PDA

View Full Version : A new Malgus approach? (merged)

Andy_R
25th Feb 2003, 16:15
Wondered if any of you had received Malgus' latest e-mail

We are pleased to announce that we now have got the support of one of the "Big 4" high street banks and as such they will assess each candidate who passes our selection criteria, and if possible offer trainign support to each candidate..........................MalgusLtd will work closely with our banking partners to make this offer possible and as part of our deal we will manage your training throughout................Throughout the next year we hope to offer training to 20 candidates with our new banking support and should you be one of them I wish you good luck

Am I being sceptical?

Part of the deal is to be a passed as a suitable candidate by going through their selection process (at a cost to yourself).

Up until now, this collection of funds has realised enough profit to sponser suitable candidates through their training at BAe Jerez.

Your thoughts??

In the interests of fairness their website is on www.malgus.com where more details are posted.

Happy Landings
25th Feb 2003, 18:53
Difficult one Cloud 69

Malgus always had that con man impression about it, however if one of the 'Big 4' are supporting them then they must have a sound business plan (ie going to make the bank loads of money with little risk!)

I know people who handed over £150 and got no where but then again some are now flying away in spain is it?!

At the end of the day £150 doesn't seem to be a lot of money to these 'recruitment agencies' it just a shame thats the way the industry seems to be going - only time will tell if they are any good or not!

By the way HSBC will give you a massive loan to become an airline pilot £20k + at 2% above base rate no re-payments till you finish your course if you want to go it alone!

joniveson
26th Feb 2003, 19:54
I would advise anyone to be very wary of Malgus. I saw their ads, paid my £150 and waited.... And tried to ring.... And tried to ring again.... Eventually I got to speak to someone after around four days of recorded messages and after a lot of changes in the dates went for their aptitude tests.

They promised results within two weeks, five weeks later I got mine. They promised that if I hadn't passed they would contact me and give me feedback as to what to work on to try again. All I got was a sorry you didn't meet the criteria letter, if you would like feedback call this number or e mail for a faster response. 4 months later and I'm still waiting for this faster response!

In my testing session they had around 50 people and as we were going out another 50 were waiting to go in. At the time they were doing the tests approximately every 6 weeks and hoping to send 16 people out in a year - not much of a chance really!

Shamrock111
27th Feb 2003, 12:41
I also got cheated by malgus, I applied for the apptitude test during the summer,paid my £150 , a few days later I recieved an email saying that I was confirmed for a test on the 17th of August so I went and booked my flights from Ireland to London which cost me a bomb and also booked a hotel then three weeks later I recived a letter in the post saying that I was confirmed for a test on the 30th of August. I booked for the 17th got an email saying your test date is the 17th but then the letter said that it was on the 30th. I contacted malgus but all they said that there was a problem with the location and had to change it. They wouldn't refund my money.

I would advise anyone to stay well clear of them!:mad:

Edited to remove a comment that may breach legal guidelines

joniveson
27th Feb 2003, 14:46
Have you actually managed to get a loan from HSBC Happy Landings?

I have been to see them today and they just don't want to know unless I have a job offer which I can't get without a licence.... I'm stuck in catch 22

dannyweaver
4th Mar 2003, 07:56
I'm off to Birmingham on 29th March to do the Malgus tests- any previous applicants got any advice? Anyone else here that's going (stupid question!)?

joniveson
4th Mar 2003, 18:54
Danny

there is a forum on them somewhere already, I put my experience of Malgus on and some others seem to have had similar experiences.

I don't want to put you off but don't expect very much - like to hear your results when they say you will or to get any feedback. Any time scale they might give should be doubled at least! Sorry to be negative but I think its a bit of a scam.

Take a look at the website for Saville & Holdsworth or SHL (not sure what they go under) - they are the tests you will take and there are some sample ones you can do on their website. You have to do a numerical comprehension one, a verbal comprehension one and a pattern recognition one.

What they were offering all sounded too good to be true. I think they have changed the offer now though.

Sorry to sound negative.

Good luck

chiefgaley
4th Mar 2003, 19:35
:mad: Think it is all a bit of a con myself. They go on about the most important part of the selection process being the phyco profile but this is the second part after the stupid aptitute tests that mean nowt and after they have took your cash. My advise avoid with a barge pole.

Chief

dannyweaver
5th Mar 2003, 07:40
I wish I'd known everyone was going to be so negative before I'd sent off my £147.:(

Has anyone had any good experiences of Malgus? Did any of you get past the first tests?

I went for it because know that whatever route I take to become an airline pilot, it is going to cost me an absolute fortune, unless I can get some sort of sponsorship. The way I look at it is:
[list=1]
If I don't get the sponsorship, I will have had the experience of the tests, which I have been told several times are used a lot in aviation and they would cost about £150 anyway if I chose to do them independantly.
If I do get the sponsorship, it's £147 instead of £60'000!!
[/list=1]

dannyweaver
5th Mar 2003, 08:53
Right.... After searching wannabes, I've found hundreds of sceptics and a couple of people who were actually successful- which I would say proves that it isn't all a big con.

I realise the odds are that I won't get the sponsorship, but I think (and I'm sure there must be someone that will agree with me) that it (read 'anything') is worth a try. I have wanted to be a pilot since I was three (beat that!) and I will try anything to achieve my ambition, including Malgus. I have spent years researching how to become an airline pilot and I know that the odds are constantly stacked against me (and everyone else), but the only way to succeed is to persevere.

seekingfirstjob
5th Mar 2003, 11:52
Malgus Ltd do have 2 people training in Jerez right now. Phone Jerez and ask. Their offer has changed, now they will select and get a bank to back your training.

Fair do's to them, its an approved bank support offer. Malgus were good with info on the phone, however wouldn't give out the bank name as they say they deal with one contact business to business. Bank details are subject to status.

There are a lot of sceptics on the site and a lot of rumours (hence the rumour network) most of the rumours turn out false. The fact that they advertise on PPRuNe means that they must have a valid offer, however remote the chance its still an offer.

Make your own mind up, its a chance and its a remote one at that however can you get training funds any other way?

As one said before the SHL website is pretty good with examples of tests used. Concentrate on verbal, numerical, spatial and diagrammatic.

http://www.shldirect.com/shldirect-homepage/SHLDirect-1.asp

Good luck.

seekingfirstjob
6th Mar 2003, 09:13
Guys

What you are paying for is the selection process, nothing else.

Malgus have obviously set up dealings with a bank to look at each candidate and loan money for flight training. Nothing illegal about that, in fact it happens all the time. Its the first of its kind for aviation and as such will draw sceptics out. CTC McAlpine offer where you sign a training bond.....whats the differance you still have to pay for your own training.

As far as I see it no bank will lend £60,000 to any joe off the street without some form of security. Could Malgus have satisfied the bank that their selection service shows that each candidate presented has a fair chance of getting throught the course?

Malgus get a bad rep on pprune however they do offer a solution to training funds and small minded wanabees who will never break into the aviation world due to bad attitudes and obvious behaviour problems (throwing toys out the pram!!!) should not discourage others who might actually make it.

Danny
6th Mar 2003, 13:09
Before too many of you throw all your toys out of the pram let me explain a few facts. I will not accept anyone who is so immature and infantile in their postings to accuse a company of anything illegal without them providing me with evidence and their real name and address so that I can forward their details to the lawyers who will have a field day.

Grow up and either post facts or reasoned debate. If you are so ignorant of basic law and are still in short pants, sucking your thumb don't even try to post allegations about illegal activity without evidence. Just spouting off something that has been mutated through the chinese whisper chain without any other evidence except "my mates mate told me" is not good enough.

As to the question why I have 'allowed' Malgus to advertise on PPRuNe, how pathetic can you get? I have entered into an agreement with Malgus for them to purchase banner space on PPRuNe. I have no reason to doubt their bona fides. I did my own reseach into their business and found nothing out of the ordinary. Therefore, I have no reason not to let them advertise their business on here and I'd thank you not to interfere with my decision on how I generate the income that pays for this website that allows some of you to come up with such pathetic points.

As has been pointed out above, it is not a lottery. Go and visit their website and read all the information. There is nothing secret. They already have students in training at Jerez. I can appreciate it if you have paid money for their assessment and not been successful but to then allege that it must be a scam is just sour grapes. If anyone has paid their money and not done their own due dilligence into where it will be going, then they only have themselves to blame if they feel they have been cheated. In that case there are several options open to them including Trading Standards, CAB and whatever advice they can get from their own lawyers.

So, fee free to debate the pros and cons of schemes such as the Malgus one, write about your own experience with them but refrain from making allegations that you cannot back up with hard evidence. Hearsay and dodgy allegations from barackroom lawyers are not welcome.:*

If SeekingFirstjob can find out the most basic information after the rhetoric from the 'angry attitude brigade' then it just goes to show who is the more astute and capable of using their intelligence to get at the facts. :rolleyes:

El Desperado
6th Mar 2003, 15:12
Oddly enough, I live down the road from a family who's friend's son was placed through Malgus. Yeah, I know... friend of a friend, but they are now training. Scam... no..... would you be better off putting that £147 on a 300-1 shot at the National every year... your call.

Malgus have changed their modus operandi several times now - first it was 100% sponsorship, then it was a kind of 50% deal, where you had to pay them back out of your salary (if you were fortunate enough to get a job), and now it seems it's just a bank loan facility.

£147 to *possibly* get a bank loan ? See the HSBC thread and make up your own minds. Malgus are not a charity, and are making money from you guys and gals.

If you go into it with the attitude of "I'm paying for selection test practice" then you won't be disappointed. The old "you won't get it if you don't go for it" phrase must be music to their ears.

I personally think this is ludicrous. Not illegal, just ludicrous.

Still, it's your money folks....

Andy_R
6th Mar 2003, 16:05
Hopefully I won't get flamed by Danny for posting this.

As i said in my post at the top of this thread I do believe in being fair. After an awful lot of research I take on board Danny's points as per the other thread running along this line. (Now merged).

I feel my views may not have been put succintly enough and have therefore been misinterpreted to some degree. It is most definitely not sour grapes. I am mature enough to realise that some you win, some you lose.

I confess I have had some misgivings about the scheme, as have a fair few others on this forum and have been guilty of giving Malgus some stick. Indeed I think I upset Malcolm with one of my postings last year, judging by an e-mail I received from him. But like myself he is running a business and sometimes things aren't as "black and white" to the outsider looking in.

Malgus do indeed have 2 people under training in Jerez and I am sure we ALL wish them the best of luck.

By posting the above new scheme I hoped to put the fairness back into the discussion and was actually looking for advice on how worthwhile others felt it to be to other wannabees. I also felt that at least Malgus were listening to opinions of their potential candidates and changing tack accordingly. This, it seems to me, is a good thing. All business needs to be flexible to meet the needs of its customers.

One thing Malgus do seem very good at is at least keeping past candidates in touch with any new product. Hence the quote in my first post.

And hence the quote below, which I hope Malcolm at Malgus or Danny at PPRuNe will not object to me posting. If they do then please feel free to delete this thread. Thought it may give hope to those wannabees that have already gone through the expense of GAPAN testing but have not been in touch with Malgus and therefore would otherwise be denied this opportunity:

Dear Subscriber,

I am pleased to announce that all students who have gained a High, High Average or Average pass in GAPAN selection tests can now be fast tracked into Malgus Aviation ltds selection process.

These candidates will enter into stage 2 and start their process with ourselves at the personality and group interview sessions.

If you are currently in possession of GAPAN test results and wish to come along to our next stage 2 event than please contact the office or email [email protected] for full details.

Regards

Malcolm J Clark

Yet more proof to me that Malgus are listening to their client base and diversifying accordingly.

I hope this opens the window of opportunity for a few more wannabees. You never know I may even try myself :D :D

And there will be those that knock it again, but even if it is a practice run at personality and group interviewing it will at least stand us in good stead for next time. At the end of the day if you don't try you won't know.