PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Requirements

captainmacuk
25th Aug 2001, 23:13
Hi there,

Anyone know what the instructors course/rating requirements are.
All I know is a PPL and 200 hours, what are the other licences and rating required?

Anyone know what the instructor job market is like just know and what sort of hourly rate the guys are on(I asked that Q in the instructors forum but knowone answered.)

See ya

helimutt
25th Aug 2001, 23:21
instructing jobs not the easiest of things to find but they do come along. Be prepared to move to get work. Not sure of the fixed wing requirements but you will now need to pass the Commercial exams before doing the instructors course. You'll need a class one medical too.
Look on the following web site for all of the latest CAA stuff www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk) and look up licence requirements.

hopefully you'll get the answers you need there.

Cruise Alt
26th Aug 2001, 00:53
£9 to £11 per air hour unless you get v lucky

Captain Chaos 747
26th Aug 2001, 03:02
hsving passed the cpl exams and teaching you will not be able to earn any money unless you also do the cpl flight training. But the biggest requirement of all is that you are prepared live on PEANUTS and be treated like sh*t. :mad:

captainmacuk
27th Aug 2001, 15:15
Hi Again,

Thanks for the replies so far guys,
I was wondering whether or not you also needed to pass the ATPL theory exams before being allowed onto an instructors course,

Is there also a written test to do with the company that your going to do your instructors rating with to make sure that you can do the course(I dont know where I heard this from but Im sure someone told me)

See ya

Cahlibahn
27th Aug 2001, 15:36
Try http://www.eurofly.co.uk/prod04.htm for a pretty good overview.

Luke SkyToddler
27th Aug 2001, 22:00
No Captain mac there's no written test, there is however a one hour pre entry flight test to determine your suitability for instructor training. This is specified by the CAA and the specifics are outlined in full in the AOPA instructor guide which can be bought fairly cheaply at any flying supplies shop. (I don't know much about the test content but I believe it has to be flown from the right hand seat).

Yes you will need to pass the ATPL writtens. Technically speaking you only need to have demonstrated CPL theory knowledge, however since it's not possible at the moment to sit the JAR CPL exams you will have to sit the ATPL writtens instead.

In addition to that, if you want to get paid to instruct, you will of course have to hold a CPL licence. (This may change with the introduction of the national PPL sometime late next year). It is 'possible' to do unpaid instructing on a PPL, the only thing I will say is that the reality of flying school workplace politics mean that you'll be about as popular as a turd in a punch bowl with many of your fellow instructors if you do so. (If you do a search amongst the wannabe's threads back 3 or 4 months ago you should find some interesting reading on this issue).

The instructing job market at the moment is much like the airline one - ie if you've got a bit of experience already then there's reasonable demand for your skills and living money to be made. However if you're a newbie looking for your first position then you better take whatever you can get to be honest. It's quite seasonal here in the UK and you're asking this question at the wrong time of year, the work really dries up over winter, it's bloody hard to make a living wage if you're only on a pay-per-flying-hour deal.

Email me if you have any specific questions you want answered.

Cheers L.S.

captainmacuk
28th Aug 2001, 02:49
Hi again,

Thanks for the replies so far,

can I just ask why the CPL writtens are not available at the moment and when they will be available again

Whats the difficulty level between CPL writtens and ATPL writtens,

See ya