PDA

View Full Version : Bit OT: BA FP'ing program

Muppet99
7th Mar 2003, 22:14
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the flightplanning program BA use to output SWORD/CIRRUS style flightplans? Is it available to buy or is it just a BA thing?

Many thanks

Whooaahh
10th Mar 2003, 11:11
To my knowledge, BA have been struggling with the implementation of CIRRUS to replace the SWORD system for at least the past 2 years.

CIRRUS is a highly customised version of the LIDO solution from LH Systems. You can certainly buy the LIDO solution if you have a shedload of spare cash lying around, wheter LH will successfully complete the install is a different matter.

More information can be found at http://www.lido.net

Whooaahh!!!

FEBA
10th Mar 2003, 16:09
Rumours abound that Jepessen are in negotiations with LH with regards to the outright purchase of LIDO (the product named after a swimming pool in Bexhill). Can anybody substantiate these rumours?

Muppet99
10th Mar 2003, 16:39
Hi

Yes you're right. Only 75% of plans used on long-haul flight are CIRRUS (target 100% which should have been achived ages ago). And as for short-haul, it was meant to be 100% implemented by Oct 2002 but it seems that it has not been implemented at all as we speak.

Thanks for the info on LIDO - couldn't find any prices but I'm sure it'll be well over my budget.

Are you in the fp'ing business?

Thanks

Whooaahh
11th Mar 2003, 14:11
I'm afraid so...

The last time I looked LIDO (straight out of the wrapper) was about US$800K plus implementation/training, customisation, maintenance, support, etc. so you have to have deep pockets or significant negotiating skills to play that game. It is really a BIG airline system and the BIG airlines don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment so LIDO are feeling the pinch more than the rest of us.

It's pretty tough on the frontline at the moment. Not much new business to be had out there and too many players in the market fighting for it. We are holding our own though.

Hadn't heard anything over here with regards to FEBA's comments but it wouldn't surprise me. Jepps has a load of Boeing money behind it now so in a better position than most of us.

I will certainly be watching this thread with interest if it does turn out to be true.

Whooaahh!!!