PDA

View Full Version : Appalling accommodation at Oxford

Feneris
6th Mar 2003, 17:06
I've just spent a few days at Oxford for the ATPL exams, and choose unknowingly to endure their terrible accommodation.

For £30 a night I got a tacky room with a desk(but no light), an awful bed with no headboard, a single pillow about 1 inch thick and a lousy nights sleep. (I went out pillow shopping after the first night, for myself and someone else staying there.) The room hadn't been cleaned, dirty floor, dirty sink covered in hairs, I wondered if the bed had been changed as I brushed more hairs out of that too:(.

Food - included was every bit as bad as the room, and the cleaning issue seemed to extend to the bowls and cutlery too. I wasn't the only person to be seen inspecting the cutlery to try and find a clean one. The food was pretty poor too, rubber saussages for breakfast and stuff like that.

Anyone else care to comment on the same experiences??

F

Flypuppy
6th Mar 2003, 17:40
If you have a choice of venue, then Silsoe is one to be considered.

Accomodation is around the 30quid mark for a room in the Conference Center which about a minutes walk from the exam hall. Rooms are all spotless, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast is included which you get from the main dining room in the college, a good hefty fried breakfast is available.

Dinner can be had at thestudents union bar for under a fiver.

Dr.Evil 2002
6th Mar 2003, 18:42
I see nothing has changed at Oxford then and probably never will!!!!

Commander Bounce
6th Mar 2003, 19:07
I also had the misfortune to find myself at Oxford this week...

There is food all over the canteen floors, waste bins overflowing, toilets with more pi$$ on the floor than down the drain (I can still smell them now just thinking about it), hand towels that are used up by 11am...

I passed the time by asking for a tour of the facilities...can't say I'm impressed, don't know why people say they are the best.

The venue for the exam hall is good with the friendly CAA examiners there, not intimidating at all.

If you want to stay nearby Oxford then stay in the village of Woodstock about 4 miles away. Nice village, lots of B&Bs I've stayed in Regent House B&B for £40 a night. For the £10 extra than Oxford this place will seem like a 5 star hotel. Then you also get the advantage of driving through the security gate without stopping, just wave each day and they think you must be a regular and you can see the look of confusion on their face as they don't know who you are but too embaressed to ask (small things like that keep me amused anyway!

liquidhockey
7th Mar 2003, 21:44
Bloody hell!

You would think that with what oxford charge for training that you would get decent accom!!!

Im shocked to read these posts because i thought Oxford was almost flawless (or so they would have you believe!)

Im glad to hear that the truth has come out because i am currently considering where i am going to do my ATPLs and i think i may think twice about oxford if this is the case!!

Dave

reido
7th Mar 2003, 21:54
I'm in agreement. I am considering where to do my atpl and the stuff i have been hearing about oxford has really put me off. However, you are i suppose buying 'the name', and if some airlines use oxford in particular, then it might be worth enduring poor conditions?

liquidhockey
7th Mar 2003, 22:04
Reido

Ok fair point but i mean come on! Flight training isnt survival training. Its only common decency on oxfords part to provide decent accom for students. The students have invested a LOT of money in oxford so they should have a decent place to stay!

Its typical penny pinching on oxfords part and they should buck up their ideas and aim for a flawless image rather than the 'give me insane amounts of money and you will get a worst place to live than you can imagine' image.
You should get what you pay for in this world and this isnt whats happening obviously!

Dave

batty
8th Mar 2003, 08:24
Accomodation at Oxford is not part of the flight training package, (or at least it wasnt when I was there) it is an additional option. I stayed at Upper Heyford and that was fine a two bedroom flat with a small kitchen. It was expensive, but comfortable. From what I remember the halls accomodation was not good, but you can find local lodgings far cheaper and far more comfortable.

You go to Oxford for the school NOT the accomodation, and incidently I got a job when I left so I am quite happy :D

santan17
8th Mar 2003, 11:48
I finished there in November, the accomodation isnt fit for animals and management is crap (or it was when I was there), but I do think the instruction is first class, both ground school and flying. Most people go and live nearby. rent is fairly cheap and there are lots of nice places to live within a 15min drive from the school.

Santan

Johnny 7
9th Mar 2003, 03:59
Not seeking to defend the poor accomodation at Langford (I presume) but until recently this was home to the sponsored fraternity at OAT & was deemed acceptable by BA,bmi,Aer Lingus et al. I agree entirely that the standards are not high compared to local B&B etc. There are plenty of alternatives if planning a longer stay.

Santan17-thought I heard you over "Mr Volcano" the other day!

Final 3 Greens
9th Mar 2003, 06:56
There's a pub with accomodation called the Wise Alderman in the locale which used to offer B&B in a separate unit for about £30 - if you turn left onto the main road when comping out of the airport, it can be found at the junction with Banbruy Rd, by the traffic lights.

F3
9th Mar 2003, 13:19
I see nothing has changed. A few years back Langford was the posh bit, Cherwell the dump (especially by Monday morning!). I stayed in Cherwell for 15 months, but to be perfectly honest after a few days you get used to it and I found it very useful to be near the Flight Planning Suite and classrooms. It was also good to hear a/c doing their thing all day and well into the night. The accomodation was approx £90 a week back in the late '90's, but from some of the previous posts it seems as though it's gone up a bit. I'm surprised the room was untidy - they used to be cleaned every weekday.

santan17
10th Mar 2003, 11:27
Johnny7 - Or was it the witch's hat??

ahh the good ol days :D

Santan