be extremely flexible, make sure your OPC and Line check is acceptable to more than one company. Be prepared to work off the cost of your checks in Flying days.

Rates vary, of course, £200-£300/day depending on how good you are with the pax, and how well you get on with the operator.

You will also come across the "Can't use him, we've never used him before," syndrome which can be irritating.

Watch out for your duty hours, though from what I hear the military isn't flying all that much?